Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

Larry, you're a journalist; if you want to call someone a racist, don't dilly-dally about, just come out and say it.

Not seeing that. He's clearly coming out to say that Partners has (or should have) a commitment to the Roxbury community due in no small part to the tax breaks they've had, but is foregoing that for more high-end digs at Assembly Row. Whether you agree with him or not, I don't see any race-card playing (of course, one can say there's a race angle to any discussion of Roxbury, but I thought he steered admirably clear of that).

The creation of 700,000 square feet of new office space and the arrival of thousands of workers would have been a game-changer for Roxbury on a par with the construction of the Vertex headquarters in the city’s burgeoning Innovation District.

The seaport was doing just fine before the Vertex deal, and would be just as well if the deal had never happened. It's absurd to take the position that only large private single-tenant developments could possibly improve an area. In the areas that have improved, suggesting the large corporate tenants caused the transformation is nothing more than revisionist history.

It's the twentieth century way of thinking. Trying to do everything with large moves, instead of small incremental steps. Maybe that attitude can get swept out with Menino. That would be nice.

Pretty sure the Sullivan Square redesign is part of the larger Rutherford Ave redesign, isn't it?

Sullivan Square: The Boston Redevelopment Authority is leading the planning for the possible redevelopment of the area around the Orange Line station on the Somerville-Charlestown border. The disposition plan will include urban development guidelines for use, design, streetscape and open space for new parcels created by a planned roadway realignment

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2013/11/07/mbta-land-in-boston.html

The creation of 700,000 square feet of new office space and the arrival of thousands of workers would have been a game-changer for Roxbury on a par with the construction of the Vertex headquarters in the city’s burgeoning Innovation District.

Is that the same Vertex that Boston stole from Cambridge? Does anyone else see the irony in this?

Anywhere else other than Balkanized Greater Boston, this would be considered great news worth celebrating. Headline should read: Large Local Employer Seeking Additional Space to Consolidate Headquarters Signs on as Major Tenant in New TOD.

Anywhere else other than Balkanized Greater Boston, this would be considered great news worth celebrating. Headline should read: Large Local Employer Seeking Additional Space to Consolidate Headquarters Signs on as Major Tenant in New TOD.

+1
Ditto.

This is the kind of uber stupidity that the Glob has specialized in for a few decades since the last of the local ownership sold out to the NYCshysters

Partners vice president Rich Copp stressed that the organization will continue to maintain its corporate headquarters and roughly 10 million square feet of space in Boston. But Partners estimates that it would cost $50 million more to build the project in Boston than it will in Somerville. And that didn’t sit well with an organization struggling to bring down the cost of health care, said Copp.

Mayor Tom Menino scoffs at the $50 million price differential and called Partners’ decision “a big disgrace.’’ Besides, say members of the Menino administration, Partners is sitting pretty on almost $3 billion worth of tax-exempt property in the city. If taxed at the commercial rate, Partners would have to pony up $92 million annually, according to the city assessor’s office. Meanwhile, it pitches in about $14 million in voluntary payments in lieu of taxes and community benefits.

It’s safe to assume that Partners would have warmed up to the parcel in Roxbury if Menino had been sticking around for another four years. After all, he understands power and how to wield it to help the city’s poor. With Menino out of the way, however, the temptation to embrace a hot new address in Somerville could only grow stronger.

The casual dismissal of the $50 M extra to build a back office operation in Boston -- never even registered with the Glob editorialist --- Partners back office as opposed to the hospitals could just as easily have relocated to Taunton or Salem NH

Perhaps the Glob intelligentsia ought to talk to their new owner who actually made money through working at it

PS: in the next 10 years such back office operations will become highly roboticized the 4,500 will shrink to less than 1,000

Nice letter (there were a couple) in reply to the Harmon piece in today's Globe:

LET US add Lawrence Harmon to the list of those outraged by the move to Somerville (“Partners’ snub is Roxbury’s loss,” Op-ed, Dec. 14): He and others are reacting to Somerville as if it were Weston or Wellesley. I find it ironic that he mentions the destruction of parts of Roxbury to build a superhighway but ignores what Somerville lost to build Interstate 93 a decade or so previously.

Somerville gained little by that highway, but the Boston area benefited a great deal. Now Somerville and our entire metropolitan area will both be served by a more efficient health care provider, when Partners HealthCare completes its back-office move to Assembly Square.

Boston will always be the hub of the region, but it is not the only city or town in Eastern Massachusetts. A regional approach to both solving problems and creating opportunities will benefit all of us.

Dave Hamilton

Natick

Re: Assembly Square Redevelopment

Is this still the overall plan for Assembly Sq. or just preliminary renderings?
From the project's facebook page http://www.facebook.com/AssemblyRow?fref=ts

picture.php

^View of Assembly from Medford^
picture.php

^Block 2^
picture.php

^Unsure of Location^
picture.php

^Assembly Sq. Plaza^

I really hope these are not the final buildings. There's precious little here with any kind of design integrity and certainly nothing progressive.

I really hope these are not the final buildings. There's precious little here with any kind of design integrity and certainly nothing progressive.

Really? Watch the video and see if you feel the same. I think this looks excellent compared to 99% of everything else being built around here. Urban, minimal car presence, squares filled with seating and activity. Its very Nordic. Reminds me of Christianshavn in Copenhagen or Sodermalm in Stockholm.

My biggest concern is that everything will be new at the same time that might be a little sterile and outdoor-mall-like. Not because its poorly designed, but because it will be a long time before it gets broken in. And while it is huge for a single development, it is pretty small for a functioning neighborhood.

Sadly, I don't see how there is ever going to be that many people hanging around there. It is too small and isolated.

Sadly, I don't see how there is ever going to be that many people hanging around there. It is too small and isolated.

That's probably what they said before station landing opened and this will be much bigger.

ya, won't this have like 5000 units at full build. Plus some destination stores, shops and attractions (legoland, movie theater). I think this will be like legacy place in dedham or derby street in hingham but way bigger, better layout and direct T access. It's going to be a bit isolated from Medford and East Somerville by the river and 28, but its still going to have good access. Plus add in 4500 workers.

As long as there are thousands of new condos/apartments there will be plenty of people in the area. Theres already home depot, sports authority, bed bath and beyond etc. close by and more retail to come including lego discovery land or whatever its called! I hope that is still planned to be built

Back