Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Russia Wharf

No, they would just switch all the space allocated for residential to office.

I thought office floors plates and residential floor plates were completely different.
If they are interchangeable why can't they do this with Filene's?

Where is the demand for all this additional office space, in a recession, coming from?

Where is the demand for all this additional office space, in a recession, coming from?

That's my question. At least during the next economic upturn Boston will be attractive with so much open Class A office space. The developers are hoping that by the time this space comes online the economy will be heading back up, but they need to be overly optimistic.

statler said:
I thought office floors plates and residential floor plates were completely different.

They are. This probably means a redesign of the floor plates.

This late in the process? They have already done some substantial construction work on this.

Maybe it isn't as drastic a change as you would imagine. I just assume they know what they are doing. Maybe it is as simple as not building a few walls.

I know residential floor heights can be slightly lower than an office floor height, also the amont of elevator service for a residential floor would be much less than the amount of elevator service for an office floor. Can't think of any other differences.

Obviously in order to profit from a high-rise residential project the residential units would need to be high end so maybe developers are worried about both people being able to pay for high end and/or getting financing for these luxury units, but as stated above the office market is down to so its intersting what the bigger risk would be.

Russia Wharf will be OK though, if Wellington signed an 80% lease of office space (400sqft) lets say maybe $50 persq ft, thats 20 million per year so construction cost should be paid off soon, too bad Wellington didnt sign a lease with the Colombus Center.

1-16-09
DSC00793.jpg

DSC00795.jpg

DSC00792.jpg

DSC00791.jpg

DSC00788.jpg

DSC00801.jpg

DSC00804.jpg

DSC00806.jpg

DSC00805.jpg

DSC00787.jpg

DSC00800.jpg

DSC00802.jpg

DSC00809.jpg

thanks for the pix's^ when will we see the steel above the old building?

another old pix I've dug up.pre big dig vent
53003.jpg

With IC and when Russia Wharf is done, this vantage point will look so much better. It would look even better if there was a 1,000 footer behind it, and a 600' tower on top of that low-lying building attached to the Fed.

someone must have gotten hurt or killed on the job today.
there are approx 5 Fire Trucks and 3 Ambulances on hand right now on the site.
M80 can you give any details ?

Let's hope those guys are alright

From Boston.com:

Construction worker killed in downtown Boston accident
By John R. Ellement, Globe Staff

A worker was killed today at a downtown Boston construction site, fire and police department officials said this morning.

Rescuers were called to the Russia Wharf development site at 270 Congress St. shortly after 10 a.m. for a report of a heavy object falling on a person working in a hole.

The worker was taken to Boston Medical Center and was pronounced dead, authorities said.

Investigators from the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration are on the way to the scene, said Ted Fitzgerald, an OSHA spokesman.

Other workers gathered in small knots conversing at the site, but they were allowed to go home late this morning.

Because of the accident, police have closed Congress Street between Atlantic Avenue and Dorchester Avenue.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/01/construction_wo_2.html

:(

M80, if you are reading this could you check in?

This is horrible. I still remember the last fatal construction accident, back in April 2006 at the new Emerson College dorm on Boylston.

The jobsite was shut down today after the accident. It happened in the area to the left of the Gradall, in the picture. (picture is from a week ago) I don't feel really feel comfortable going into further details.

DSC00803.jpg

Last edited:

Back