archBOSTON Update: A New Dawn

Great thanks. There was a lack of replies before, which worried me.

Apologies. I thought I had already replied to your original comment. I had not.

As a graphic designer who values accessible design, I have heard you loud and clear.

Apologies. I thought I had already replied to your original comment. I had not.

As a graphic designer who values accessible design, I have heard you loud and clear.

*like*

Speaking of, I assume the *like* feature is being added. Especially good for long photo posts

Do we really need a like button here? Ppl dont have enough of that already? Other forums I see that have them turn into just another shitshow popularity contest where people feign for likes. I enjoy this being one of the few places where its not a friggin contest or really social media at all, and its just an architecture discussion. Cant it just be that... Do we really need social media everything? If you want likes on your architecture pictures why not post them on instagram? Yea I know some people cant live without getting likes on everything they post, but dont you guys get enough of that already... woof.

Do we really need a like button here? Ppl dont have enough of that already? Other forums I see that have them turn into just another shitshow popularity contest where people feign for likes. I enjoy this being one of the few places where its not a friggin contest or really social media at all, and its just an architecture discussion. Cant it just be that... Do we really need social media everything? If you want likes on your architecture pictures why not post them on instagram? Yea I know some people cant live without getting likes on everything they post, but dont you guys get enough of that already... woof.

I submit that, given the number of times I see a post with half a dozen or more very large photos quoted only to have the only added comment be "Great work!", that there's a very real use case for a Like button here.

I submit that, given the number of times I see a post with half a dozen or more very large photos quoted only to have the only added comment be "Great work!", that there's a very real use case for a Like button here.

The new forum software and integrated databases will revolutionize the way we archive and search for photos; though there is a case to have a like button for thoughtful, contemplative posts that many should see.

For photo posts, sometimes theres nothing to say, but you want to let the poster know their work is appreciated.

I'm wondering, will the "small projects" threads be broken up, or will we be able to track them individually under their own location? I understand the need to declutter the number of threads, but I'm also thinking that may not be necessary with improved forum software and (I assume) a separate project database and map functionality like UrbanToronto. It seems like every project has its own thread over there.

I prefer having every project as its own thread, as it makes things easier to find and keep track of.

I'm wondering, will the "small projects" threads be broken up, or will we be able to track them individually under their own location? I understand the need to declutter the number of threads, but I'm also thinking that may not be necessary with improved forum software and (I assume) a separate project database and map functionality like UrbanToronto. It seems like every project has its own thread over there.

I prefer having every project as its own thread, as it makes things easier to find and keep track of.

We've tried to enforce standards here for small projects vs large and breaking out into threads vs neighborhood threads (ie "East Boston Developments"). We will continue that on the new software and enforce it better with our larger mod team.

Ideally they will all be broken up by project so they are in the project database.

Tentative plan is to upgrade to Xenforo this weekend. Will require the site to be down for a few hours. Will let you all know when.

When you do let us know. Someone should also post the down time on the aB Facebook page as that's usually where people look when the site has gone down in the past.

When you do let us know. Someone should also post the down time on the aB Facebook page as that's usually where people look when the site has gone down in the past.

I will be out, but if I get notice in time, I will post on the group. Ed and I have been in regular contact about the process.

is Xenfro crap? i hope not.

i like this format (very similar to Rennlist) just as it is.

am i a woeful dinosaur, way behind the times?

datadyne said:
Yes, it definitely is crap. That's why we are prioritizing an upgrade to it.

giphy.gif

Okay so we are planning to upgrade this afternoon starting around noon. Barring unforeseen issues should be back in a few hours. See you on the otherside.

Looks like the downtime caught all the missing posts from the last three days. I'm not noticing anything missing.

Overall looks good. One thing I'm missing though: on the old site on the new posts page, there was a direct link for each thread to 'the latest post I haven't seen' - i.e, where I want to start reading. Is that anywhere?

Back