Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

Re: Assembly Square Redevelopment

Parking can be integrated into a big-box store in a more urban way. For example, there is an urban Costco in Downtown Vancouver that integrates parking and also has condo towers built on top of it. It'd be nice if the same ideas could be applied here.

There is also this urban Home Depot in Chicago.

There is simply no reason other then laziness and stinginess that keeps the big boxes from building attractive urban stores.

Some of that parking is necessary for the big box stores. People are not going to bring Ikea furniture boxes on the 'T, whether or not there is a station across the street.

The Ikea in Stoughton has a parking garage

The Ikea in Stoughton has a parking garage

It also has a surface lot, but I agree with you and the others that the site would be better served with roof top and/or garage parking. And ultimately, taller buildings on top of the boxes. I wonder what the economics are, and whether Somerville feels they can't demand a more expensive parking format just yet. It's always possible to eventually eliminate the surface lots. If it becomes a successful TOD, the lots will almost certainly disappear to further development pressures.

There is simply no reason other then laziness and stinginess that keeps the big boxes from building attractive urban stores.

True. There are several Wal Marts down here, but the ones I've seen don't look anything like the ones you'd find in the states. They're built in dense areas, and have small multi-story parking garages attached to them. It's definitely not ideal, but let's face it...we live in the big box era. Any large, new developments are going to rely on big box retail.

I live right down the street from that Home Depot! It actually works quite well within the neighborhood.

today
020-24.jpg
022-30.jpg
024-23.jpg
026-25.jpg

Making the most of the Mystic
On December 14, 2011, in Latest News, by The News Staff

Riverfront Park along the Mystic River is slated for a major upgrade, paid for by the Assembly Row developer.
Riverfront Park gets facelift from Assembly Row project
By Elizabeth Sheeran

A place to stroll or bike along the riverbank under the shade of trees. To look out over the water, watching the sailboats and birds as they come and go. To take in an outdoor concert, have a picnic or toss a Frisbee. You soon won’t have to head to the Esplanade for that kind of a place. It will be right here in Somerville, along the Mystic River.

State planners recently unveiled final designs for transforming Riverfront Park from a little used strip of green, almost forgotten behind the stores and parking lots of Assembly Square, into a waterfront showcase for the new Assembly Row neighborhood. And the plans received high praise from city officials, cyclists, nature lovers, and others on-hand for the presentation.

“It will add a lot of value, especially to the permanent residents in the development, whether they live here or work here. It will also work great for visitors,” said Wig Zamore, a resident who belongs to the Mystic View Task Force.

The new-and-improved six-acre Riverfront Park will stretch along the Somerville shore of the Mystic River between the Route 28 Wellington Bridge and the Orange Line bridge. A new underpass under the Wellington Bridge will connect the park to the riverbank further northwest. To the south and east will be the new Assembly Row commercial and residential district, including a new Orange Line T stop.

Federal Realty Trust, which recently broke ground on the Assembly Row project, will foot the $1 million-plus bill to redesign and expand the existing state-owned park, adding 1.7 new acres in a land swap, and will cover the costs to maintain it. Under the mitigation agreement with the state, the developer will also provide a half-million dollars to upgrade the nearby Draw Seven Park, to the east of the T bridge.

Presenting final plans for the site, Don Driscoll of the state’s Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) said the design team had considered a whole host of public input and requests from earlier meetings, such as preserving as much of the natural environment as possible, limiting urban elements like concrete, and ensuring safe access for cyclists and pedestrians.

In the latest design, a bike path winds through the park, connecting with narrower footpaths that meander in and around trees and other natural features. At the widest section of the park, wooden seats interspersed with greenery combine to form an open-air amphitheater, and the paved plaza of earlier designs has been replaced with an open green space.

The plan preserves 75 percent of existing trees, including all mature trees and those that screen the park from the Assembly Square parking lots. The shoreline is largely untouched, apart from enhancing the best views of the river and removing invasive species. And replacement trees and native plants will be spread throughout the park in a way that promises new colors and wildlife with every new season.

“I think it’s great. I think they did a wonderful job of listening to the public,” said Mystic View member Jane Bestor. She was especially happy the final plan included more green space, saved more trees, and enhanced wildlife habitat. The park is already home to a wide range of bird species, including arctic ducks, red-tail hawks, kingfishers, herons, and a family of swans.

And Bestor is looking forward to the day when she can visit the riverfront more often. “I find it very difficult to get here because I don’t drive, and access has been so terribly difficult,” she said. “It’s easier for me to get to the Charles than for me to bike to the Mystic River in my own community. But all of that’s going to change, so I could actually bike here. I’d love to spend more time here.”

The public will have a chance to comment on the final designs, which are available on the DCR website (under Parklands in the Public Meetings section), through January 5. Work on the park is expected to begin by next spring.

Interesting speculations about how this area may have been developed:

Expanding Somerville – Reclaiming Highway Territory on Boston’s Urban Fringe
As the industrial rail yards just north of Boston began to shrink in the early 20th Century, two major highways were built across the reclaimed land on each side of the rails, the McGrath Highway or Route 28 to the west and Interstate 93 to the east. Somerville, Massachusetts, Boston’s iconic street car suburb of dense triple decker homes and American Revolution sites, lies along the McGrath Highway corridor. For decades, the eastern section of Somerville between McGrath and I-93 evolved into an auto-centric hodge podge of strip malls, industrial parks, waste stations, and car dealerships two miles from Boston’s State House. However, just as the rails receded in the 20th Century, the role of the McGrath Highway is dwindling today, allowing the current auto-centric highway terrain to be used for stronger rail-oriented purposes...
Full story and renderings:
http://www.transburbia.org/2011/12/...aiming-highway-territory-on-the-urban-fringe/

Related story here:
http://www.transburbia.org/2011/11/...utilized-land-in-bostons-inner-suburban-ring/

Federal Realty Announces First Anchor for Assembly Row
- State of the art, 60,000 square foot 12 screen AMC Theatres® location lease executed -

PR Newswire
ROCKVILLE, Md., Jan. 12, 2012
ROCKVILLE, Md., Jan. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Federal Realty Investment Trust (NYSE: FRT) today announced the execution of a 60,000 square foot lease with AMC Theatres (AMC) for a 12-screen theatre at Assembly Row, a 50+ acre mixed use development in Somerville, MA.

Auditoriums at the new AMC Theatres location will feature upgraded seating, premium sound and 100 percent digital projection. AMC is also evaluating additional amenity possibilities including a Marketplace concession area, a MacGuffins bar and lounge area, where guests can enjoy a beer, wine or cocktail before, during or after the movie, and an IMAX auditorium.

"We're excited to partner with Federal Reality to become the entertainment anchor of the Assembly Row development," said Mark McDonald, executive vice president of Global Development at AMC Theatres. "The features and amenities we're including will make this a compelling entertainment destination and among the best theatres in the country."

"The execution of the AMC lease is important because it sets a tone for the development, cements a major anchor, and helps define our commitment to delivering a first class experience with one of the best movie exhibitors in the business," said Chris Weilminster, senior vice president, leasing of Federal Realty Investment Trust. "We are in negotiations with a strong lineup of iconic, nationally recognized retailers, restaurant concepts and entertainment venues that will make Assembly Row the vibrant destination that Federal Realty has always intended for the property. We look forward to making additional announcements of signed leases over the coming months as our retail lineup gets finalized."

Assembly Row is one of New England's largest in-progress developments, spanning over 50 acres and located directly on the Mystic River. It will offer 1.75 million square feet of build-to-suit office and lab space, up to 2,100 residential units, and an unparalleled mix of entertainment, iconic outlet shopping, dining, and open space.

"The execution of this lease comes just days after the closing of the AvalonBay Communities ground lease, paving the way for building construction at Assembly Row, and MBTA's formal issuance of the Notice to Proceed with the construction of the new Assembly rapid transit station," said Don Briggs, president Federal Realty Boston. "Assembly Row will be a great, experience driven destination neighborhood energized with a 24 hour environment. AMC will play an integral part in that and we are thrilled to partner with them."

Construction on the theater building is expected to begin in the spring of this year and open with the first phase of the Assembly Row development.

Damn, I was hoping this would go to FEI Theatres (who run the Somerville Theatre in Davis Square). I believe they had bid on it.

Why is there a picture of a black dude in a wheel chair?

^^^ You can't get more politically correct than that. Yeah bro!

edit: How tall are those towers, 20 - 25 stories? That would be noticeable.

Uhm, why does this project now include D Street terminating as a cul-de-sac that is walled off on all sides?

And why is there a parking garage plopped between Ikea and the Orange Line station? With a massive access road for the garage and Ikea deliveries right where freight service could easily be coming in.

And why are there loading docks and a parking lot/garage/covered lot all directly across the street from the station?

And why is there no longer public access across the tracks via the station (instead of ONLY at C St underpass).

WHY ARE THERE 6 PARKING STRUCTURES? One of these buildings is all parking on the ground floor except for one side.

What is this? This project is going down the shitter. I don't even want it now.

EDIT: Major fear confirmed: there WILL be an open parking lot right across from the station. What. the. hell.

Back