Architect: Marcel Lajos Breuer

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought he should have his own thread, since he was Gropius' protege and had a number of commissions around the Boston area, including the Gropius House itself

Marcel Lajos Breuer practiced architecture at Harvard and had a number of commissions around Boston & Massachusetts. He also did a considerable amount of work in beton brut. And please, if you contribute to Wikipedia, help make his article better

Check out his list of USA works:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcel_Breuer#At_Harvard_University,_Cambridge,_Massachusetts_with_Gropius

If you're not an architecture person, you know him from his chairs:

220px-Bauhaus_Chair_Breuer.png
220px-Breuer_chair_2008.jpg
220px-Marcel_Breuer._Long_Chair%2C_ca._1935-1936.jpg

I love his mid-century commercial building and residences.

I didn't realize he did the Madison Park campus in Roxbury. Makes me wish I had checked it out when I lived in Boston.

German Wikipedia says he designed UMass Amherst's Campus Center

The Lincoln Campus Center [ Edit | Edit source ]

Breuers Campus Center (right) and Lederle Graduate Research Tower
The Lincoln Campus Center - also Murray D. Lincoln Campus Center , usually abbreviated as Campus Center - and a nearby parking garage, which are connected by an underground passage, were designed by Marcel Breuer , a student and later colleague and partner of Bauhaus founder Walter Gropius , designed. The Campus Center is named after Murray D. Lincoln (1892-1966), who received a bachelor's degree from the university in 1914 and later at the university ( Director of Agriculture in the 1950s), but above all beyond, including in advisory body to the United Nations ( United Nations advisory Board), became a significant personality. [10] The Campus Center was completed in 1970 and houses a quality hotel; it is also used for practical training of students in hotel and tourism studies. Until about 2005, a restaurant was housed on the top two floors of the building, after which the two floors were converted to accommodate a cafeteria, among other things.

Tallguy beat you to it Arlington! Good details though.

Back