Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Atlantic Wharf (formerly Russia Wharf)

The square footages should be available for review to applicants somewhere and any real estate site will have a general run down of the unit typology. A developer can not specifically create units to be the affordable ones on site. The stock needs to be exactly the same as the market value units for sale or rent.

The funds paid by a developer to buy out the affordable housing clause are placed into a special BRA fund to build, or fund through subsidizing rent, additional off site affordable housing units. The BRA exclusively decides where these funds are spent and doesn't have to give a thorough accounting of how the money is dispersed. We don't really know if the BRA is using the money to build, renovate, or subsidize more affordable housing off site. They could be using it for other purposes for all anyone else knows.

The fees from requesting PDAs and variances go into the BRA's general fund.

The stock needs to be exactly the same as the market value units for sale or rent.

I don't know the regulations, but this is not the case in practice other than spreading the units apart from each other over multiple floors of the buildings.

The units in my building that were required for fulfillment of the affordable housing regulations are all tiny, probably 1/3 to 1/2 the average unit size in the building. Furthermore, although they are on all floors of the building, they are not representative of an average -- none are front facing, none are in one section of the building that is contemporary infill, none are on top floor in spaces with roof rights, none have any perks of nicer units (balcony).

I am aware of other buildings in my neighborhood with affordable units. In one building the affordable housing units are much smaller than average size for the building, and face an alley in the back of the building.

Sicilian that doesn't sound like compliance with the law as to my understanding.

Example:

You may be aware of the recent approval for new construction of a rental apartment building at the rear of 319 A Street.

The affordable housing units required for approval of this new construction project will be at 63 Melcher Street, a rehabbed warehouse building. The new building will be entirely market rate.

As for the size of the units representing a cross-section, my understanding of the rule is that 15% onsite or 20% offsite of the total UNIT COUNT, not square footage, fulfills the affordable housing requirement. The total square footage of the affordable component doesn't have to come close to 15% of the total density.

Less opportunities for graft. 'Affordable housing' is nothing but a shakedown in Boston. Everyone else pays a great deal more (outright discrimination) and development is slowed so that a few chosen people can get a favored deals or else the the BRA slush fund gets a contribution.

Then what do you propose be done?

"Projects" were obviously not successful.

Some were, some weren't. My impression is that Stuyvesant Town in NYC is pretty successful. What can we lean from the differences between good and bad projects? (At this point we should break off into a new thread.)

Then what do you propose be done?

"Projects" were obviously not successful.

Keep the government out of the housing business period. No one should be isolated from what housing actually costs. This country was founded on concepts of individual freedom and responsibility. Government controlled housing is tantamount to serfdom. Creating classes of people willfully dependent on the government spending other peoples' money never ends well in the long run.

Prior to the government interfering in alms housing plenty of private charities, religious institutions, and individuals created units. I'd rather we go back to this model. Get the bureaucrats and politicians get out the business with our money and let the charity minded people actually fund some physical infrastructure here for once, instead of throwing money into phoney tax sheltering funds which never dispense a dime..

The "projects" are for a completely different class of people than the affordable housing units, which are geared toward middle-income individuals and couples.

http://listserv.cityofboston.gov/read/archive?id=18515

missed the deadline.

Affordable Rental Opportunity

Lofts at Atlantic Wharf

580 Atlantic Avenue Boston, MA 02210

5 Units

Type (#BRs/Loft /Studio)

Rent

% Income

2 Bedroom

$1,528

80%

1 Bedroom Loft

$1,155

80%

2 at 1 Bedroom

$1,690

100%

1 bedroom Loft

$1,454

100%

Maximum Income per Household Size

HH size

Up to 80%

100%

$ 54,050

$ 67,550

$ 61,750

$ 77,200

$ 69,500

$ 86,850

$ 77,200

$ 96,500

$83,400

$ 104,200

$89,550

$ 111,940
Applications may be picked up in person from Maloney Properties Inc.

290 Congress St., Boston, MA 02210 – Inside main public area

Date

Time

Monday, August 15th

12:00PM-4:00PM

Tuesday, August 16th

3:00PM-7:00PM

Wednesday, August 17th

Thursday, August 18th

Friday, August 19th

Saturday, August 20th

Sunday, August 21st

You may also request an application by email: atlanticwharf@maloneyproperties.com or

by calling 781-943-0200 between August 15-21.

Deadline for completed applications by mail only:

Postmarked no later than August 29, 2011

Maloney Properties, Inc.

Attention: Brokerage Division

27 Mica Lane, Wellesley MA 02481

Selection by lottery.

Asset, use & occupancy restrictions apply. Minimum income limits apply.

Preference for Boston residents.

Preference for households with at least one person per bedroom.

For more information or reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities,

call Maloney Properties, Inc. 617-209-5212

Equal Housing Opportunity

I hope Uncle Omar and Aunt Zucchini at least scored water views.

The 2BR rent is cheaper than my 475sf 1BR. -.-

6191601377_839af61e74_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmack24/6191601377/in/photostream

http://bostonrestaurants.blogspot.com/2011/09/sorelle-bakery-and-cafe-opens-at.html

Sorelle is plus for MANY reasons.

Among them, maybe it means there will be one less truck running compressors in the park.

Based on the lights, this building filled up FAST. As did the retail.

IMG_2931.jpg

IMG_2932.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_2936.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

Bonus:
IMG_2941.jpg

Back