[ARCHIVED] Harbor Garage Redevelopment | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Boston Arch (Aquarium parking garage)

I amliking this because it reminds me of the HISTORY which is the pictuer of guy with the flag and drumming boy and flute player for the REVOLUTIONARY WAR. BUT, the FAA are abunch of dumbos if they thinks the Jumbos would be flying over the flag carrying guy building because if they were, everyone would be screweed already if they were THAT low. They must be prety STUPID not to understand what I am seeing here!!!

Snappley comebacks like that you oute to be on TV doing late nite monologue.

If you look at the last picture of the model, it looks like the residents that are in the tower on the left facing the garage are the only ones that will have "their" view diminished. Something I thought should be mentioned since most of them will not have their investment compromised. Every single one of them will have their parking spot replaced. Still not sold on the arch, but I like the non-symmetry to it.

The FAA issue with the height of this proposal is not based not on a regular overflight path, as was the case with Winthrop Square. The FAA is concerned about an abortive take-off like the USAir Flight 1549 that landed in the Hudson River in January.

I live in the shadow of Logan Airport, and I think the concerns about the height of this proposal addressed by the FAA and/or Massport are absurd in the extreme.

I am agreeing with you!!! Make more sense to KILL all birds first so not sucking enginies. Plame with no engines will crash into hbor towers anyway

I wonder how the terracotta looks when set into the overall waterfront palette. On the plus side, at least it isn't white vinyl siding.

In considering William Pedersen's recent work, I think the terra cotta "simulates" Cor-Ten steel, the cladding material he chose for his new home. Terra cotta looks good on 45 Province, and on DFCI's Yawkey Center. My only concern is its long-term durability at this scale, and in Boston's climate.

Thank you. I've always wondered about this material. Is this what is on 100 Summer Street (aka Blue Cross/Blue Shield or Lollipop Building)?

Whoops on the "Blue Cross" building! Used to "date" a Lauren Hutton lookalike (the 70's-80's edition) who worked for Blue Cross at 100 Summer. My bad (on the address, that is.)

I do believe we will see this structure built, just a hunch. That being said, I think it will end up being the height of harbor towers and not its current presentation. This may not be a bad thing for this particular design.

I wonder how the terracotta looks when set into the overall waterfront palette. On the plus side, at least it isn't white vinyl siding.

Wait until the BRA notices the architect hasn't included any. You think they're pissed now?

Surprise!

This is unfortunate seeing as much of the design hinged on the height. I'm cringing at the thought of a shorter, stubbier version of this. Then again, there was enough in the article to make me believe that the original design would be scrapped altogether in favor of something entirely new (with a "rooftop observatory"). 625 feet to the highest floor isn't much worse than 690, but I think the design needs a complete overhaul if it's going to be chopped. The whole "Gateway" thing would only have worked if the arch stood much taller than any of the financial district buildings. At 625ft, it would only be a little higher than the Fed Reserve, One Boston Place, and Int'll Place... it would "blend in" too much. At 625 (it still would be the tallest aside from the Hancock and Pru.) something tapering and sleek would be nice.

Chiofaro to lower waterfront tower
October 14, 2009 04:18
By Casey Ross, Globe Staff

Bowing to stiff community opposition, Boston developer Donald J. Chiofaro is proposing to lower the overall height of his proposed office and residential complex near the New England Aquarium, by lopping off a large decorative rectangular arch and reducing the tallest building by at least 65 feet.

The rectangular arch, or terra-cotta skyframe, would have topped the development off at 780 feet. Removing it, and building a shorter tower would reduce the overall height by 155 feet, or 20 percent. In an interview Chiofaro also said he wants to add a roof-top public observatory and extend a planned walkway to directly link the aquarium with the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway. (The image shown on the left is the rendering for the previous plan for the towers, which has since been amended. Image is courtesy Kohn Pedersen Fox Architects.)

"This is the one site in the city that can really deliver what's needed for the Greenway," Chiofaro said of the property, which is now occupied by the Harbor Garage, a hulking concrete structure that would would be demolished as part of his $1 billion redevelopment plan.

Chiofaro wants to build two towers -- one office and the other for a hotel and condominiums -- on a 57,000-square-foot parcel along Atlantic Avenue. The project would include ground-floor shopping with restaurants, stores and a food market, and 1,400 parking spaces underground.

Initially, Chiofaro had proposed the residential building at 690 feet and the office at 580 feet, with the two connected by the terra-cotta skyframe. But neighbors oppose it and the Massachusetts Port Authority raised concerns that the development would interfere with air traffic to and from Logan International Airport.

Chiofaro said Massport officials have asked that the development be no higher than 625 feet. "I have no problem with 625 feet, if that's where end up," he said.

link: http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2009/10/chiofaro_to_low.html

No skyframe = giant lame...

It was this or it was going to be value engineered out. Let's hope that 2.0 will be less of a dick waving contest.

did a quick edit job in paint i think it looks amazing without the arch
arch.jpg

This was planned all along. The arch was a giant gimmick meant to throw the focus of the community groups. Well played, though it would be cool to somehow stick it up there again.

Congrats everyone. We now have another addition to the plateau. Should stick it closer to the SST and the Federal Building so that all of them will be within 10 ft difference in height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back