Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Russia Wharf

From last week (with Fan Pier in the background):

Meanwhile in Dorchester, 02124 is plotting revenge for beating him to a new crane pic.
^lol! I can't get them all! nice pix though! My camera is being shipped back this week I can't wait!

M80 how did you get access into the site ?
Are you on the Job there ?
Very cool shots. it seems they don't let civilians like me and average joe into the site.

thanks for sharing.

today from Dorchester hieghts So. Boston
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-5.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-3.jpg
Russia whf.,W-Hotel, Tuft's,Fan Pier
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-2.jpg

looks like erm..whatchacall it...one international place? is on fire.

Yeah, I'm over in Fenway, and I can baaaarely see the downtown buildings miles away -- but I can ALWAYS see the smoke coming out from the top of 1 International

I have to say I do love Dorchester Heights. Sure, it's somewhat remote from the T, but it's a wonder the spot isn't more well known. The highlight of any visit to Southie, and Boston's closest equivalent to Alamo Square:

Alamo%20Square.jpg

Seems like a wasted opportunity. A welcome addition, but could have, should have been alot more. (Size of Int'l place w/ a little more gusto would've fit)

Nice pic 02124

Seems like a wasted opportunity. A welcome addition, but could have, should have been alot more. (Size of Int'l place w/ a little more gusto would've fit)

Nice pic 02124

It's going to be bigger than the Intercontinental. is that what you're referring to?

no, hes saying he wishes russia wharf was the same size as intercontinental but with architecture that's more of a statement and compliments the intercontinental well i believe. and if thats what ur saying, suffolk, i completely agree although maybe a little picky because i think the proposed building will be great here

He's referring to International Place, not the Intercontinental.

No, I think something the size of Int'l Place would sort of kill the Greenway and the scale of the waterfront/financial district. By keeping this buildings fairly short, it makes a good gradually increasing height difference to the Financial District, where eventually we'll have a thousand footer. It also prevents the Greenway from being to canyonized, which would be bad for a park, because no one wants to play dog frisbee in the shade (I am being serious here, shade on the greenway would spell death for any life on it). And plus, the arch underneath the BHH creates a lot of space and a pretty neat vista.

Looks like they are eliminating most of the residential component of this project. Too bad as it would have been nice to have the round the clock activity that residents bring right on the greenway.

Russia Wharf may reduce residences
Boston Business Journal - by Michelle Hillman

After unsuccessfully trying to sell the residential portion of the development known as Russia Wharf, executives at Boston Properties Inc. (NYSE: BXP) are now examining reducing the number of residences to 65 from 215.

Boston Properties declined to comment on any changes that may be under consideration. But one real estate source with knowledge of the plan said Boston Properties is considering converting the residential portion into office space. Boston Properties has approval to build 215 residential units.

The Russia Wharf project, which was approved for 500,000 square feet of office space, is more than 80 percent pre-leased to Wellington Management Co. LLP. A new proposal would increase the office portion to 709,000 square feet.

The project, located on the corner of Congress Street and Atlantic Avenue, has undergone an extensive design review from the Boston Redevelopment Authority. If Boston Properties seeks to replace the residential component with another use, the landlord would have to notify the city. So far, Boston Properties has not done that, according to the BRA.

As the debt market has tightened, developers have had a hard time landing loans for projects. Financing has been especially scarce for developers of residential properties. But now, with a substantial drop-off in residential sales, developers and the city appear ready to take a different tack.

Last week the BRA allowed Lincoln Property Co. to renovate two commercial office buildings in the Fort Point Channel area, rather than convert the buildings into residential units as previously approved in 2006. In an effort to save $200 million and his struggling

1.2 million-square-foot project at the former Filene?s site in Downtown Crossing, John Hynes is eliminating plans for the top 14 residential floors.

Hynes? struggle to secure a construction loan has been well publicized.

In November, Hynes ceased construction at the Filene?s site after failing to secure between $50 million and $100 million needed for a $400 million construction loan.

?It?s safe to say we?re not going to have any residential. That?s going to go,? he said. ?As a result of that, the project is going to be smaller.?

Hynes said he is considering keeping a few of the top floors for executive offices.

Jessica Shumaker, a BRA spokeswoman, said the agency expects a revised design from Hynes soon. Though she hadn?t seen a new plan, Shumaker said she was aware the residential piece would be removed. ?That seemed to be what was troubling their financing,? she said.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2008/12/08/daily49.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Wait, what was that about converting old office space in Fort Point? Do we have a thread on this?

I posted about this in the Filene's thread, but again, why are they nixing the residential component? Turn those condos into rentals, and they would all being taken up in a split second. It just completely baffles me that these companies think the only type of housing is CONDO. People rent in this area too. A lot of them. And they range from middle of the road to the highest of the high end.

Back