[ARCHIVED] Harbor Garage Redevelopment | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Boston Arch (Aquarium parking garage)

^ Pretty sure they just mean the footprint.

Still dumb.

^^ Especially since the Greenway lays adjacent to the building, and Christopher Columbus Park is 50 feet away. Along with that, they clearly show there will be a clear path to the harbor and plenty of open space in the parcel. It's a very foolish old law.

Does Rowes Wharf provide 50% open space? We all know the Harbor Towers do...though they've gated it off so only residents can use that space. Doesn't that completely defeat the purpose of the law?

I'm at the public meeting on this project right now. It's a barn-burner. Vivien Li, Don Chiofaro, William Pedersen. The renderings look pretty slick. May be as good for the city as Raymond's project (Congress St.)

Wish I coulda made this one. Any chance of you getting any photos of those renderings, Brut?

I'll try and get a copy of the PowerPoint. There are some drawings I'll try and snap with my phone.

BTW: Big union presence here tonight.

So a really interesting meeting tonight. Was anyone else from the forum there? Didn't see any familiar faces in any case. I stood in the back, behind a guy who turned out to be Don Chiofaro's son.

This was all about Don Chiofaro's presentation, and questions and comments from the Impact Advisory Group (IAG) panelists. No one in the audience was allowed to speak. I had a couple of pointed questions for Vivian Li, that will just have to wait for another time...

Bill Pedersen's presentation was interesting. The PowerPoint had some new renderings (mainly showing the way the building meets the ground) that have yet to be posted here. This is forthrightly modern design that shows an awareness of Diller Scofidio + Renfro and Koolhaas/OMA -- true to current trends in architecture. Like International Place, the design is "of its time." I imagine that the scheme we've seen will evolve over time.

I spoke with Chiofaro after the meeting. He's an earnest showman -- seems like a good guy. I spoke to Pederson as well. We spoke of his design for Roppongi Hills in Tokyo (alas I didn't get there when I visited in 2006), and I mentioned this project and its innovative indoor-outdoor spaces. As I've mentioned on this thread before, I'm a fan of the home he designed for himself in Little Ram Island -- he was pleased by my comparison to Aalto and Lautner.

Beeb,
Thank you for your highly literate summary (as usual), and the chance to watch from afar. Did Ms. Li speak? I am also curious as to whether the Harbor Towers/parking issue was addressed. Again, thanks for the first rate reportage!
Toby

Viv was to the point with her questions (I was in the back, and couldn't hear particularly well). Essentially, she wants to know the project is "allowable" before she and her colleagues invest months in studying (some may say ruining) what Chiofaro is proposing.

She asked if the intention of the retail arcade was to go toward the "open space" requirement for the project. As shown, the arcade appears to be a winter garden. My high tech roll-up door suggestion may be a solution.

She also went on a long, somewhat inaudible diatribe about Massport, the FAA and the height of the proposal. I wanted to ask her how a 770' structure a quarter-mile from the path of Runway 9/27 is an issue when a 620' tower (the Fed) that is directly in the path of 9/27 is not.

A lot of unions present at the meeting, huh.

Roll out the red carpet for cost overruns and project delays.

Unions are the worst.

Couldn't Union influence be good though? If it's going to create jobs for them, won't they fight tooth and nail for this thing to be as big as it can be since the bigger it is, the more money it will earn them?

Every big development in Boston, since I can remember, has been built by union labor. Buju, your inference seems to be a dead end.

Thanks for the update, Brut. You brought up some real interesting points in your last couple posts. Did you mention these to Chiofaro and Pederson?

You brought up some real interesting points in your last couple posts. Did you mention these to Chiofaro and Pederson?

But of course. I sent some links on Shigeru Ban's Swatch Store in Ginza to one of Chiofaro's project managers. Spoke to some of the IAG panelists as well.

I'm a different kind of activist.

One of the guiding principles for development in this area has been to preserve the historical significance of the Custom House tower, especially as seen from the water. This development would completely block and minimize the place of the Custom House in the skyline.

004091.jpg

004107.jpg

004170.jpg

006142.jpg

006143.jpg

^ I think that's a moot point at the present time. The Custom House has already been blocked and minimalized, and adding another tower in its vicinity will not have much impact at all. It's historic significance stands on its own.

Used to be a view from the Public Garden. But there are all these unexpected street views, where wham! There it is. Like when you leave JJ Foley's on a late winter night and the city lights twinkle in the frozen pools of urine .

You want an unobstructed view of the Custom House? Go live in Greenway Center.

And Beton, Pedersen's house is amazing! I'll have to find more pictures and look at it more closely. I've always wanted to see an urban, larger scale project in that style. It's neat how the colors and materials are really modern yet also look like they belong, they sort of emulate the Earth.

Last edited:

There's a huge section on the Parking garage top to bottom with a bright orange line outlining where the view to the ocean will be opened up if the towers were to be built. There's a sign that reads "View to Sea" in the middle. It's facing the greenway. I'll try to get down there at lunch to take a quick pic.

This development by far would make the Greenway a much better place to visit for that area in the future. Chiofaro has the right idea of Canyonizing that area

The tax revenues alone would help fund the yearly maintaince for the Greenway. The BRA and Menino should be supporting this project. 100% Very Very Sad

yea I saw that sign....it looks like a giant bow-tie....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back