Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Atlantic Wharf (formerly Russia Wharf)

the street wall of this building is a big win in my opinion. you have a good mix of restaurants that have different users at different times, in decidedly different spaces. i also love the boston society of architects space, particularly the staircase (not shown in kz's pics, but there's an article here). i don't think the smith & wollensky's side is too "old boston" -- the outdoor seating activates the plaza very well, and the design is appropriate for the restaurant as well as the area. say what you will about the exterior design of the tower, but the street level works.

Or it might just be too early in the season. Despite the warm weather, some restaurants may not want to set out sidewalk seating until mid-April or later.

Or it might just be too early in the season. Despite the warm weather, some restaurants may not want to set out sidewalk seating until mid-April or later.

Random tidbit:
No restaurants in Boston are allowed to put out their outdoor seating until April 1. However, it's only a 1-time fee of $500 if you put your seating out early (regardless of how many days early). This is why so many restaurants put out their tables in early March when we had that warms spell. Most of them were undoubtedly tattled on by nearby competitors with no outdoor space. But $500 gets paid pretty quick on a nice, warm Saturday afternoon/evening.

I didn't know that. Any idea why the city has this rule? It doesn't seem like an effective way to raise much revenue.

Ron, no - not sure where the rule came from. My best guess is that the only restaurants that can get outdoor seating permits are the ones that can show that they still allow a 48" (or is it 42"?) public way for handicapped accessibility. So perhaps the concern is that if there are still snow banks the public way will be compromised.

Atlantic Wharf in the Fog I never realized they have colored "Laser Beams" to help illuminate that sword.

7000997206_2ed9672967_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmack24/7000997206/in/photostream

These pics are awesome! Thanks for posting. I was looking at them on Flickr and was going to tell you to post them here. :)

Cheap bastards didn't even light the very bottom of that spire. Always bothered me.

These pics are awesome! Thanks for posting. I was looking at them on Flickr and was going to tell you to post them here. :)

ha ha Thanks. Yeah super busy lately. Now getting a chance to look at things. and post em up

Time for a little walk by:

13838800815_1f990b4536_b.jpg

13838829503_5b8c89e26a_b.jpg

13838824553_2c2e8fe2d4_b.jpg

13839151084_dc1565a32c_b.jpg

13838808713_79a22748df_b.jpg

13838764425_f451e96b7d_b.jpg

13838793593_4ab2d8a214_b.jpg

Back