[ARCHIVED] Harbor Garage Redevelopment | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Boston Arch (Aquarium parking garage)

Nice move Chirafo. I know that the odds are against him, but he's using logic and bringing the genreal public into this decision.

I agree, by showing this to everyone who is walking or driving by the garage, it will increase the input from regular shmoes who otherwise never would have heard about this project until the garage had disappeared and they wondered what the heck was going on there. (How's that for a run-on sentence!)

I wonder if it would even be a good idea to post a giant picture of the rendered project on the side of the garage to bring even more attention to the project.

or make a cardboard to scale replica over night on top of the garage haha :p.

View from Greenway:

photo-1.jpg

I must have missed earlier in the discussion... how is the Boston Arch (sounds like the name of this forum...hmm) handling it's parking? Are they going to tear down this garage and rebuild a new one with as many spots? I could care less about parking garages personally since I don't have a car, but I imagine a lot of people use the current garage and they will need somewhere to park in the future as well as the tenants at the new tower. I hope whatever they do for parking blends in somehow.

^^ Underground garage.

I wonder if he had to apply for some sort of signage permit to put that up?

To sell this project to a wide constituency, a photorealistic rendering of the opening hung from the garage's facade would be better than the silly "X-marks-the-spot" approach.

I'm pretty sure it was done that way because he couldn't actually get away with hanging a giant sign that read 'Fuck you, Tom Menino".

^^ Don's more than welcome to put that sign on my front lawn.

To sell this project to a wide constituency, a photorealistic rendering of the opening hung from the garage's facade would be better than the silly "X-marks-the-spot" approach.

This really looks absurd, and CHEAP.

Actually, I suspect you could't see the sea (the harbor surface) from pedestrian level while walking along the Greenway looking through the opening in the arch. Maybe if you were on a Duck or a double decker tour bus.

I am sure Boss Menino will send a crew of his shady henchmen from the ISD to have the sign removed within the week.

I'm sure Chiafaro knows this too.

Thus, the cheap (probably in the $5,000 range) "X" sign vs. a $50-$75,000 full-color rendering/wall scrim.

I actually think that it's a pretty smart temporary sign - it catches your attention, and since it'll be taken down very quickly, it had to be cheap.

I'm still campaigning with some colleagues of mine to have Chiafaro rename the garage the "Thomas M. Menino Greenway Waterfront Concrete Wall Parking Garage" and having a faux-dedication ceremony.

The Garage is ugly especially when somebody proposes to build an ICON on that location. Chiofaro pushing the cities buttons because they don't support his project. Might be time to get the white envelopes ready

Developer Donald Chiofaro has riled critics by orchestrating a write-in campaign to amass public support for his controversial two-tower project on the edge of the Rose Kennedy Greenway and Boston Harbor.

In total, there were 381 letters and postcards submitted in support of the Harbor Garage project, compared with the 252 letters opposed to the project, according to the Boston Redevelopment Authority.

The postcards and letters were submitted as part of the BRA?s public comment period.

Of the 266 postcards in favor of the 1.5 million square foot mixed-use project, 144 were signed by people who do not live in Boston, according to the BRA.

Many of the people who submitted postcards and letters in favor of the project were part of an effort, led by Chiofaro, to win approval for the plan. A majority of the letters opposed to the project were from Harbor Towers residents who cited density and height as the main reasons they object to Chiofaro?s plan.

The deadline for public comments about the controversial redevelopment of the garage were due on Monday. The massive two-tower project has sparked hotly contested debates, largely among Harbor Towers residents opposed to the project and unions, in desperate need of construction jobs, in support of the project.

Chiofaro and his development partner Prudential Real Estate Investors, want to a 40-story office tower and a 59-story residential and hotel tower where the Harbor Garage is currently located on Atlantic Avenue. The project would replace an existing 1,475-space garage. The garage is between the New England Aquarium and the Harbor Towers.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2009/07/06/daily59.html

It's so funny the Harbor Tower residents are criticizing the density and height of the project. I think they've got some penis envy!

Three words:

I. Got. Mine.

That's about as perfect of an explanation you'll ever get. Well said.

From the Boston Business Journal:

Boston Business Journal said:
Friday, July 10, 2009, 3:41pm EDT | Modified: Friday, July 10, 2009, 4:48pm

Aquarium, Logan hit Chiofaro proposal

Boston Business Journal - by Michelle Hillman

The head of the Boston Aquarium says its long-term viability would be threatened by developer Don Chiofaro's proposed Atlantic Avenue towers and a Massport official says new towers would dangerously encroach into Logan International Airport airspace.

The expressions of concern were included among 600 letters on file at the Boston Redevelopment Authority, which is weighing Chiofaro's proposal to build a 560-foot tall office building, a 690-foot tall residential and hotel building and a 770-foot tall skyframe in place of the Harbor Garage. The new structures would comprise 1.5 million square feet.

Chiofaro could not be reached for comment.

?As proposed...the project threatens the long-term viability of the Aquarium,? wrote Bud Ris, president and chief executive officer of the aquarium, which is just steps from the Harbor Garage.

The letter goes on to say the ?Aquarium is deeply concerned that the project will negatively impact the Aquarium?s visitors, staff, animals and facilities. Detrimental impacts from the six-year construction period that is proposed will seriously and negatively effect the Aquarium, and the combination of all the impacts of the project will endanger the Aquarium?s operational and fiscal health.?

The Massport letter states the project?s proposed building heights will have ?adverse safety and environmental impacts? because two structures exceed the recommended 600-foot to 625-foot height limitations set by the Federal Aviation Administration. Massport said it met with the Chiofaro Co. and made the developer aware of the height restrictions in the area where the Harbor Garage is located. Massport said the residential and hotel tower as well as the ?skyframe? would ?create significant penetrations into critical airspace.?

?Massport strongly supports the continued economic development of the City of Boston and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts,? the letter stated. ?However, as owner and operator of one of the Commonwealth?s most critical transportation infrastructure assets, Massport cannot condone and urges you to help prevent any degradation of the airspace surrounding Boston-Logan by tall structures proposed as part of this project.?

The Boston Harbor Association, an influential non-profit, said in its letter that the project does not meet Chapter 91 tidelands regulations which require developers to provide 50 percent open space. The Harbor Garage plan includes a 13,000-square-foot indoor lobby space that Vivien Li, executive director of the Harbor Association said ?is unprecedented along Boston Harbor to satisfy the tidelands regulation?s open space requirement with private, interior lobby space."

[SIZE=-1] All contents of this site ? American City Business Journals Inc. All rights reserved.[/SIZE]

LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back