AvalonBay Tower (Jacob Wirth's) | 45 Stuart Street | Downtown

Re: Jacob Wirth's

Including Seattle with Vancouver is an insult to the latter. Vancouver, in my eyes, has hands down the best collection of residential towers in North America and perhaps the world.

A city like Miami could learn a lot from Vancouver.

45 Stuart Public Meeting
Thursday, September 08, 2011
6:30 pm - 8:00 pm

Division-Department: Economic Development - BRA
Description: The Proponent filed a Project Notification Form proposing a new 29 story building to replace an existing surface parking lot. AvalonBay is proposing 404 residential rental units and 198 parking spaces in an approximately 390,000 square foot building.
Neighborhood: Downtown
Email: Geoffrey.Lewis.BRA@cityofboston.gov
http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/calendar/scheduledet.asp?EventID=2869

Gee, another grotesquely fat mid-rise. What a surprise.

The totally unnecessary garage entrance on Stuart, directly adjacent to Jacob Wirth's, is the epitome of stupid, careless, narrow-minded design.

Gee, another grotesquely fat mid-rise. What a surprise.

The totally unnecessary garage entrance on Stuart, directly adjacent to Jacob Wirth's, is the epitome of stupid, careless, narrow-minded design.

Don't want to be pedantic but I don't think at 29 stories that you can call it a mid-rise

From on-line dictionary

mid-rise
   [mid-rahyz]
adjective
1. (of a building) having a moderately large number of stories, usually five to ten, and equipped with elevators.

I guess technically they're grotesquely fat high-rises.

Also, we've got another above-ground car garage -- another check on the list. I see a BRA standard developing here.

If it's a 26,000 sf lot, it can't be that fat. Although they are trying with the cantilever.
On the plus side, the site forces it to have an oddball shape (not a box.)

How the hell can they justify putting the garage entrance on Stuart street instead of Lagrange? :confused: It's infuriating.

I kinda dig it, though it is bland as you can get.

Makes me wish for them to develop the buildings on the corner of Stuart and Tremont to block the views of the lower floor apartments.

Maybe I gave up hope for this area long ago but I've been alright with what has gone up and what will be going up around here. I'm not asking for landmarks, I'd just like the city to be filled in better and getting more people living there will eventually liven up the streets.

it looks like it will be a handsome building. Not a "James Franco" or a "Johny Depp" handsome, but more of a "second best looking guy in the office" handsome.

Ay Carumba!(sp)

Picture2-2.png

Picture4.png

Picture3.png

Picture1-2.png

picture5.jpg

That's a shame that the anti-shadow lobby won out. I liked the unusual footprint.

I hope they kill it because I was planning on sun bathing on that part of the Common on December 21 at 9am.

I hope they kill it because I was planning on sun bathing on that part of the Common on December 21 at 9am.

Didn't you know, that's the part of the Common where the Polar Bear Club exercises in preparation for their first of the year plunge.

The shadow also presumes the sun is shining on Dec 21 at 9 AM, when records indicate that on that day at that hour, the sun is hidden by clouds 86.395 percent of the time.

Didn't you know, that's the part of the Common where the Polar Bear Club exercises in preparation for their first of the year plunge.

The shadow also presumes the sun is shining on Dec 21 at 9 AM, when records indicate that on that day at that hour, the sun is hidden by clouds 86.395 percent of the time.

Ah -- but that makes the loss of the potential rare sunlight all the more excruciating

Just imagine the one Dec 21 per decade when you've set up your temporary Stonehenge painstakingsly assembled out of loose popsicle sticks and are awaiting the solsticial sun to begin incantatng -- then BAM! the giant if fleeting shaddow of Jake Wirth's Tower blots out your ceremony -- almost like a giant Jake Boot

Almost would make a self respecting or self abusing? Druid think that it was Deutschland, Deutschland über alles after all

Last edited:

Surely you're aware of the Ray Bradbury classic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Summer_in_a_Day

Rains on Venus every day, scientists figure out how to stop it for a day. A little girl who was born on Earth is only one of her friends who remembers what the sun is. She keeps bragging about it, they lock her in the closet during the one day of sun.

project is on the meeting schedule for the November 17th BRA meeting:

Request authorization to adopt a resolution modifying the Park
Plaza Urban Renewal Plan to allow development on Parcel 4
Stuart Street Subparcel; to issue a Scoping Determination
waiving further review pursuant to Article 80, Section 80b-
5.3(d) of the Zoning Code for the construction of the 45 Stuart
Street Residences consisting of 404 residential units, with 40 on-
site affordable units; to issue a Certification of Compliance and
Certification of Consistency upon completion of the Article 80
review process; to petition the Zoning Commission for
approval of map amendment as an Urban Renewal Area “U*”
Overlay District; to approve the disposition of 24-25 LaGrange
Street; recommend approval to the Board of Appeal for the
Groundwater Conservation for a conditional use permit; and,
to execute all necessary documents.

http://bostonredevelopmentauthority...Board Meeting Agenda for 11-17-11 (draft).pdf

Back