Archstone Block - Mid 80s

type001

Reaction score
Ahh, the good ol' days. RichardThomas sent me this picture.

arch_stone_block.jpg

Is that construction fencing a preparation for demolition, or is it part of T station construction?

I missed out on all the good stuff. :(

25cents?

Somebody needs to open a new one of those

God Boston has change a lot since then. I remember seeing that when I'd go into the city as a kid.

whats cool about that pic is that half that block actually still exists. that tree in the upperleft hand corner is well preserved on the Registry building. Too bad the pilgrim theatre isn't still there - I've never seen a pic of it before!

My, how times have changed. Why go to a theater when you have the internets? :p

I would be scared walking to or from the T station at night here.

Courtesy of Google Street view, here's the current condition:

Street View

I'm not sure how much safer I'd feel walking to/from the T late at night today than I would at the time this picture was taken. Some shady folks still hang out there, but a llot fewer people than would have been attracted by the adult entertainment would be around.

Taxi Driver in Boston! Really fascinating. All of it before my time. But I've walked through there a bunch (getting from Chinatown to the Loews and vice versa), and it's always struck me as sketchy. Apparently a lot of drug deals go down in that area, and it shows.

My, how times have changed. Why go to a theater when you have the internets? :p

I would be scared walking to or from the T station at night here.

It was pretty safe, despite the Andrew Puopolo murder. The 70's there were amazing. White Eldorados pimped out with the full Superfly package, Pam Grier lookalikes on every corner, Rep. Wilbur Hayes jiggling with Fanny Foxe on the stage at the Pilgrim. Times Square too...man where is my Curtis Mayfield cd?

From Wiki,
In October 1966, the Boston Herald began running stories pointing out that the only commemoration of the Liberty Tree site was a grimy plaque on a building three stories above what is now the intersection of Washington and Boylston Streets. Reporter Ronald Kessler [1] found that the plaque, a block east of Boston Common, was covered with bird droppings and obscured by a Kemp?s hamburger sign.

No one in the area had even noticed the site ?where America was born.? Local guidebooks did not mention it.

Kessler persuaded then Massachusetts Gov. John A. Volpe to visit the site. A photo of Volpe examining the plaque from a fire engine ladder appeared on page one of the October 6, 1966 edition of the Boston Herald.

Volpe promised to preserve the site, and eventually the Boston Redevelopment Authority created a handsome bronze bas relief replica of the liberty tree and installed it in a small plaza on Boylston Street at Washington Street. The plaque bears the inscription "Sons of Liberty, 1766; Independence of the Country, 1776."

That place is not necessarily mutually exclusive with a DD's...they're always willing to find new ways to, um, penetrate the market...

Is that construction fencing a preparation for demolition, or is it part of T station construction?
I believe it was when they tore down the elevated line and were connecting the old stations(essex here) to the new orange line tunnels

I'm not sure how much safer I'd feel walking to/from the T late at night today than I would at the time this picture was taken. Some shady folks still hang out there, but a llot fewer people than would have been attracted by the adult entertainment would be around.
It was safer when there were lots of people. You only found trouble if you looked for it.

I believe it was when they tore down the elevated line and were connecting the old stations(essex here) to the new orange line tunnels

I don't think so. The join point between the new tunnel and the old elevated incline was several blocks south of here, beyond Kneeland Street.

They rebuilt Essex, and that's what you're looking at here imo, but it was separate from the El.

Back