[ARCHIVED] Harbor Garage Redevelopment | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Boston Arch (Aquarium parking garage)

I would have expected the Aquarium to show some support for this. At the least, it seems like it would draw more people to the area. Certainly the construction period would be a pain, but they manged to survive all of the big dig work a few years ago. The aquarium is due for some re-construction also.

I want this tidelands act. The rest is bullshit

How much open space does the current garage make available?

I think the aquarium is just looking for a hand-out, because the argument that a parking garage is better for long term (20+) viability in place of a iconic building is crazy.

Developer takes it to the streets
Chiofaro uses all avenues to gain support for his plans for the Harbor Garage site

539w.jpg

Donald J. Chiofaro is using a giant red X on the facade of the Harbor Garage to call attention to his plan to tear down the facility. (Bill Greene/Globe Staff)

By Casey Ross
Globe Staff / July 15, 2009

It is an unusual sight on the facade of a downtown parking garage: A giant red X with a white sign in the middle that reads, ?Open To The Sea.??

The message is probably lost to most passersby. But the display is a novel attempt by developer Donald J. Chiofaro to call attention to his plan to tear down the Harbor Garage on Atlantic Avenue and replace it with a towering glass complex that would open a new passageway to Boston Harbor.

?We?re trying to help people visualize what we want to create,?? Chiofaro, developer of International Place, said of the sign. ?The existing garage blocks access to the waterfront, and we want to reopen that connection.??

The sign is one example of the aggressive public campaign Chiofaro is undertaking to garner support for his controversial development plan. The veteran developer wants to build a 40-story office building and a 59-story hotel and condominium tower on land between the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway and the New England Aquarium. The glass corridor at the bottom would be matched with an equally unusual flourish at the top: a 770-foot rectangular bracket, or skyframe, as Chiofaro calls it, linking the two towers.

It is the most colorful development yet from one of Boston?s most colorful builders. Chiofaro built the office tower 1 International Place during the 1980s when nobody thought it was possible to develop a complex of such size and expense. He is well known for his public fight to retain ownership of that development, as well as his blunt quotations and confrontations with city officials and rivals in the real estate community.

In a city as parochial as Boston, with a mayor who dominates the discussion over development proposals, builders largely take a discreet route to winning approval from City Hall. They reach out quietly to neighbors and public officials to assuage concerns or dodge regulatory snags that might leave them mired in a messy political fight.

By contrast, Chiofaro seems to gravitate toward the bold and provocative, even if it generates strong criticism of his proposals. He had plenty of warning about opposition to his plan for the Harbor Garage, but he plowed ahead anyway with a proposal to build some of the tallest buildings in the city.

His filing with the city generated allegations he had a ?tin ear,?? prompting Chiofaro to employ a bit of self-deprecating wit by handing out a doctored image of himself dressed as the Tin Man from ?The Wizard of Oz?? during a meeting with Boston Redevelopment Authority officials. A BRA spokeswoman declined to comment.

The opponents of his proposal include residents of neighboring Harbor Towers and Rowe?s Wharf, along with the president of the Aquarium and other high-profile figures. They argue Chiofaro?s proposal is too tall for the area and would conflict with zoning rules.

His tactics ?are amusing, but our friend Don wants the city and state to break the rules so he can shoehorn a massive complex as tall as the Pru in between Boston Harbor and the Rose Kennedy Greenway,?? said Tom Palmer, a spokesman for Harbor Towers residents.

To critics who complain about the buildings? size and height, Chiofaro suggests that maybe they?re not big enough.

?We?re not hiding behind density and height, we?re embracing density and height,?? Chiofaro said. ?A lot of people say to me, ?Why don?t you just make it shorter?? And I say, ?Why don?t we make it taller?? ??

Both of Chiofaro?s towers would rival the Prudential Center and Hancock Tower in height.

A former linebacker at Harvard, Chiofaro is approaching controversy the only way he knows how: head on. He confronts the opposition using every venue he can to advocate for his vision. He attends events where the mayor is set to speak on development and chats up neighbors and city officials. He hands out business cards with the omnipresent slogan of the Harbor Garage redevelopment: ?Today: Eyesore, Tomorrow: Icon.?? His employees and supporters are often seen wearing T-shirts saying ?Activate the Greenway,?? and he has printed the details of his proposal on place settings he uses for luncheons with area executives and politicians.

Chiofaro is awaiting the city?s response to the plan he filed in April. The response, expected soon, will incorporate hundreds of comment letters the BRA has received about his proposal.

No matter what the reaction, Chiofaro said the process is just beginning. ?I?m hoping to have a very healthy discussion about the right urban design for this property,?? he said. ?We?re trying to deal with a unique site and a unique opportunity to make a big difference in the city.??

Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com.

Link

I love this guy, so persistent and opposite of every other developer who passes through city hall. Of course people will get the sign. Not everyone knows about Boston real estate/development. If anything people will become more active because of it.

Well maybe not active, but aware ... and then form an opinion ... hopefully pro :)

I love Don Chiafaro - he's a nut. A Boston nut.

He looks at Menino and can barely hold his lunch down. Just like all other Boston developers. But instead of groveling at the faux-altar of this big dumb stooge, Chiafaro calls him out for what he is.

I still like the idea of renaming it the Thomas M. Menino Greenway Parking Garage, putting it in a trust, and walking away. In the parking garage lobby you could have the full scale model of the Boston Arch, along with large poster renderings of what could have been, along with a little bio on Menino and his short-sighted vision for Boston.

Norman Leventhal will probably always be my favorite Boston developer. He managed to get quality developments built without stepping on too many toes.

Drucker would probably be on the other end of the spectrum.

What other big names are playing in this little pool?

John Hynes. ^

Statler, good call on Leventhal.

Richard Friedman (Liberty Hotel, Charles Sq in Cambridge) seems to do a pretty good job as well (albeit on a much smaller scale).

I jogged by the garage last night and noticed some pics and mock-ups in the first floor windows. Chiofro's really doing a great job with the publicity for this. I hope it works and other developers take notes.

The way the Gov't Ctr. Garage team is handling their project is interesting too. Hopefully we're ushering in a new era/playbook.

The idea for this area is PRICELESS. We will always have some people like the development and others that don't like it. I personally like the development idea.

The only real problem I see is traffic both of Haymarket and Harbor Garage which is already a problem for the city anyway. City officials need upgrade the T system with all this stimilus money and make it very efficient for the future.

That is what our city officials should be focusing all their energy on. A cleaner and faster way to make transporation more accessible in the city.

Traffic's only a problem for the idiots who decide it's a good idea to drive downtown. I say let 'em stew in their cars for a bit.

Donny boy is really earning some points in my book. He's got some brass.

Boston.com - July 18, 2009
Mass. says skyscrapers are too tall
Chiofaro vows he?ll press for change to state and city laws

By Casey Ross, Globe Staff | July 18, 2009

The state?s environmental secretary has ruled that a proposal to build two skyscrapers near the New England Aquarium must be drastically scaled down to comply with height restrictions and does not contain enough open space to satisfy state law.

The finding released yesterday by Energy and Environmental Affairs Secretary Ian Bowles creates a significant hurdle for developer Donald J. Chiofaro?s plan to tear down the Harbor Garage and replace it with a pair of glass towers and an enclosed promenade to Boston Harbor.

?The proposed project is at such wide variance from the applicable state and local permitting requirements currently in force that it simply cannot be constructed as currently designed,?? Bowles wrote. ?In order to progress through the environmental process in a timely fashion the proponent will have to submit a dramatically different proposal.??

Chiofaro, president of the Chiofaro Co., downplayed the significance of the ruling yesterday, saying it only confirms what he already knew: that he must press for changes in state and city laws to proceed with his project.

?And that?s exactly what we plan to do,?? he said. ?The fact of the matter is that there isn?t any building that could be proposed for this site that could be built without a modification in the zoning plan.??

To win approval for zoning changes, Chiofaro will have to navigate a political and regulatory minefield at the city level. He must persuade officials at the Boston Redevelopment Authority to alter zoning regulations that limit the height of buildings where he is trying to build to 155 feet. His cur rent proposal calls for a 560-foot office tower and a 690-foot residential tower, which would translate to 40 and 59 stories, respectively. In addition, the two buildings would be connected by a 770-foot rectangular skyframe above the development.

The city would also have to grant Chiofaro relief from a requirement that any development along the harbor use 50 percent of its land for open space to allow public access to the water. Chiofaro?s proposal includes an indoor promenade from the building?s facade on the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway to the waterfront. But the ruling by Bowles said the promenade does not qualify as open space.

?To put it plainly,?? the ruling said, ?the ability of the public to look through, or walk through, the glass-enclosed lobby of a private building does not constitute a direct connection between the Greenway and the waterfront.??

BRA spokeswoman Susan Elsbree said the agency rarely considers changes to its waterfront zoning regulations in order to accommodate a single development. Elsbree noted, however, that issues posed by Chiofaro?s development will be addressed by a study to determine zoning guidelines along the Greenway. She also said the city intends to conduct a separate review of waterfront parcels that will consider Chiofaro?s property. That review will likely take many months, if not years, to complete, the city says.

Opponents of Chiofaro?s project cheered the ruling by Bowles. The board of trustees of the neighboring Harbor Towers condominiums issued a statement saying it is pleased the secretary rejected a project that would have ?overwhelmed the waterfront and new Rose Kennedy Greenway.??

Chiofaro said the ruling is hardly a death knell for his project and that he intends to continue to press for large-scale development on the property. He said he is open to suggestions about the design and expects to make significant changes in the months ahead.

?At the end of the day, we?re going to have to reach consensus on the right objectives for this development,?? he said. ?I?m absolutely sure there will be changes from the street level and atrium right up to the top floor.??

Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com.

Harbor Tower residents cheer a ruling in favor of greater public access to the harbor?

So the "Open to the Sea" was really "Open to My Glass Lobby"??!!!

Priceless.

I hate this fuckin state man. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. Why don't we just turn back the clock to the 19th century. Tall or not, why the state discourages the economy in any way is just ridiculous unless its really disturbing the environment is beyond me. Ya give all these tax credits to the movie industry, which I agree with, costing everyone money but you put the kibosh on this stuff when it won't cost you a damn dime.

I didn't read the whole article so if my comments are off topic...sue me.

Oh yea and why people in this fuckin state think so highly of themselves is absurd. These developers are just gonna take their plans and their MONEY and build in Atlanta. Why waste your time dealing with the fuckin assholes in this fuckin state. shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back