The Westin
The Marriott
The Christian Science Admin Bldg
101 Huntington
The Clarendon
500 Boylston

Did I miss any?

Re: New Tower(s) Planned For Prudential Center

Have there been any new renderings released since they were forced to lop off three stories for no apparent reason?

How long are building permits good for? This was fully approved by the city in December of '08, and received additional state environmental approval in Feb '09.

If what i can remember the permits are good for 2 years? Hence probably why they will start construction right before they are about to expire (anywhere between dec-feb depending on which approval its based on).

That also means 888 Boylston needs to get going or apply for an extension.

I might be making all of this up though too.

I don't know about progessive, but desperate, sure. Boston was in an economic downturn, and Hynes wanted the Pru there pretty badly.

It wasn't an economic downturn. The city was dead and desperate times called for desperate measures. In hindsight we can see how many were mistakes were made.**Read a book like Building a New Boston by Thomas O'Connor or Planning the City Upon a Hill by Lawrence Kennedy.

Meh, looks pretty bland to me.

^^Semantics (from my point of view, anyway, I'm no expert on economic terms). I did read Building a New Boston, it's fantastic.

Last edited:

Nope, they were just that much more desperate. Remember, they were still in 'dying city' mode back then.

It's amazing then that when a city is in a dying city mode that it develops more successfully then one that is almost stagnant. It's almost like a log function .

^^ Yeah but they also do stupid things like destroying the West End. It's not all wine & roses.

^^ Yeah but they also do stupid things like destroying the West End. It's not all wine & roses.

But that was in the 1950s through mid 1960s and that initiated the city's dying mode. 40 years ago is when the Hancock and downtown was being built out.

One of the Avalon/Prudential buildings is named The Fairfield. Are you sure it's not an existing structure?

o wow this building is beautiful just what the back bay needs!

That link didn't work for me. Can someone copy it and paste it into the forum?

Here's a site plan with the Mandarin in red.

bostoncpru10.gif

I always thought there were more old Pru towers.

So much trouble from three little buildings. Huh.

Where on that site plan is the new building?

Just above the L&T in the diagram, facing onto Essex.

Above meaning that it will be additional floors on top of the Lord & Taylor building? Where is Essex?

Sorry, meant EXETER!

Far left of the diagram.

Back