Avalon Exeter | 77 Exeter Street | Back Bay

Re: New Tower(s) Planned For Prudential Center

Sorry, no update, just a geeky observation. Now that Google shows boundaries on zip codes (side note: not all zips are geographically bound or contiguous, so not sure how this always works - in any case...) I see 02199 is the zip code only for the Prudential Center. Pretty interesting. I heard once that the Twin Towers had their own zip code also, which I always thought was quite cool.

This is not something rare or odd. Most large skyscrapers have their own zipcode such as the Willis Tower and I believe ESB.

The first time I came across a building that had its own Zipcode is the Merchandise Mart in Chicago (at least until 2008)

mmart09.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchandise_Mart

/\ Proof that a landscraper doesnt have to be ugly or out of proportion. /\

Prudential Center has its own post office, too ...

/\ Proof that a landscraper doesnt have to be ugly or out of proportion. /\

There's always the Pentagon -- a truly immense building with some style and grandeur to it

from the wikipedia
The United States Postal Service has established six ZIP Codes for The Pentagon, to which the place name “Washington, D.C.” is assigned, even though The Pentagon is actually located in Virginia.

The Pentagon has over 20 of its own fast food operations, including Subway, McDonald's, Dunkin' Donuts, Panda Express, Starbucks, Sbarro, among others.[58] A multibranded KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell restaurant opened in 2003, when renovations to the food court were completed.[59] Food services are managed by the Navy Exchange. The Center Courtyard Cafe reopened in the spring of 2008,[60] replacing the "Ground Zero Cafe" snack bar that was previously there.

The_Pentagon_US_Department_of_Defense_building.jpg

rivers are always a great place for surface parking

Shep -- you had me rev-ed for something on the project LOL :=}

Well to keep the rest of the forum in suspense -- I can do one better -- there is an old 'Commie 70's era" apartment complex in Gdansk Poland that is so-big that it not only has its own Postal Code -- it has 3 Trolley Stops (one end, middle, other end)

I could be mistaken, but it sounds like you just described Boston University.

rivers are always a great place for surface parking

Interesting Tidbit:
PenRen, the company who was overseeing the renovation of the pentagon, did not want Hensel Phelps, the contractor who renovated 4 out of the 5 wedges of the Pentagon, to build parking structures. Hensel Phelps thought that it would allow more vehicles to park nearer the Pentagon so they wouldn't have to rely on the satellite lots which were a huge trek to get to.

I guess it is a security issue, but is sure would make the surroundings more attractive.

-Chase

Interesting Tidbit:
PenRen, the company who was overseeing the renovation of the pentagon, did not want Hensel Phelps, the contractor who renovated 4 out of the 5 wedges of the Pentagon, to build parking structures. Hensel Phelps thought that it would allow more vehicles to park nearer the Pentagon so they wouldn't have to rely on the satellite lots which were a huge trek to get to.

I guess it is a security issue, but is sure would make the surroundings more attractive.

-Chase

Chase -- welcome to the Forum

Back a few years ago (Star Wars growth era) there was a plan for something called the Arrowhead to be added to the Pentagon:

The Arrowhead would have been the world's largest office buildinng except for the original Pentagon adding about 5 Million sq. ft. to handle more effecient commuting, services for the employees and extra office space -- underground and deck parking was part of the plan

Got nixed when Clinton down-sized the DOD

later there was a plan to build a remote facility to handle receiving and some additional confort and services -- remote to provide a secure separation between these expendable functions and the regular office and technology-centric spaces -- I think there was some changes to parking on that one

That one also got nixed

Haven't heard any recent plans to change anything significantly since the court yard area was renovated and some basement stuff was put in place post the rebuild after 9/11

Soooooo... about that Prudential Center. Does anyone have any updates on the Avalon Exeter? I'm so bummed that I'm away from watching these projects for a bit, haha.

Chase -- welcome to the Forum

Back a few years ago (Star Wars growth era) there was a plan for something called the Arrowhead to be added to the Pentagon:

The Arrowhead would have been the world's largest office buildinng except for the original Pentagon adding about 5 Million sq. ft. to handle more effecient commuting, services for the employees and extra office space -- underground and deck parking was part of the plan

Got nixed when Clinton down-sized the DOD

later there was a plan to build a remote facility to handle receiving and some additional confort and services -- remote to provide a secure separation between these expendable functions and the regular office and technology-centric spaces -- I think there was some changes to parking on that one

That one also got nixed

Haven't heard any recent plans to change anything significantly since the court yard area was renovated and some basement stuff was put in place post the rebuild after 9/11

Thanks for the welcome!

The remote delivery facility was in fact built.

The pentagon had started to undergo a renovation before 9/11 had occurred, as chance had it, the portion of the pentagon that was hit by the plane had just finished its renovation, that area wasn't at full occupancy at the time that the plane had hit, which is why the death toll was fairly low and the damage was fairly minimal.

That portion of the project was then re-built using the original contractor, however, Penren wasn't as pleased with their performance during the remodel, and awarded the four remaining wedges as well as the aforementioned Remote Delivery Facility to Hensel Phelps. The project included a complete remodel of the interior, blast-proof windows, I believe Kevlar membrane in the walls, as well as structural enhancements and a total systems revamp. The remodel was completed in 2010 or 2011 I do believe.

The renovation turned out very nicely, it was amazing to walk between the renovated and un-renovated portions while the revamp was occurring. The old space was very dark and choppy. I'd hate to have had to work in the "old" pentagon.

-Chase

Thanks for the welcome!

The remote delivery facility was in fact built.

The pentagon had started to undergo a renovation before 9/11 had occurred, as chance had it, the portion of the pentagon that was hit by the plane had just finished its renovation, that area wasn't at full occupancy at the time that the plane had hit, which is why the death toll was fairly low and the damage was fairly minimal.

That portion of the project was then re-built using the original contractor, however, Penren wasn't as pleased with their performance during the remodel, and awarded the four remaining wedges as well as the aforementioned Remote Delivery Facility to Hensel Phelps. The project included a complete remodel of the interior, blast-proof windows, I believe Kevlar membrane in the walls, as well as structural enhancements and a total systems revamp. The remodel was completed in 2010 or 2011 I do believe.

The renovation turned out very nicely, it was amazing to walk between the renovated and un-renovated portions while the revamp was occurring. The old space was very dark and choppy. I'd hate to have had to work in the "old" pentagon.

-Chase

Though I was in DC summer of 2010 - -the Last time I was around the Pentagon was about when the WWII Memorial was dedicated -- so thanks for the update

Here's a capsule of the problem facing Boston to keeping recent graduates in the city -- I took the following 1 BR & 2 BR from Avalon Bay's website -- I think that most of these are contemporary structures either brand new or recently renovated -- note the differences in price:
http://www.avaloncommunities.com/massachusetts/

Compare the prices at the existing Avalon Bay apartments at the Pru with some in the various suburbs

Avalon at Prudential Center
780 Boylston Street
Boston, MA
One Bedroom from $2865/mo
Two Bedrooms from $4100/mo
Within 0.5 miles of a bus line(s) Within 0.5 miles of a metro/subway...Bike racks & bike storage...Sustainable lighting techniques...Recycling bins located throughout... Discover Avalon at Prudential Center, the apartment community with a premier Back Bay address. It's Time Well Spent with interiors that include parquet hardwood floors, superb views, and the convenience of on-site retail shopping more

Avalon Exeter
Leasing September 2013!
Discover Boston apartments that combine luxury with convenience. Avalon Exeter has the apartments you want with the features you deserve.

Some others:

Avalon at Chestnut Hill
160 Boylston St
Chestnut Hill, MA
One Bedroom from $2100/mo
Two Bedrooms from $2225/mo
NOW OPEN! An exceptional location, exciting surroundings, and an exquisite home. Welcome to life at Avalon Chestnut Hill, which has some of the best apartments in Newton, MA!
Our spacious studio, 1, 2, and 3 bedroom apartments feature elegant interiors, while superb amenities offer more reasons to love where you live. Set less than 10 miles outside of Boston, Avalon Chestnut Hill is perfect for those who appreciate a mix of big-city action and small-town serenity. Avalon Chestnut Hill is close to work, close to play, and far from ordinary. It's just what you've been looking for, and it's about Time Well Spent.

Avalon Acton
1000 Avalon Drive
One Bedroom from $1275/mo
Two Bedrooms from $1760/mo

Avalon Andover
460 River Rd.
One Bedroom from $1450/mo
Two Bedrooms from $1975/mo
A premier location in one of the most desirable towns in Massachusetts is the setting for Avalon Andover, a brand new, smoke-free, apartment community northwest of Boston, close to shopping, restaurants, and public transportation

Avalon at Lexington
100 Lexington Ridge Drive
Lexington, MA
One Bedroom from $1775/mo
Two Bedrooms from $1900/mo
Unleash your carefree spirit at Avalon at Lexington. Relax by the heated swimming pool with your friends, or have a BBQ party in the attractive picnic area. Venture out into the friendly neighborhood, filled with great dining and entertainment

Essex Place
51 Keys Drive
Peabody, MA
One Bedroom from $1220/mo
Two Bedrooms from $1385/mo
Within 0.5 miles of a bus line(s) Sustainable lighting techniques..Smart Rain Sensors used to reduce water...Recycling bins located throughout...Sparkling Swimming Pool

Weymouth Place
590 Middle Street
Weymouth, MA
One Bedroom from $1110/mo
Two Bedrooms from $1210/mo
Bike racks & bike storage...Within 0.5 miles of a bus line(s)...Sustainable lighting..Recycling bins located throughout...24-Hour Emergency Maintenance

Avalon at Assembly Row
Leasing July 2013!
Discover Somerville apartments that combine luxury with convenience. Avalon at Assembly Row has the apartments you want with the features you deserve.

Gist of it:
Pru 2 BR costs are between 2X and 3X of comparable suburban apartments -- this is tough on young families particularly if they also have to put 1 or 2 kids into private schools due to the disparity between the suburban and urban schools

Last edited:

^^ Yea there is a whole shit load of people who could really use a rent that was more like 900 a month. That would be more realistic to what they make with full time jobs.

I'm sorry, I'm busy burning all my macroeconomics books, you know, the ones that have the outdated "supply-demand" curves.

Please, continue.

I just mean costs of rent are a higher percentage of what a lot of people make these days, especially when you include college loans.

^^ Yea there is a whole shit load of people who could really use a rent that was more like 900 a month. That would be more realistic to what they make with full time jobs.

Then they should either get better jobs or lower their standards and accept the reality that a prime Back Bay address is not in the cards.

Thats what Sommerville and a roommate are for.

^^ I agree, and Prudential is a logical place for expensive apartments. I was referring to Whigs posting which had rents for new apartments in Acton and Andover for 1250 - 1400 respectively.

I'd say those are perfectly fair rents given their locations in relatively well to do towns with good schools, particularly Acton. For most people in their mid 20's who have made a few good financial decisions and are gainfully employed those rents should be easy. I realize you'd like to think that after you've invested a shitload of money in an education you're somehow entitled to a better standard of living but the simple fact is you're not. You're entitled to what you can afford, whether it's a shared room in some Allston seven bedroom firetrap special or the penthouse at the Mandarin. Perhaps you should have studied something other than basketweaving, anthropology or music, or instead of spending all your free cash on herb and PBR at the Sunset, you should have socked some of it away for post-college life, a rainy day or first/last/deposit on a respectable apartment. If $900 is all you can afford, tough shit, you'd do well to get used to Framingham, Quincy or Revere.

And when I say you, I don't mean you specifically, just the tens of thousands of assholes in this city who think going to college is some big fucking deal that entitles them to something other than a pat on the back, a cheap cigar and a decent bottle of scotch, provided they might know what constitutes a decent bottle of scotch.

Back