Avalon Exeter | 77 Exeter Street | Back Bay

Re: New Tower(s) Planned For Prudential Center

I'd say those are perfectly fair rents given their locations in relatively well to do towns with good schools, particularly Acton. For most people in their mid 20's who have made a few good financial decisions and are gainfully employed those rents should be easy.

...... If $900 is all you can afford.... you'd do well to get used to Framingham, Quincy or Revere.

Kmp -- I selected enough of the Avalon Bay properties to cover the full range --- they are building in Natick -- as well as the Pru and Assembly -- but there are no prices quoted yet for any of those

My point is that in most of the suburbs listed -- save the money and send your kids to the local public schools -- which you can not do in the city unless your student makes it into Boston Latin, etc.

So to compete with the suburbs -- a Boston or Sommerville apartment for a family with kids needs to be cheaper by about $1000 to $2000 per month -- or the politicians need to fix the schools

I'd say those are perfectly fair rents given their locations in relatively well to do towns with good schools, particularly Acton. For most people in their mid 20's who have made a few good financial decisions and are gainfully employed those rents should be easy. I realize you'd like to think that after you've invested a shitload of money in an education you're somehow entitled to a better standard of living but the simple fact is you're not. You're entitled to what you can afford, whether it's a shared room in some Allston seven bedroom firetrap special or the penthouse at the Mandarin. Perhaps you should have studied something other than basketweaving, anthropology or music, or instead of spending all your free cash on herb and PBR at the Sunset, you should have socked some of it away for post-college life, a rainy day or first/last/deposit on a respectable apartment. If $900 is all you can afford, tough shit, you'd do well to get used to Framingham, Quincy or Revere.

And when I say you, I don't mean you specifically, just the tens of thousands of assholes in this city who think going to college is some big fucking deal that entitles them to something other than a pat on the back, a cheap cigar and a decent bottle of scotch, provided they might know what constitutes a decent bottle of scotch.

I can tell you studied strawman building in college.

And when I say you, I don't mean you specifically, just the tens of thousands of assholes in this city who think going to college is some big fucking deal that entitles them to something other than a pat on the back, a cheap cigar and a decent bottle of scotch, provided they might know what constitutes a decent bottle of scotch.

picture.php

...or the politicians need to fix the schools

I know this is a huge off-ramp to the topic, but am I alone in seeing an array of problems with the idea casually stated above...

$2,865 a month in an absolute sense is a lot money...for a college grad or your basic workaday stiff....in a relative sense...considering it's downtown Boston in a great location...it's not THAT bad...you need to either be married or making $80-90k a year to afford it. For a single adult with 10-20 years of good work experience; that's not out of the realm of possibility. For younger couples making $40-50k each...also not bad.

One good thing about high rent is that it makes marriage seem much more practical. Lets get connubial baby and move on up to the Back Bay.

I don't know why I wrote that the way I did, I shouldn't have been bitchy.

Maybe it's because I live in a 687-square foot one-bedroom apartment that costs us $2,320 per month in mortgage loan payments, which doesn't include the $115 per month in condo fees or the ~$280 per month in property taxes.

Is it worth it? Not when people are getting shot in the face 2 blocks away ... but that's a different conversation, and not one I'm interested in pursuing.

RE Development is basically a loose cartel anyways...Supply/Demand curve is about as natural as silicone breast implants.

When I think of living situations, I also think of transportation. I know people increasingly do, but a lot (even those on this board) don't. Acton at $1200/month is probably equal to the Prudential if you add in the fact you don't need a car, car insurance, gas, (and parking although that's probably nothing in acton).

When I look at my own living situation, I put it all in context, because with an income (no matter what it is, even as it goes up) its a zero sum game in my mind. I could live in boston no car or the burbs with one and all the associated costs that come with having a job in cambridge. Those calculations work out differently for each situation. Then beyond that I factor in quality of life issues. Schools aren't an issue, but being able to walk out the door and get great food, drinks, concerts, and sports is something I am willing to pay a premium for. Others may not.

I just think the lack of variety for new developments is the biggest detriment to the market. Everything is or luxury this or that...it's pretty much tongue in cheek humor now

The flip side of that is that it takes market pressure of existing property, technically keeping their prices lower.

Are they keeping Lord & Taylor open during this work?

Off the current topic, but this is what the site looked like yesterday.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/beelinebos/6917647425/in/photostream
As you can see a portion of the Lord & Taylor has been demolished. Demolition of the plaza, to the left, and the north enterance to the garage are also moving along.

Bee -- how can you have the audacity to highjack a thread about new towers planned for the Pru -- which has deviated to discuss the market for 2 BR family accommodations -- to actually post a link to pictures of construction on a new tower at the Pru :=}

wait, this is actually, really being built?

This is great. Is Lord & Taylor remaining operational during the demo/construction?

This is great. Is Lord & Taylor remaining operational during the demo/construction?
Yes they will stay operational. The section of the store demolished was a backroom operation and did not infringe on the sales floor.

Back