Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

Re: Assembly Square Redevelopment

The Rt 16 bridge. I think it's the only movable span on the Mystic other than Rt 99/Alford St.

http://goo.gl/maps/5FWJY

The one on 16 used to allow commercial boats up to the former industrial properties in Malden along River's Edge Dr. It's decently high enough to allow most pleasure boats, so it's been derelict for years. In baaaaad shape...they have traffic cones up on it all the time because of buckling pavement around the expansion joints.

99 is the only Mystic draw still capable of opening since it's south of the locks, rather low, and still serves trace amounts of barge traffic.

This is a bridge over the Malden River, not the Mystic River.

(Route 16 also crosses the Mystic River a few times, such as near Meadow Glen Mall, but none of those crossings are drawbridges.)

Last edited:

058_zpsa4f0bfb5.jpg
060_zpsc1557737.jpg
059_zps2fa439d8.jpg

Is this first building going to be the movie theater?

Updated map of project site including new developments on the former IKEA parcel. From what I figure the buildings in blue are offices, yellow are residential, and beige are retail.
picture.php

I'm hoping that upon full buildout, they can just bundle all those lots around the mall development into one garage (not that the place won't be saturated with parking spaces enough as it is, but...) and build some more mixed use.

Note that everything south of (right of) Foley Street and west of (below) 'Grand Union Drive' is not Federal Realty-owned property.

I'm hoping that upon full buildout, they can just bundle all those lots around the mall development into one garage (not that the place won't be saturated with parking spaces enough as it is, but...) and build some more mixed use.

I really don't understand why all those smaller lots in the development weren't folded into one garage, or left out entirely. Are the huge lots there ever at capacity?

The lots northwest of Foley and 'Grand Union' belong to the Assembly Square strip center, formerly an enclosed mall, which predates all of the other Federal Realty development.

Many of the other lots are on non-Federal Realty property, as I mentioned above. The big one along Mystic Avenue is for a Home Depot (and a former Circuit City, now vacant).

(note that north is to the left on this map)

"Revolution Drive"? "Grand Union Boulevard"? Stupid street name problem persists.

To my knowledge, the legal official name of what the map calls 'Grand Union Boulevard' is (still) 'Assembly Square Drive'.

I like Grand Union Boulevard if it was actually going to be a grand boulevard rather than a service road for a mall parking lot.

Isn't "Revolution Drive" the changed "Ikea Way"?

No developer wants to be surrounded by streets, anymore. The "in" grid today is composed of ways, rows, boulevards, lanes, and drives.

Often these suffixes are preceded by the utilitarian designation of why one might use a given thoroughfare. E.g. Marina Park Drive, Courthouse Way, Parking Lot Boulevard, West Service Road, Left Turn Lane.

My guess is they do this to evoke the urban beauty of Phoenix.

Revolution Drive - So they are building the soccer stadium there?

Grand Union Drive - Memorializing the Civil War with no context!

Grand Union Boulevard sounds like it would have something like this at the end of it.
29487579.jpg

Left Turn Lane

Ha! If I'm ever a developer or planner and I'm laying out some roads, I want to name a street like that. I'll give you your due credit, though. Shepard Court will come off of Left Turn Lane.

No developer wants to be surrounded by streets, anymore. The "in" grid today is composed of ways, rows, boulevards, lanes, and drives.

Often these suffixes are preceded by the utilitarian designation of why one might use a given thoroughfare. E.g. Marina Park Drive, Courthouse Way, Parking Lot Boulevard, West Service Road, Left Turn Lane.

Thats... really lame...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard

Thats... really lame...
Probably the result of decades of suburban development building in this country and almost no city and town building.

Back