[ARCHIVED] Harbor Garage Redevelopment | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Boston Arch (Aquarium parking garage)

did a quick edit job in paint i think it looks amazing without the arch

It doesn't look too bad that way. However, we already have two near identical buildings, one shorter, one taller, just down the street at Int'll place. I don't know if that same scheme will work just a short distance away.

If they can't do the arch, then they need to completely overhaul it (they can't do the arch if it's only going to be the same height as many of the nearby buildings). Hacking up the original design is just that... a hack job. The arch was great when it was the arch; without it, it's two similarly styled buildings of different heights, just like IP.

Furthermore, those two buildings without the arch are just boxes that are the same height as nearby buildings. If it's going to be the same height (actually, about 10 feet taller than the next highest in that area), a spire (they don't count in the "height" stats, do they?) and tapered design could at least detract from the stump effect a little bit.

Honestly, if this and Gov't Center Garage Towers get built they will be a welcome addition to the plateau.

Well then, I guess you can throw today's pics in the history bin.. seen at International Place:

img2202z.jpg

img2203q.jpg

This is what I would change (hackiest paint job ever)

towers.jpg

Skywalk baby!

Well then, I guess you can throw today's pics in the history bin.. seen at International Place:

img2202z.jpg

img2203q.jpg
I like the way it looks in the 1st pix not so much from the water in the 2nd nice scoop kz1000ps!

Keep the tall slender one, without the arch, totally redesign the stubbier tower with the same materials palette, and improve the street relationship. Lower level (15-20th storey) skybridge between both towers.

It doesn't look too bad that way. However, we already have two near identical buildings, one shorter, one taller, just down the street at Int'll place. I don't know if that same scheme will work just a short distance away.

If they can't do the arch, then they need to completely overhaul it (they can't do the arch if it's only going to be the same height as many of the nearby buildings). Hacking up the original design is just that... a hack job. The arch was great when it was the arch; without it, it's two similarly styled buildings of different heights, just like IP.

Furthermore, those two buildings without the arch are just boxes that are the same height as nearby buildings. If it's going to be the same height (actually, about 10 feet taller than the next highest in that area), a spire (they don't count in the "height" stats, do they?) and tapered design could at least detract from the stump effect a little bit.

Idk man these are some pretty unique looking buildings iv never seen anything else that looks like them. I hope they go forward with it and add more density to that side while still allowing for a trans national type building to become the focal point for the downtown skyline. Anyways the smaller building is still about as tall as international places taller building so it works well.

Last edited:

Lame, I liked the arch.

Will we ever see a downtown tower break 700'?

Good question. Maybe whatever is built at the gravesite of TransNational Place will break 700. Hopefully around 900 or so...but who knows what reasons the FAA, NIMBYs and the BRA will come up with to prevent that from happening.

FAA, NIMBYs and the BRA

The unholy alliance of acronyms?

Does Vivian Li have an organization with one, too?

Does Vivian Li have an organization with one, too?

TBHA = The Boston Harbor Association

Let's not also forget the EPA and CLF (Conservation Law Foundation). :)

Banker & Tradesman - Oct 29, 2009
FAA Wants Chiofaro Plan Cut Again

By Paul McMorrow

Banker & Tradesman Staff Writer

Today

An early rendering of Chiofaro's proposed Harbor Garage redevelopment project.The Federal Aviation Administration has told Boston developer Don Chiofaro that it will not greenlight any building higher than 407 feet, dealing a potentially serious blow to his plans to replace the Boston Harbor Garage with a pair of sleek towers.

Chiofaro cut the height of his $900 million redevelopment proposal two weeks ago - presumably in a nod to the FAA and Massport, which had insisted they would not entertain any development proposals higher than 625 feet. Chiofaro's redesigned project complied with that height limit. The tallest element of his 1.5 million-square-foot office, retail, hotel and condominium complex had stood at 770 feet.

The FAA's letter, released today, requests additional substantial cuts. It says any height above 407 feet "will result in a substantial adverse effect" to air navigation.

A height of 407 feet would put Chiofaro nearly exactly on par with his neighbors at Harbor Towers.

The FAA's notice comes as a surprise, as they and Massport has gone to great lengths to promote a map of air corridors they consider critical to Logan airport. That map says the height limit for a building at Chiofaro's Harbor Garage site would be 625 feet.

In August, Massport planner Flavio Leo told Banker & Tradesman that his agency published the map so developers could tailor their development proposals to its contours before taking plans to the FAA.

The notion of development height around Logan airport is fraught with controversy because, while Massport and the FAA seek to enforce height limits, their recommendations carry no legal weight.

"We don't have zoning authority," Leo said in August. "So what we've done is provide a map that's guidance." Leo added, "We need to view airspace the way we view runways and terminals and roadways. It's an asset of the airport."

He also said the FAA and Massport have the Boston Redevelopment Authority's word that the development agency will enforce their height dicta. "The BRA is very supportive. They know that these are real surfaces, that it's not just Massport making these things up."

A statement released by Chiofaro's office said the reaction was expected and they will continue to seek approval from the FAA.

"We will continue to pursue approval of the tallest structure we can which our expert consultants indicate can exceed 700 feet," the statement reads. "We are mindful and respectful of the Massport 625 foot height guideline and look forward to working with Massport and the BRA to finalize a design that is feasible and can accomplish our objectives of creating a new landmark mixed use property."

Someone better grab a couple of hacksaws and head over to the Federal Reserve and One Financial Center.

time to move that airport! this sucks downtown will never look any different than is dos'e today!

I'd actually like to see granular data from the FAA, filtered through a risk-assessment analytical tool on west-bound departures using Runway 9/27. How many flights have been aborted, in in those cases, how may of them have passed within 1000' of this site? I can assure you, it won't add up.

My guess: someone monied resident in Harbor Towers got to Capuano, and he called the FAA.

I believe that one of the most powerful democratic strategists in New England lives in Harbor Towers. No idea if he would even care or worry about this, but Beton's post reminded me of this fact.

Something stinky is going on here. The FAA said 625' and now that it's Chiafaro, have suddenly have changed their minds by deciding this should suddenly be cut a whopping 33% more than they said in August.

It's ludicrous to think that a commercial jetliner is threatened by this property when the 600' International Place sits behind it, and the 600' Federal Reserve sits next to it.

If this is true, the runway or airport needs to be changed, not the entirety of the Financial District.

Stinky, stinky, stinky city we live in.

Jesus people, don't get your panties up in a bunch just cuz the Donald Trump of Boston can't get his way. You all realize that this is the dance that every developer knows to do to get something built, right? And don't anyone suggest we move Logan just so some douchy developer can build a taller building; that building wouldn't even be economical if Logan wasn't so close to downtown. Logan is a blessing and height limits are, for Boston, old as time.

It would be nice to read the full text of the FAA letter, but the reference to "air navigation" may refer to interfering with radar coverage of aircraft on approach and helicopters flying along the Charles.

It just doesnt make any sense, that runway goes nowhere near where those towers would go it doesnt even go over the prudential center. If these towers wont fly then the south station doesnt have a chance because thats a lot closer to the flight path.
wtf-1.jpg

This picture shows how if they moved the runway over only a tiny bit over a long distance it brings the flight path entirely away from anywhere tall buildings would be built in boston. They have already had to fill in some ocean to build runways for logan in the past and it would only be like 50 feet out tops. This is by far the most practical and necessary approach as opposed to moving the entire airport somewhere else. Although moving the airport would allow create some spankin new waterfront homes its not practical.
wtf3.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back