[ARCHIVED] Harbor Garage Redevelopment | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Boston Arch (Aquarium parking garage)

Also, in 2060 the Boston Marathon will pass by the building, according to that rendition. What about our rising sea levels? Shouldn't they build a moat?

I guess all I have a problem with is proportion. A single building of this height seems out of place - more an observation than an educated opinion. I feel it could cause the dreaded canyon effect. I don't necessarily agree with skeptics who say giving him approval for this one building will mean other developers will want more of the same, but precedence may be set, regardless.

I guess I have to think about it, more.

justin, thanks for linking a rendition that shows the 'Arch' from another side.

After they build it, and on those miasmic Boston days (and assuming movie production credits are still there for the taking) it can serve as the backdrop to Blade Runner: the Sequel.

I don't necessarily agree with skeptics who say giving him approval for this one building will mean other developers will want more of the same, but precedence may be set, regardless.

I've had a problem with this angle that opponents have used. I have tried to figure out other buildable lots that could capitalize on the precedent. Most buildings on the harbor side of the greenway appear to be here for the long haul, and on the downtown side so what? Tall buildings on the west back of the canyon already exist.

The lots on the greenway could never capitalize on it, since the tunnels below were not reinforced to support tall buildings (if I remember correctly).

My apologies if this was already posted.. i went about 15 pages back and didn't see this. This is on display of the Oliver Street side of 1 International Place. Food for thought to say the least, and better than seeing 1-2 renderings. Will this help/hinder the war of public opinion?

616405915_wsxw9-M.jpg

616406369_Tnsya-M.jpg

616406203_KX7dX-L.jpg

616406074_zsZbk-M.jpg

That shorter building is looking a tad chunky...did they bulk it up a bit?

We could these buildings The Laurel & Hardy Towers....

laurel-and-hardy_standees-l.jpg

From the renderings and above photos it looks like the walls on the north and south sides of both the tall and short buildings have no windows. Now I know these are preliminary, and it doesn't make much sense not to take advantage of the views; but why would they do that? I can see elevator banks making this necessary on the taller/narrower tower but I'd imagine they'd go on the side facing the interior of the arch. Concept aside (I like losing the garage), I'm lukewarm at best on the design.

I might catch some flak for this but I almost wish 255 State Street didn't exist or was in another location. It's such an obstruction along with the garage...though unlike the latter it wont be getting torn down anytime soon....

If that building didn't exist you could truly do wonders with that entire portion of the harbor....

Thanks, BOS77, for posting these photos. You've done a great sevice for all of us.

I still think the project needs some refinement, but DAMN! This is beginning to grow on me....and I was so sceptical initially.

From the renderings and above photos it looks like the walls on the north and south sides of both the tall and short buildings have no windows.

I believe it's just a set of closely spaced vertical columns that give off that impression while still allowing for windows ala the late World Trade Center. If you look closely you can see they are separated above the roofline, and you can see glass peeking out on the lower portion.

There's no way they'd give up those views.

^ I think you're right. Even better!

This project looks like someone added terra cotta to Albany's tallest building:

215335411_e34bbe358a.jpg

Photo credit

It looks like the will be a "window to the sea" after all. I can't really tell but there doesn't seem to be that glass lobby at the bottom of the arch.

ur right, kz, and that scares me. i really like the IDEA of these towers and what theyre trying to do but i think they need to go back to the drawing board and either make some significant tweaks or start from scratch. i just cant picture this coming out well. but hopefully im wrong

Still love it.....I never realized it until now, but the two buildings aren't parallel....I guess that makes sense to give some views to the people on the interior facades of the two buildings....I think that also makes sense if there are windows on the those facades, otherwise why not go parallel.

This looks AWESOME. This is the future of BOSTON. They should have let this guy develop FAN PIER.

I have to say, looking at that model, it is kinda bad ass.

It looks like these models hold true to those strange cement crevices at street level that we saw in the renderings. That's my main concern at this stage.

Boston needs more interesting towers. Boston needs less bulky garages.

Thanks for the pics Bos77! That model looks really cool. The buildings are very sleek looking. I'm going to have to go check that out after work soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back