Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

Re: Assembly Square Redevelopment

Are we talking about the same, new development?

And no, they didn't push away Wegman's. The aldermen are calling for added density and height. We should be applauding them.

I brought up the Wegman's scenario based on process of elimination. The developer was looking for up to 130,000 for supermarket space. That eliminates S&S and Shaws (average size 55,000 square feet). I don't think Market Basket would fit the site given the demographics of AvalonBay's target market and the closeness of their mega-store in Chelsea.

To me that only leaves Wegman's as their potential supermarket tenant.

I'm all in favor of height and density, but they would be the one retailer I might make an exception for as the demographics of the area, combined with proximity to the T could have made it a huge destination that would have spurred the build out of the remainder of the Assembly Square site. More than IKEA ever would have.

You know what would be perfect in this area? A large entertainment center, with video games, laser tag, batting cages, rides, etc for the kids, as well as tons of pool tables, large tv's to watch the games, cheap food, beer... Something like a much more versatile and affordable version of Dave and Busters. If I lived in or around Somerville, I could see myself going to this place all the time...... {sob}

You know what would be perfect in this area? A large entertainment center, with video games, laser tag, batting cages, rides, etc for the kids, as well as tons of pool tables, large tv's to watch the games, cheap food, beer... Something like a much more versatile and affordable version of Dave and Busters. If I lived in or around Somerville, I could see myself going to this place all the time...... {sob}

Didn't they have something like that that they closed town because it was becoming a problem with teenage hooligans? Although I agree, the area in general needs a lot more games. Now I have the image in my head of batting cages cantilevered over the train tracks.

What makes you think Assembly Square has 'failed' ? It is under construction and mostly not yet open.

Didn't they have something like that that they closed town because it was becoming a problem with teenage hooligans?

Good Time Emporium has some crime problems from time to time, but that's not why it closed. Ikea bought the land that it was on.

Didn't they have something like that that they closed town because it was becoming a problem with teenage hooligans? Although I agree, the area in general needs a lot more games. Now I have the image in my head of batting cages cantilevered over the train tracks.

If you want fun and games, head to Government Center. They are setting up a carnival of sorts right now. Not sure how long it will be in town, but should all go for a ride on the tea cups!

Good Time Emporium has some crime problems from time to time, but that's not why it closed. Ikea bought the land that it was on.

Good Time Emporium was the only reliable draw Assembly Square had beyond Home Depot. It was packed all the time, and affordable enough to draw a lot of people from East Somerville.

Unfortunately...not perceived as upscale enough for the new Assembly developers to ever seriously consider giving it a place there now. If they tried it again it's probably going to be something much pricier and more sterile.

Didn't they have something like that that they closed town because it was becoming a problem with teenage hooligans?

Yes, I used to go to Goodtimes fairly often. I loved that place. We used to watch March Madness here, Patriots games here, or just have a general "guys night" playing pool and drinking beers. It was very affordable. Sure there were some shady clientele, but as long as you minded your own business nobody really bothered you.

But then we leveled it for an IKEA store that never materialized. This basically served a large swath of the northern metro of Boston, and as far as I know, nothing has come along to replace that void.

Dave & Busters?

Yes, that is the answer. But strangely, this conversation actually started by saying D&B was not the right choice (post #445) and then in the course of discussion has come full circle to say hey, Dave & Busters is the perfect choice.

I have this sinking feeling that Somerville might have just told Wegmans to take a hike.

Thats what it sounds like. The square foot quoted is their sweet spot, which other chain is currently expanding into those sizes?

After closing in Somerville, Good Time Emporium tried to move to Natick, then to Brockton. They actually got Brockton to change the zoning specifically to allow them. But financing fell through and they liquidated all their assets at an auction.

I'm not sure if this was previously known, but a Legoland Discovery Center will be coming to Assembly Sq.

A Legoland Discovery Center — basically a mecca of miniature building — is coming to Somerville’s Assembly Square.

The 44,000-square-foot indoor facility will open in the $1.2 billion Assembly Row development, giving the complex an attraction its developers expect will lure visitors from hundreds of miles away.

“We think it will be a regional draw from all the New England states,” said Don Briggs, an executive with developer Federal Realty Investment Trust. “It will offer a 2- to 3-hour experience for families.”

http://www.boston.com/real-estate/n...mbly-square/zrdYPuUAwc1nVuehDoNDgP/story.html

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK. YES.

(Thanks so much for this news!!!!!)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Legos are 50% of why I'm doing what I'm doing. This is fucking awesome.

YAY! I love Legos!!

Future AB meetup spot. No joke.

Bunch of goddamn children on this board.

j/k Love Legos. This should be neat.

Back