Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Russia Wharf

Yea I miss them too, but this still looks good in my opinion.

I just want that ground level space along Congress to be active.......it felt really dead before.

It's funny that people miss those X-Braces (I do too), but there was a general panning of them on here and by Steve Bailey when that design was first released.

I like the old one better too

Untitled-2-copy.jpg

Oh yes, I'd much rather have that. External structural elements are cool to look at.

This is one instance where I think the old bracing design would have been a beneficial element. It's a basic, identifiable, not-too-confusing shape and form for an aesthetic transition from the old to the new. It implies that some interesting engineering feat is needed to bridge the old and new. The current design transition is too plain and too uneventful and too timid. You've got a dramatic group of older buildings, all different, but looking as if they belong together, then unified by what's on top of them, sorta.

Not that either of these examples for Russia Wharf will always work or fail for any other project of this ilk. See the Hearst Tower in NYC, for one--eeech.

Last edited:

Jeez ... looks like what the sand people drove in the first Star Wars (meaning, IV).

Not that either of these examples for Russia Wharf will always work or fail for any other project of this ilk. See the Hearst Tower in NYC, for one--eeech.

Are you kidding me? The Hearst Tower is absolutely stunning..

in the latest rendering it looks slimmer than in the other one with the v-bracing ... or maybe it's just the rendering.

here is the original proposal:

russia_wharf_elevation.jpg

^as usual, the first one is the best, the second is still good, and the chosen design most closely resembles a box.

New pics
DSC00875.jpg

DSC00877.jpg

DSC00897.jpg

DSC00899.jpg

DSC00902.jpg

DSC00903.jpg

DSC00909.jpg

DSC00907.jpg

DSC00911.jpg

DSC00913.jpg

DSC00839.jpg

Jumping the crane
DSC00845.jpg

DSC00848.jpg

DSC00874.jpg

DSC00889.jpg

DSC00917.jpg

the old building
DSC00865.jpg

DSC00868.jpg

DSC00926.jpg

Nice pics! And remember, be safe when taking these pictures. Don't risk your life for us. =D

They're "jumping" it, meaning they're adding a new section to make it taller.

Thanks for those pics, M80!

Beautiful preservation work! I like the arched ceilings.

Last edited:

Looks like we'll be able to see this building both on the harbor side and the river side(See cranes on skyline).The spire will add to the skyline from this angle on the pike
080.jpg
russia-wharf-1hhb.jpg

Jeez ... looks like what the sand people drove in the first Star Wars (meaning, IV).

LOL. Good observation. It looks like a giant air conditioning unit to me, not a good design for the area at all. The latest rendering is the best. It is simple and elegant and does not detract from the old architecture that is being preserved.

Back