Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Russia Wharf

Yeah actually, I went back through the thread and I guess I didn't realize how recently it was that the inner part of the old buildings had still not been totally demolished. I guess the timing has been alright after all, but with the last of the 300 footers about to top out (Clarendon), I am getting impatient to see progress on something bigger!

Is it just me, or might this be the slowest moving building of all time? I swear that 45 Province, the W, and the Clarendon all started after this, and they're all topped/topping out, and this one isn't even out of the ground!

Also remember this building went through a Sale allready and switched GC's when Boston Properties took over. Boston Properties only uses Morrarity for their big suff in this city.

The structural steel is really starting to sprout out above street level at this site. The facades of the preserved structures obscure this, but things are definitely going on 'above ground'.

NOT Mine.

but someone decided to climb up and check out the sights at night.

ha ha ha

IMG_9568a.jpg

IMG_9561a.jpg

IMG_9563a.jpg

IMG_9570a.jpg

Exactly you don't need parking.
I work at 185 Franklin Street and our building is 22 stories and NO PArking.
I am not surprised they decided to go with no parking.

I thought there was parking in the basement. There is no way there won't be parking for this.

240 spaces for 240 residences per Boston Condo Blog. It doesn't say anything about parking for office tenants and visitors.

The CBT website says "six stories of below grade parking" so my guess is that they will be digging down as the steel goes up.

I don't know if that's still accurate, about the parking ... didn't this go all office, no condo?

That's too bad. The developer could have saved a lot of money by not providing parking, which is not needed given the project's proximity to many different kinds of transportation.

According to the 22 page application

512 car parking garage (underground)

interesting

That's too bad. The developer could have saved a lot of money by not providing parking, which is not needed given the project's proximity to many different kinds of transportation.

The developer would have saved money under that scenario, but only because he never would have been able to build the project. You simply cannot lease first class office space in downtown Boston today without providing parking, no matter how close the project is to various forms of public transit. Wellington would have never signed the lease without being provided with an "adequate" amount of parking. You can argue whether the number of spaces being provided is excessive, but not about whether the project would contain a significant parking component - that is, if you actually want the project to be built.

But this project is also a short walk from several garages.

First class office tenants don't want short walks from nearby garages. They want guaranteed parking in their building as part of their lease. Particularly given that Wellington and other tenants had a range of options to choose from, the ability to provide this amenity was critical from a developer's perspective. I'm using past tense because, for the moment at least, the range of options for new space is likely to be limited given the credit crunch. And given the state of the economy, recent layoffs and layoffs to come, it is not clear that the demand for new first class space will remain high enough to generate a lot of construction of new office space in the near term.

I don't understand the problem with underground parking you never see or hear... except for the beeping and flashing sign as you walk down the street. I'm not a fan of parking underground for the elite where there's limited parking(sometimes not even offered to average employees) and sky high rates. 6 stories sounds like a decent amount, but I'm not up on the specifics.

Back