Avalon Exeter | 77 Exeter Street | Back Bay

Its a old trick. Every architect uses it when one wants to push the vertical proportions.

cca

CCA, I thought using Colossal Order on windows was a technique to limit vertical proportions. You look and count 15 sets of windows and it seems like you're looking at a 15-story building when in reality it's a 30-story building. Do I have that backwards somehow?

Yeah, that stairway is great. They also used my all time favorite lighting fixtures on it!

Up close. I know that discolored precast panels have been discussed recently here and with Pier 4... in this case, I honestly think the discoloration was caused by rust from the tower crane, which was located in the middle of this side of the building. There isn't discoloration anywhere else.

I should've soomed in more for this, but you can see what I mean here:
\

This is framed very nicely by St. James.

This building doesn't take advantage of its location at the foot of St. James street. I guess it's too much to ask of developers to create great public spaces in unique locations such as with the Chicago board of trade building at the foot of LaSalle st. It need not be that monumental but this building could have offered more from this unique vantage at the end of st. James street. I guess I have high expectations for the Copley sq. area. Copley place, Trinity place and this building don't live up to what the Copley square area should offer architecturally.

14849126092_e536cc2558_b.jpg

The rear of this is unfortunate, it's been given a poorly executed treatment as if it was facing a back alley and had no visibility. Also, the center strip on the front is so vertical it leads the eye straight up but doesn't deliver a payoff at the top. I'm not crazy about spires but one might work here.

Horrible shot but they're finally finishing the sidewalk

15041007829_14780ca73b_b.jpg

Is it normal to have a public elevator on the outside of the building like that?

It's probably for handicap access to the plaza at the top of the stairs

What was the point of paving the sidewalk to tear it up a month later and fix it?

What was the point of paving the sidewalk to tear it up a month later and fix it?

Paving in asphalt = temporary safety and convenience, keeping nearby paving blocks from shifting, place-holding for future paving materials, opportunity for last-minute re-dos, easy to remove and replace.

Back