ATTN: ADMIN

ATTN: PATRICK

Just turn spell check off. You're a smart kid, you don't need it :)

i aint no ked, I is a collage gradyouit and i shore doesnt need that there spell cheker, that you ken say agin.

oops, i think this put me one post ahead of you. haha :lol:

Did your browser closing spell checker scream at your invention of a word "ATTN" ?

(tied again, woot)

tied is an abbreviation for IM TIED WITH YOU AGAIN, BI-ATCH!

:)

shaolin shadowboxing, you think your wu-tang sword can defeat me!?!

we will see.

I can see this thread going VERY VERY far without anyone else posting in it :)

<3

castevens said:
So. Where did you go to college?

I just graduated from UVM, which in Latin stands for University of the Green Mountains, but which has come to be known as the University of Vermont. I hated the social life and area of the country, but altogether it provided me with a decent education. I majored in Politics, and double minored in history and economics. The school is on its way up, with 300 million in construction last year. I'm glad I'm out of there.

Haha, had to get credit for that post, huh? :)

Well you're way ahead of me now, but can't hurt to keep trying!

I'm, as everyone probably already knows, at Northeastern University in Boston. I am going for my doctorate in pharmacology, and I am spending this summer working at a pharmacy in Rhode Island.

castevens said:
Haha, had to get credit for that post, huh? :)

Well you're way ahead of me now, but can't hurt to keep trying!

I'm, as everyone probably already knows, at Northeastern University in Boston. I am going for my doctorate in pharmacology, and I am spending this summer working at a pharmacy in Rhode Island.

excellent money to be made in the pharmacy business, am i right? I have a friend who put herself through college as a pharm tech. I applied to northeastern law and went on a tour last summer. is the law school near where you attend or is it a separate campus?

Same campus. My room last year (Willis Hall) was facing that Law School's "Campus" (2 buildings, I think). My girlfriend is applying to NU Law this upcoming year.

Have you started law school yet, or are starting next year?

Patrick said:
excellent money to be made in the pharmacy business, am i right?

I was just looking at the salary statistics, and it is a well-known fact that Pharmacy has one of the highest starting salaries (but very little upward movement when seniority sets in), but I was still suprised at the numbers. In Boston, the middle 50% made 135k-145k with benifits included.

Also, it is one of the most sought-after majors in college, with one of the biggest rejection rates. It is estimated that in 2020, there will be 400,000 jobs in pharmacy, and only about 200,000 pharmacists.

castevens said:
Same campus. My room last year (Willis Hall) was facing that Law School's "Campus" (2 buildings, I think). My girlfriend is applying to NU Law this upcoming year.

Have you started law school yet, or are starting next year?

Yeah the "campus" is quite small...possibly even one building.

Good luck to your girlfriend, she will need it to get into NU law. I was rejected, not even waitlisted, and I had excellent statistics (even Villanova accepted me). People look at that list of top law schools and think NU Law isn't much because it is ranked 85th in the nation (compared to BU at 20th) but to tell you the truth, the bottom line is all that matters and they have one of the best programs in the country (paid internships for credit) and they are HIGHLY selective. best of luck to her, my rejection could have been a flip a coin deal so i dont mean to make it sound like its impossible to get in, but man was i shocked when i was denied admission. I'm sure your program was equally as selective.

I have not begun law school yet, I start August 31 of this year. I just graduated two weeks ago. dont really wanna go back to school :x

She has not taken the LSATs yet, so she is very nervous about that (because we have heard from other sources that NU is nearly impossible to get into), but she has a 3.6 GPA in History right now. Thanks for the good-luck, I will pass it on to her, but it is good to know that she will probably have to apply to other schools.

(Did you know that NU Law doesn't have grades??)

Best of luck to you at Maine Law! Keep us updated on how everything's going up there.

By just getting into law school, you've proven yourself to be the best of the best!

castevens said:
By just getting into law school, you've proven yourself to be the best of the best!
haha thanks...trying not to let that realization set in so that I don't look down my nose at other people and so I dont begin to think of myself as somehow better than the average person...thats when lawyers become "lawyers." and no one likes a freakin "lawyer." well, we'll see how I feel after the first year, I hear its about the hardest thing a human brain can ever do haha. if i make it through then i'll be proud of myself.

castevens said:
She has not taken the LSATs yet, so she is very nervous about that (because we have heard from other sources that NU is nearly impossible to get into), but she has a 3.6 GPA in History right now. Thanks for the good-luck, I will pass it on to her, but it is good to know that she will probably have to apply to other schools.

(Did you know that NU Law doesn't have grades??)

Best of luck to you at Maine Law! Keep us updated on how everything's going up there.

OKAY, now I have some advice for your girlfriend as a new veteran of the application process.

1. History is an excellent major to have (one of my minors was history). Law schools look at what course of study you chose as an undergrad, and anything which develops your critical reasoning and writing skills is a BIG plus. A C+ in history is better than straight A's in Nursing or something...so thats good.

2. tell her not to worry about the LSAT, just take a prep test (offered free at most colleges once or twice a year). That will let her know where she stands without any prep. then simply work on the areas that were below average or that shed wish to improve on. AND< this last point is very important, tell her not to study a prep book to death, like i did, because it can seriously derail you on test day. I ended up having to take the LSAT over again because on the day of the test I was focussing so much on the little tricks and shortcuts that the prep book gave me that I actually had very little time left over to focus on THE ACTUAL QUESTIONs. my score (149) reflected that. 150 is average. I then took the test again, with no prep, and I improved SIGNIFICANTLY. Just tell her to brush up on "skimming" so that she need not waste time on reading the passages in the reading section, and have her focus on strategies for answering the "logic puzzle" sections. I am hesitant to call the test a breeze, but if you relax, people tend to do much better. pass that on and she will do fine i bet.

3. If she wants a degree of relaxation come next year, have her apply to Suffolk University as her first application. It is the most technologically advanced law school in the country and they would accept someone with a 3.6 GPA in a heartbeat. Myself and two of my friends applied there and we were accepted within 2-3 weeks. other schools took several months. its not a bad school either, its just at the bottom of the boston area list. but its still very well equipped to form lawyers for todays world. half of mass legislators are suffolk grads.

my apologies on the long post 8)

castevens said:
Patrick said:
excellent money to be made in the pharmacy business, am i right?

I was just looking at the salary statistics, and it is a well-known fact that Pharmacy has one of the highest starting salaries (but very little upward movement when seniority sets in), but I was still suprised at the numbers. In Boston, the middle 50% made 135k-145k with benifits included.

Also, it is one of the most sought-after majors in college, with one of the biggest rejection rates. It is estimated that in 2020, there will be 400,000 jobs in pharmacy, and only about 200,000 pharmacists.

yeah thats impressive. I actually wanted to go into medicine when I was younger and I toured the Mass college of Pharmacy and Allied Health Science (MCPHS) in Boston and one of the major emphases there was how well-paid pharmacists and related positions are.

I think economics is like number two or three highest paid major starting, but thats only at $40,000 a year (nationally), so 100+ isnt that bad by comparison. starting lawyers from most national schools (including ANY in the boston area) usually earn $125,000/year. In portland I wont be so fortunate, but the cost of living here is also dramatically lower. The highest offered salary in portland for a beginning lawyer is at pierce atwood ($73,000/year). this seems like peanuts but for this region it is big bucks haha.

Back