Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Russia Wharf

The Hood bottle has been there for years and is there to stay. Its in front of the Children's Museum. I think they sell sandwiches, ice cream etc. from it.

that hood bottle is in my geometry textbook....

Starting to rise! This is awesome. Nice to see something big going up in this economy.

The Hood bottle was rescued several decades ago from some rural place in New England where it was unloved and rotting away.

The top portion is actually the only part left of the one they rescued. During the Children's museum renovation/addition a couple years back they moved the Hood bottle 15 - 20 feet and re-did the whole thing including replacing most of the bottle. Glad it's still there tho.

I hear all these stories about how much money they actually spent to save and move that thing to it's present location. Almost doesn't seem worth it, but now glad it's there.

But Seamus, it's nothing but a Hood Corporation publicity stunt.

Imagine if Hood said "we want to erect a 25 foot high advertisement/billboard on the water, facing downtown Boston" The mayor would be outraged, Vivien Li would choke on her arugula, and the Boston Globe would editorialize about yielding the beauty of the waterfront to corporate America.

But, if you can make some kind of story up about a Hood bottle ice cream stand out in Western Mass that's falling apart, and how you could "rescue it" from disrepair... and then when you actually move/renovate it, you really just build a brand new one... so you're not saving the old bottle, you're just building a replica...

In the end, Hood gets a 25' high billboard/advertisement facing the Financial District. The Mayor beams, Vivien Li lauds the vibrancy of the waterfront and the Globe editorializes about how Hood is such a great local company.

Sort of like the Citgo sign. Thats not necessarily a bad thing though.

But, if you can make some kind of story up about a Hood bottle ice cream stand out in Western Mass that's falling apart, and how you could "rescue it" from disrepair... and then when you actually move/renovate it, you really just build a brand new one... so you're not saving the old bottle, you're just building a replica...

Uh, when did they put that bottle out in Western Mass.? Somehow I doubt this is all part of a decades-old conspiracy to get permanent advertising in downtown Boston.

But the Citgo sign, as we all know, is a Venezuelan plot.

This works because it's next to the Children's Museum (key word CHILDREN). The Hood bottle is a landmark for field-tripping kids from all over Massachusetts. This type of thing could work in about two other places: Faneuil Hall and Saugus.

Until Pelham mentioned it, I never once thought of this as a "publicity stunt." I had no idea Hood was a local company (couldn't care less), haven't eaten a friggin Hoodsie in probably 10 years.

Does anyone actually know where the original bones of this icon came from? If memory serves me correctly, (it often doesn't) I think it was salvaged from the Attleboro/Taunton area. Another exists in New Bedford, on Ashley Boulevard, I think. The names "Sanky" and "Frates" come to mind.

I can't even remember life before wiki
Hood Milk Bottle

The Hood Milk Bottle in front of Boston Children's Museum
The Hood Milk Bottle is an ice cream stand and snack bar located on the Hood Milk Bottle Plaza in front of Boston Children's Museum. It has been located on this spot since April 20, 1977, when Hood shipped the bottle by ferry to Boston on a voyage it called the "Great Bottle Sail." The structure is 40 feet (12 m) tall, 18 feet (5.5 m) in diameter and weighs 15,000 pounds. If it were a real milk bottle, it would hold 58,620 gallons (221,900 L) of milk.[39] [40]
The bottle recently underwent extensive renovations. In fall 2006, the bottle was "uncapped" -- its original top half was sliced off and preserved -- so that its base could be moved slightly and rebuilt on the new Hood Milk Bottle Plaza. A renovated bottle was put back in place and officially re-dedicated by Boston Mayor Thomas Menino on April 20, 2007, thirty years to the day after it was moved to Children's Wharf.[39] [41]
The Hood Milk Bottle was originally located on the banks of the Three Mile River on Winthrop Street (Route 44) in Taunton, Massachusetts. Arthur Gagner built the structure in 1933 to sell homemade ice cream next to his store. It was one of the first fast-food drive-in restaurants in the United States and was built using the "Coney Island" style of architecture. Gagner sold the bottle to the Sankey family in 1943. It was abandoned in 1967. The bottle stood vacant for ten years until H.P. Hood and Sons, Inc. was persuaded to buy it and give it to Boston Children's Museum in 1977.[39] [40]
Movies are sometimes projected onto the side of the structure for museum events.[39]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Children's_Museum

VALIDATION IS MY FAVORITE FORM OF FLATTERY, PaulC. Thank you!

5-14-09
019JPG-.jpg
I promise I won't post a pix everytime a new floor is added!
031-6.jpg

only a few more stories till its over the IC! [is that really somthing worth being excited about?]

^It is when it's the only tower being built over 20 stories!

Boston02124 Thanks for your pics of Russia Wharf. Please post them as often as you like. I love this project. You have a great vantage point. While I'm at it, thanks for posting all the wonderful pictures you post on this forum, they are much appreciated, by me anyway.

Boston02124 Thanks for your pics of Russia Wharf. Please post them as often as you like. I love this project. You have a great vantage point. While I'm at it, thanks for posting all the wonderful pictures you post on this forum, they are much appreciated, by me anyway.
^ thanks!! sometimes I think I post too many pic's,I appreciate your comment and that you enjoy them!

Is there going to be steel erected on the side facing the Greenway or will we end up with another awful, monolithic, black Alucobond wall?

I'm with Meadowhawk, Boston02124 your regular contributions to the site are appreciated.

Back