Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

Re: Assembly Square Redevelopment

I would doubt that the project is shovel ready.

No it's not, which is the problem. How long has this been proposed? Long enough to come up with some plans.

Rumor has it that Assembly Sq. Station is starting up (again) in a few weeks. It's been in conceptual design for the last three months. The design is a typical ground level station with a double pitched roof and cross stair over the top. I'm assuming this is at the client's request (MBTA).

After seeing first hand what a new IKEA did to Red Hook, Brooklyn, I am pretty pessimistic about Assembly Sq being the next great neighborhood. Maybe in 20 years? But IKEA is just another big box store. Wal-Mart would have been no different.

Van, I know that IKEA wasn't an instant success for the neighborhood ... but the store is always PACKED and the parking lot is always full (especially on weekends). In time the neighborhood will be transformed and people will become more comfortable living there. Word is a new BJ's wholesale is going on the pier adjacent IKEA .. WOHOO! ....

Red Hook is an isolated post industrial neighborhood at the end of Brooklyn, with a gigantic elevated highway running through (with one small hard to find exit) and hardly any access by train. There is a water taxi stop though ... that of course everyone wants to take during the winter...

The Assembly Sq. site is already adjacent to an already popular shopping area, has easy access to routes 93, 99, 16, and 28, and the Orange Line runs right through it. This is clearly not such an isolated site. And the river couldn't be in a better location... Bike/walking paths ... views over to Station Landing in Medford (which is already a huge hit). IKEA will do wonders for this neighborhood. Students and young professionals will flock here, considering their space and price conscious designs.

I know this part of Somerville is a little run down right now ... but it's salvageable ...and will be re-transformed soon.

I'm hopeful for this development, but Assembly Square is an "isolated" site. Try walking over to it from nearby Broadway, or from anywhere else in Somerville or Medford, and you'll see how isolated it is.

The Orange Line will help a great deal, but it doesn't substitute for the work needed to knit this site into Somerville.

Was helping a friend of mine move on Saturday. His father was there...he owns residential and industrial property in Charlestown across from Sullivan station by this site. He said that there are two small property owners that still haven't sold and it may ruin the whole thing.
Anybody else heard this?

Green Cab and Central Steel are both moving elsewhere, and I can't think of any other business that's standing in the way of the development. I suspect the city has the eminent domain stick handy if necessary.

I wonder what's going to happen to the Circuit City store, which is in Assembly Square but outside the boundary of this development.

I wonder what's going to happen to the Circuit City store, which is in Assembly Square but outside the boundary of this development.

Any chance this could now be included in the project?

I don't think it's contiguous with the project boundary, and it's not owned by Federal Realty or IKEA.

Construction has really ramped up the past maybe ~3 weeks. Until about 3 weeks ago, it was still a massive, bare, leveled off lot and it almost seemed the project was just going to stall. But every day I see more and more construction equipment, more piles of dirt and gravel piling up, lots of activity and movement.

Still no work on the Assembly Square Station, though.

This area is very congested since all those Wellington Condos went up for sale. Driving around this area is a disaster these days.

Build, Build, Build..........What about better infrastructure for cars, trollys, T, subways?

Stay away

Traffic would be eased incredibly if there was a proper junction for Rt 28 and 16. The intersection and stop lights just turn it into hell.

Really, every single intersection on Rt 28 is a disaster. The whole highway is cursed, I swear, from Boston to Reading.

I'd like to see better Orange Line and Green Line (heavy rail) service paralleling this Rt 28 corridor.

I'd like to see better Orange Line and Green Line (heavy rail) service paralleling this Rt 28 corridor.

But could you imagine the fit people in Melrose would throw?

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2010/12/03/assembly-sq-project-to-get-25m-bond.html

The long-negotiated Assembly Square development in Somerville received a $25 million bridge Thursday night when the Board of Aldermen voted unanimously to support the mayor?s financing recommendation.

The city is submitting a District Improvement Financing (DIF) program application to the state in order to bridge lost funds for the Assembly Square Project. The DIF, which would create the bond, would bring to an end to more than a decade of planning and marks a major step toward breaking ground.

The vote came a week after Mayor Joseph Curtatone and Federal Reality Investment Trust (FRIT) Senior Vice President Don Briggs appeared in front of the Board Finance Committee and gave the aldermen nine days to decide its stance on the proposal. Briggs hinted numerous times that failure to approve the DIF would result not only in FRIT?s departure, but also would sink the separate project of continuing the Orange Line through Assembly Square.

The proposal for the DIF came after U.S. Rep. Mike Capuano, a former mayor of Somerville, made clear that he could get only $2 million of the $25 million in federal earmarks he had hoped for. It will be used to cover the $63 million dollar shortfall for the two combined projects, with the state covering the rest.

?This project means jobs, increased tax revenue, new housing, improved transportation and a reclaimed waterfront along the Mystic River,? said Curtatone in a statement. ?We need to build now.?

Alderman William White, who called the deadline a ?gun against our heads,? spearheaded a resolution that reiterated the Board of Alderman?s control over the bond. The mayor also said that no bonds would be issued until FRIT breaks ground on the first phase of the development.

The first phase in Assembly Square Development will include two new apartment buildings with 400 units between them, a cinema to replace an abandoned one, and a hotel along a brand new Main Street that will house small and medium-sized retail. FRIT plans to break ground sometime in the second half of 2011.

Read more: Assembly Sq. project to get $25M bond | Boston Business Journal

But I don't understand why there is a "short-fall" of $63 million. Why isn't the developer paying for this if it's such a wonderful opportunity that we've had to wait 20 years for it to happen?

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2010/12/somerville-eyes-big-bet-on.html

At a time when budget stress is wreaking havoc at all levels of government, the city of Somerville is preparing a $25 million bet on a speculative, $1.2 billion real estate development that, under the rosiest of forecasts, is unlikely to be completed for another decade.

The gamble, in dollar terms, would equate to more than 14 percent of the annual revenue generated by Somerville, a densely populated city with a limited footprint and, according to local business and public officials, an antiquated commercial tax base.

That the city?s prospective bond sale would be floated at such low points in the economy and commercial real estate market highlights its thirst for new tax revenue. That the sale?s proceeds would be wagered on such a controversial project, the long-delayed Assembly Square development, speaks to Somerville?s desperation to revitalize the one ? and possibly only ? tract of land with the potential to turn the city?s finances around.

On Dec. 2, Somerville?s board of aldermen approved a plan to issue $25 million in bonds to advance construction of a new subway station at the 145-acre project site, a neglected swath bordered by the Mystic River and a no-mans-land of empty lots within view of highway overpasses. But as one local business leader recently put it, the area?s problems also represent its greatest opportunities; just 2.5 miles from downtown Boston, Assembly Square?s proximity to major highways and potential waterfront views could make it an ideal destination for shoppers, diners and anyone else seeking relief from the region?s other congested commercial districts. City officials peg the project?s eventual property taxes in excess of $18 million a year.

The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority?s plan to build an Assembly Square subway stop is considered a make or break component to the project?s completion. Initial plans to pay for the MBTA station, estimated at $50 million, called for a mix of public and private funding anchored by a $25 million earmark sponsored by U.S. Rep. Michael Capuano, a Somerville native who once served as the city?s mayor.

The earmark was authorized in 2005, although no money has been appropriated to date, according to project officials and a Capuano spokeswoman. People familiar with matter say the money is unlikely to materialize, given the nation?s growing disdain for federal earmarks. ?I don?t think people should be banking on that,? said Wig Zamore, a co-founder of the Mystic View Task Force, a community group that has actively shaped the Assembly Square plan.

The situation ultimately prompted the city?s $25 million bond proposal. The plan, hotly debated in public meetings last month, is widely supported by Zamore as well as local business and city officials interviewed for this story. ?We can?t lose the train station,? said Monica Lamboy, the executive director of Somerville?s community development office.

The bond plan awaits final approval by the state. The securities sale would likely occur in late 2011, according to Lamboy.

Don Briggs, an executive with the project?s owner, Federal Realty Investment Trust of Maryland, said Assembly Square?s first phase will likely break ground in late 2011 or early 2012. Briggs said Federal Realty is ?knee deep? in preliminary construction work and has committed $15 million to the MBTA stop.

City filings indicate some of the $15 million commitment is shared by IKEA, the Sweden-based furniture and homegoods retailer that has been struggling to open an Assembly Square store since 1999.

To be sure, IKEA?s travails are emblematic of Assembly Square and its inability to take form. Once home to an auto assembly plant and a failed mall, the project site was declared ?blighted? by the city in 1980. In the years since, myriad development plans and property owners have come and gone. Law suits and community backlash scuttled most of those earlier blueprints.

However, IKEA?s commitment to the area has more or less driven the current development plan, a so-called ?urban village? featuring 2,100 rental units, 1.15 million square feet of retail space and another 1.75 million square feet of office space. The six-stage development plan is slated for completion in 2019, based on current schematics. Federal Realty?s Briggs said the entire deal will cost in excess of $1.2 billion.

The project?s long-term financing is yet to be determined, he said. Likewise, IKEA spokesman Joseph Roth said the company has yet to set a timeline for its development plans. Much depends on whether Somerville can come through with its bond pledge.

Despite the uncertainty, local leaders say the city?s financial commitment to the project is imperative. They say the risks of the bond sale are outweighed by the risks of doing nothing. ?I?m not in the business of making predictions,? said Stephen Mackey, president of the local Chamber of Commerce. ?But the city had to move to ensure the whole package would stay together.?

Read more: Somerville eyes big bet on long-stalled project | Boston Business Journal

That's not part of the Assembly Row property. Hopefuly that land will become too valuable for surface lots someday.

Wish them luck -- it seems too much to expect to all of what's on their wish list for Assembly Row to be developed and absorbed in one or even two cycles

Some of that parking is necessary for the big box stores. People are not going to bring Ikea furniture boxes on the 'T, whether or not there is a station across the street.

Ugh...big boxes and parking. There are ways to mix in big retail without...the boxiness, and so much damn asphalt. I can understand the need for the capacity with the I-93 access and the Home Depot being the single busiest location in the state. But I would hope that there's a plan after the parcel gets built up a bit to start flipping that capacity in a more vertical direction, with the extra acres and acres of lots intended as an interim solution. It works at places like Natick Mall where the garages give a little more sense of coziness and density (poor comparison on scale of the retail, but is well-executed). Even Station Landing at Wellington gets it a little better than this.

Trading decades of windswept lots for decades more of windswept lots is...kind of depressing. Who wants to get off the last train of the night to go home and see the intimidating IKEA lot empty for the night? That's Stoughton, not Somerville.

Back