[ARCHIVED] Harbor Garage Redevelopment | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Boston Arch (Aquarium parking garage)

I never really thought about the fact that the IMAX doesn't show Hollywood movies. It is baffling to me that the compromise for the IMAX theater was to make sure no one uses it. You would think that if an eyesore was to be built, you would want to make the best use of it and at least produce some tax revenue. The sales tax obviously goes to the city and state, but profits could be directly funneled back into the Aquarium to either lower admission prices or fund new programs and installations.

This could be the deal breaker. LOL.
If the Aquarium Executives were smart they would jump on Board with Chiofaro's development and plan their own massive redevelopment at the same time to incorporate the entire area.

The Aquarium should be able to raise enough for a massive development through fund raising.

The Aquarium looks like JUNK on the outside and smells like a toilet on the inside.

If the Aquarium IMAX were to show Hollywood movies, that possibly is contrary to its charter as a non-profit education-oriented institution, and could materially affect its tax status.

The Smithsonian's IMAX theaters occasionally show Hollywood films in the evening, but the Smithsonian isn't worried about is non-profit status.

If the Aquarium IMAX were to show Hollywood movies, that possibly is contrary to its charter as a non-profit education-oriented institution, and could materially affect its tax status.

The Smithsonian's IMAX theaters occasionally show Hollywood films in the evening, but the Smithsonian isn't worried about is non-profit status.

I saw Avatar at the Aquarium back in 2010 so it does show Hollywood movies on occasion, or at least it used to.

The Aquarium looks like JUNK on the outside and smells like a toilet on the inside.

Really? I always thought it smelled like...fish?

But yeah, the exterior needs a serious upgrade. The New Balance Marine Mammal Center is nice, but it's tucked in the back. The fish scale cladding was a clever idea but it didn't really work out.

The new development should tie into NEAQ somehow. Even if it's just a permanent public exhibit space on the ground floor.

The new development should tie into NEAQ somehow. Even if it's just a permanent public exhibit space on the ground floor.

Or a brother to Berlin's AquaDom, the world's largest cylindrical aquarium. ;-)
(Fun fact, the tank at the NE Aquarium once held this title after it was built!)

domaquaree-04.jpg

The-AquaDom-in-Berlin-Germany_Rich-marine-vegetation_543.jpg

The-AquaDom-Aquarium.jpg

aquadom03.jpg

There's actually an elevator inside the tank:
fahrstuhl-10845.jpg

Putting the Imax in the project was part of the previous plan.

If Chiafaro picks up the whole tab then I bet the aquarium would be willing to move. It also gives Chiafaro a chance to add a significant amount of open space. The neighbors are already asking how he's going to meet their demand for more open space.

Win, win all around.

The Aquarium should be able to raise enough for a massive development through fund raising.

Don't forget the Aquarium lost their American Zoo and Aquarium Association accreditation from 2003 - 2006 because of their shaky financial situation.

If Chiafaro picks up the whole tab then I bet the aquarium would be willing to move. It also gives Chiafaro a chance to add a significant amount of open space. The neighbors are already asking how he's going to meet their demand for more open space.

That's absolutely not a win for the City. Boston benefits from having major attractions on the waterfront and on transit. A move to Charlestown (what was proposed before) has no transit access and is off the beaten path for all but Freedom Trail walkers.

Having an aquarium in this location is something cities aspire to, not throw away so a developer can tack on a low-rise condo building. Even an ugly museum is better than that.

Last edited:

Don't forget the Aquarium lost their American Zoo and Aquarium Association accreditation from 2003 - 2006 because of their shaky financial situation.

How is the Aquarium in such DIRE financial straits when its the only show in Boston. Boston is a very wealthy town I'm not sure why Management from the Aquarium could not make this a first rate Exhibit. Something smells funny here.

I do not think it's Chiofaro plan to move the Aquarium from this spot. The Imax might have to move hopefully underground somehow.

How is the Aquarium in such DIRE financial straits when its the only show in Boston. Boston is a very wealthy town I'm not sure why Management from the Aquarium could not make this a first rate Exhibit. Something smells funny here.

I do not think it's Chiofaro plan to move the Aquarium from this spot. The Imax might have to move hopefully underground somehow.

I don't know. Why was the Franklin Park Zoo in dire financial straits in the early 2000s? Maybe because their exhibitions aren't attractive enough. Just because you're the only show in town, doesn't mean I will throw money at it if it sucks. I've been to the Aquarium in Chicago and let's just say Boston's Aquarium is nothing special.

You miss read my post. The previous plan for the garage included moving the Imax into Chiafaro's new buildings.

Did you only mean the IMAX? It didn't sound that way.

There is a hierarchy in the non profit world and the Aquarium in not at the top. The MFA and Symphony are at the top in Boston. No matter how 'wealthy' Boston is there is fierce competition for those dollars. I think a lot of philanthropist probably weren't veryhappy with the way the Aquarium over extended itself.

Now we're getting wayyy off topic, ...but:

At some point the NE Aquarium will come to terms that it is destined to remain a third-fiddle institution in this town as long as it continues to position itself as a fish museum. One day they'll realize the potential that exists in re-positioning as woods hole north, expand to an ocean science / climate science / ecosystem scope, and start acting as a platform for ocean-focused science, education and business venturing. Something like the science museum is doing with life sciences and the Kendall cluster ... but with the CIC built in.

This will be symbolized architecturally by their relocation from the introverted pillbox guarding the perimeter of the Town Cove / Faneuil Hall theme park zone to an extroverted glass pavilion embedded in the remnant of a then-defunct Fish Pier in the Seaport (once there are finally no more fish to fish and society gets serious about ocean management).

I'll offer no timeline for that - but it will happen someday, and until then the aquarium will continue to keep the lights on based on $20 admissions fees - and will do nothing else.

Now we're getting wayyy off topic, ...but:

At some point the NE Aquarium will come to terms that it is destined to remain a third-fiddle institution in this town as long as it continues to position itself as a fish museum. One day they'll realize the potential that exists in re-positioning as woods hole north, expand to an ocean science / climate science / ecosystem scope, and start acting as a platform for ocean-focused science, education and business venturing. Something like the science museum is doing with life sciences and the Kendall cluster ... but with the CIC built in.

This will be symbolized architecturally by their relocation from the introverted pillbox guarding the perimeter of the Town Cove / Faneuil Hall theme park zone to an extroverted glass pavilion embedded in the remnant of a then-defunct Fish Pier in the Seaport (once there are finally no more fish to fish and society gets serious about ocean management).

I'll offer no timeline for that - but it will happen someday, and until then the aquarium will continue to keep the lights on based on $20 admissions fees - and will do nothing else.

Great vision by the Aquarium Executives. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Back to Chiofaro's Project: I see no reason why Chiofaro does not get the Greenlight at this point. The entire development is focused on the communities request for as much open space as possible. We'll a retractable roof is pretty dam cool for all seasons of the year.

Now the height issue is 600 and 500 which is not much more than Harbor Towers next door.

I was at the Greenway Yesterday and was looking at Harbor Garage what a scar on the greenway. Chiofaro's project will bring Greenway and Boston on another level in my opinion.

I hope the Aquarium gets their act together and actually becomes proactive with this development and decides to clean itself up.

Harbor Garage proposal gets my thumbs up after:

1. Tower is as high as FAA will allow.
2. Iconic architecture, and don't wait until 11th hour of approvals to reveal architecture as with every other 21st century waterfront project. Personally, I don't care if public is focused on skating rink and public realm for another year of meetings. The public was focused on skating rink and tidal pool at countless Fan Pier meetings. The public focused on public realm (including a skating rink and later an Innovation Center with a 5-year lease) during Seaport Square planning meetings. Enough already about sidewalks and skating rinks.
3. Signature civic/cultural attraction on ground floor. I'm not asking for handouts, I'm asking for planning of a signature civic/cultural use early in process -- not just paying a quartet to play in the lobby. Simply aggregate all the normally sterile remnant interior spaces typically approved by the BRA (hallways, lobbies, meeting rooms, visitor centers, ticket kiosks) to fulfill State Chapter 91 ground floor civic/cultural obligations. BRA Waterfront Committee has seats for beach experts, harbor experts but no seats for seasoned input from civic/cultural sectors?
4. Ground floor plan must be planned at same time as exterior public realm, not an afterthought. Highest potential integration between open space, Greenway and ground floor retail/restaurant/civic/cultural mix of uses.
5. Project needs at least 33% residential density, not a scant 120 residential units. BRA stated for 10 years that alll large waterfront projects would be minimum 33% residential. I don't care if office space is more lucrative, this is among Boston's top locations -- highest and best use requires VISION.
6. Doors on the street. Atlantic Wharf is perhaps the best example of tidelands development in this regard -- with doors largely driven by the fact it was built on a historic base with lots of doors.

EDIT: Minor mods, gist remains the same.

Last edited:

Now the height issue is 600 and 500 which is not much more than Harbor Towers next door.

Not that I am against either of these heights, but..... they are 50% and 25% taller (respectively) than the existing Harbor Towers, so to call it 'not much more than', would be a stretch that even Jake the Dog might be impressed with.

Not that I am against either of these heights, but..... they are 50% and 25% taller (respectively) than the existing Harbor Towers, so to call it 'not much more than', would be a stretch that even Jake the Dog might be impressed with.

But the heights are in keeping with International Place, Federal Reserve and One Financial, all in a pretty similar context on the Greenway. In fact, until Millennium Tower rises, all the tall buildings downtown are on the Greenway, and near the water (but not on).

Love the Adventure Time reference. Obscure and wonderful. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back