[ARCHIVED] Harbor Garage Redevelopment | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Boston Arch (Aquarium parking garage)

It does have the chance to be the nation's tallest since the Chicago Spire is growing the opposite way.

I'll take quality over height any day, whether with the "Freedom Tower"/WT1 or the Boston Arch.

I'll take quality over height any day

icon14.gif

I'll take quality over height any day, whether with the "Freedom Tower"/WT1 or the Boston Arch.

They tend to come as a pair. As many has said before, you can't really have a quality building without building up to make up for the extra floorspace that would have been there if it was just a box.

^^Rowes Wharf would like to have a word with you.

Burj Dubai is 2,684 feet tall. Nothing else is even close; built, under construction, or planned.

^^Not really, take a look at skyscrapercity to educate yourself. The Burj Dubai is 818m high. There is the 1000m+ Kingdom Tower in Jeddah in preliminary development, 1001m Burj Mubarak in Kuwait City planned, 1200m Al Burj in Dubai on hold, but construction was started, and the 632m Shanghai Tower with construction well underway, with the foundation already finished. [sarcasm]WAAAH why can't Boston can't get anything close to this, WAAAAAAHHHHHHHH[/sarcasm]

Honestly, I couldn't care less if this city never broke the current 800ft record it holds now (and the Hancock tower will always be a great iconic figure).

It would be a shame if Chiorafo's proposal got knocked way down. I think he really has something worthy that adds value to the downtown cluster as he did with IP. I can't remember who said it here, but IP simply is the new face of the Boston skyline. So dammit, let the man build!

The whole "Boston doesn't need tall, bold towers, we are a great city without them, look at how lively ours streets are blah blah blah" argument sounds like sour grapes (rationalization) to me. Why can't Boston have both? We like to pretend that Boston is a world-class city (it isn't, but that's a story for another day) so why not bild big and bold like all world-class and near world-class cities do?

If height doesn't work here, why don't we just deconstruct the Hancock and the Pru while were at it?

I didn't say we shouldn't build big (In fact, we really should be). I'm just saying I don't care.

Dublin will be tied with Reykjavik next year!

City gives Donald Chiofaro big to-do list for project
By Thomas Grillo Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hub developer Donald Chiofaro must complete a challenging, 60-page homework assignment to get his $1 billion Harbor Garage project off the ground.

The Boston Redevelopment Authority yesterday laid out what Chiofaro must do - including conform to still-unwritten city planning rules - in the months ahead.

The Chiofaro Co. plans to demolish the seven-story garage and replace it with a 40-story office tower and a 59-story residential building with retail, a 350-room hotel and 130 condos.

In addition to other requirements, the project needs a height-limit ruling from the Federal Aviation Administration. Chiofaro was also asked to take part in rezoning plans for the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway.

Residents of the adjacent Harbor Towers applauded the BRA?s comments. ?The city?s planning staff made clear that it would grossly violate multiple sets of rules governing waterfront development,? said Thomas Palmer, a spokesman for the Harbor Towers trustees.

Chiofaro, through a spokeswoman, declined comment.
http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...o-do_list_for_project/srvc=home&position=also

Waterfront review puts skyscrapers on hold
By Casey Ross, Globe Staff | July 21, 2009

Developer Donald J. Chiofaro may have to wait years before learning whether he can build a pair of skyscrapers on the Boston waterfront, the latest setback to hit one of the most controversial private developments in the city.

Boston officials yesterday said they will undertake the lengthy process of updating guidelines for development along the city?s waterfront, such as Chiofaro?s. He wants to tear down the Boston Harbor Garage, located between the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway and the New England Aquarium, and build a 59-story residential tower and a 40-story office building.

In its current form, the proposal does not comply with either city or state regulations, and just last week Massachusetts environmental officials said Chiofaro will have to seek to amend those regulations if he intends to construct buildings over 10 to 12 stories.

The city said it will conduct a lengthy study to update regulations governing the site and surrounding parcels on the waterfront.

It is already conducting a similar study regarding the Greenway.

The city also asked Chiofaro to conduct further studies of traffic, wind, and shadows, as well as whether the buildings would interfere with air traffic to and from Logan International Airport.
http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2009/07/21/waterfront_review_puts_skyscrapers_on_hold/

Last edited:

So basically they want Chiofaro to fund and do all the leg work for the Greenway that the BRA should have done years ago.

Then they will say you still can't build it past 200ft. Politicians are scum.

So basically they want Chiofaro to fund and do all the leg work for the Greenway that the BRA should have done years ago.

Then they will say you still can't build it past 200ft. Politicians are scum.

In a way, I love it! Chiorafo can take his time battling these dbags and hopefully get the rules changed. And while doing it, he is essentially doing 2 things. 1) Being a thorn in the side of the city for as long as the city decides to be an arrogant fool 2) Making a nice profit the longer that garage stands. Good for him!

How did PEI ever build Harbor Towers with all this ZONING B*llshit? Those buildings really gave the city a beautiful look. LOL

Bottom line: Harbor Garage is a disaster. It is ugly it blocks the waterfront right now from any living person walking around the greenway. What is the difference if Chiofaro builds a couple skyscrapers and is willing to open access to the waterfront through middle of his development which creates a corridor.

Wouldn't that be better than what we have right now? Open corridor. Instead of wall of concrete.

Who cares how high the project goes it's the city. Their are skyscrapers across the street from this development how many Airplanes hit them.

This is beginning not to make any sense.

This is beginning not to make any sense.

Maybe this will help make sense. If this was Belkin's garage, it would probably be miving forward with very little interefence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back