Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Atlantic Wharf (formerly Russia Wharf)

Look at those 1st three pictures and tell me the facadectomy was a bad idea.

I walked past this tonight and was wondering what on earth they were thinking with the massive light on top. Ugly as sin and completely out of place in the skyline.

Look at those 1st three pictures and tell me the facadectomy was a bad idea.

That building, the Peabody & Stearns, was not a facadectomy. It was, for the most part, preserved. The other two were facadectomies. This doesn't change the sentiment of your post, which I agree with, whatsoever.

@ Jass really like the last pix of Fan Pier,seeing it with the floors lit up at night change's the building abit,and make's a nice reflection on the channel. yesterday>
037-23.jpg

Based on the lights, this building filled up FAST. As did the retail.

And yet ONE Marina Park Drive is still half empty, despite opening a year before.

And yet ONE Marina Park Drive is still half empty, despite opening a year before.

I think this was due to the fact that Wellington planned and rented space in this building before it was finished. Did Fan Pier have a major tenant as it was going up?

I think this was due to the fact that Wellington planned and rented space in this building before it was finished. Did Fan Pier have a major tenant as it was going up?

I thought there was a bunch of chat on this board because it was built on pure speculation. I don't believe there was an anchor tenant for the building.

Anyways, this building is a huge success. The facadectomy works, the materials are all good...it's just a very good project.

Asked before completion, and asked again...

Does a modern building standing in strong contrast to its base, especially one with such starkly sloped faces really benefit from additional adornments including:

1. Multi-colored LED uplighting
2. Cocktail sword shaped spire, diminutive in scale
3. Large white grids over both sides
4. Bright white cap

I'd suggest these flourishes are what generally define "gaudy" (no pun intended) and often distinguish bad art. My guess is that these elements were added to an original design by the property owner or at the request of a City official.

From the archive:

ThA78.jpg

"Anything less than the best is a felony..."

The scheme that was actually built was not the best. The earlier iteration with the V-braces was much more interesting. The gridded sides were resolved when they went around the corners.

"Anything less than the best is a felony..."

The scheme that was actually built was not the best. The earlier iteration with the V-braces was much more interesting. The gridded sides were resolved when they went around the corners.

Damn, I forgot how nice the original was.

Asked before completion, and asked again...

Does a modern building standing in strong contrast to its base, especially one with such starkly sloped faces really benefit from additional adornments including:

1. Multi-colored LED uplighting
2. Cocktail sword shaped spire, diminutive in scale
3. Large white grids over both sides
4. Bright white cap

I'd suggest these flourishes are what generally define "gaudy" (no pun intended) and often distinguish bad art. My guess is that these elements were added to an original design by the property owner or at the request of a City official.

I like the base of the building but what you describe up above for Atlantic is exactly what I don't like.

4. Bright white cap is extremely annoying

"Bright white caps" have been popping up more and more these past ten years, the earliest example I know of being the ex-Bear Stearns tower in Midtown Manhattan; another high profile case would be Philadelphia's Comcast Center. They almost all universally suck--Atlantic Wharf included--and are an affront to buildings that actually have some nuance to their nighttime lighting schemes.

I finally walked around this building for the first time this weekend and I have to admit that the street level interaction between the new structure and the old buildings is really great. Also they did a VERY nice job on the renovations of the existing buildings. I still hate the tower section but I have to give credit where credit is due.

Time to check up on how the ground level has turned out:

6916116736_1c34cf4683_b.jpg

6916118172_4ec5034474_b.jpg

6916120138_1d701800f5_b.jpg

6916134456_4a6513cf60_b.jpg

And some more lobby pics:

6916123614_05b4e6dc90_b.jpg

7062202711_7f38cb0aaf_b.jpg

7062205255_526a699f04_b.jpg

7062206997_e69cccb91d_b.jpg

6916128232_76ec2964a0_b.jpg

7062212139_70a831d35d_b.jpg

7062210583_7c4e2a72e2_b.jpg

I love the sort of "elegant structural expressionism" of that lobby.

The street retail could be a bit more engaging and the back porch screams "ye olde colonial Boston" like some 1986 PoMo pile, but the elegant lobby almost makes up for it.

I wonder if the sidewalk is too narrow for outdoor seating on Congress.

Back