Back Bay Garage Tower | Dartmouth and Stuart | Back Bay

Re: Back Bay Garage Tower (Dartmouth and Stuart)

Blah blah blah blah. Skyline. Fix the station and turn this into a vibrant destination spot with shops and restaurants and i'll be thrilled.

yeah, but I feel like this is more than simply gripping about the skyline. This is literally the last tall spot in Back Bay for a tower. After the active projects, we are basically down to SST, South Bay, 111 Federal, and this. Beyond that is really hard to see where to put 600+ footers? Is Boston just done with high rises at the point?

This is more than a question of the look of the skyline. At that point, developers will turn toward ripping down the pre-war downtown architecture for modern office stumps. Building tall on Back Bay Tower helps keep this at bay.

Ultimately, I think the opportunity of underbuilding at back bay tower is simply too high for both the developer and the city. Whatever marginal decrease in rents this would lead to in the existing JH, would be more than offset by additional office space in a new trophy tower. If it is centered on southern portion of Clarendon, it is unlikely it would really impact JH views much at all.

Not each new building in Boston needs to be a skyscraper. But, central Boston has so little developable land left that the 4 or 5 places left that can reasonably spout a 600+ foot tower should have one, not a 300-400 stump.

But there are still other parcels for development, if you think about it. All Pike air rights including Columbus Center. The Midtown Hotel. All the painfully ugly garages on Stuart Street. Newbury and Dartmouth.

^Not to mention redevelopment opportunities (redeveloping smaller buildings) similar to what we've seen John Hancock do with their planned Stuart St. building.

There are more lots in both downtown and Back Bay that are available for development than just 4-5 it can seem that way at times but there are plenty of garages to redevelop as well as open lots and there are some buildings that eventually could be redeveloped that are not very nice and could be replaced without removing anything significant architecturally. Here is a map I made showing lots that can be redeveloped or developed:

GOy63hi.png

Link:https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z-P0elakuhEs.kZS5pCWvD5k4&usp=sharing

Key:
Green- proposal or under construction
purple- likely to be redeveloped
Orange- unsure of feasibility or likelihood or redevelopment
Red- unlikely but technically possible
Blue- masterplan areas

citylover, I assume your map shows low rise structures prime for redevelopment like the PF Chang's location between the CSC reflecting pool and the Pru? I noticed the size of the two story building's footprint on one of the drone videos we have posted in another thread. Certainly larger than the 4 Season's footprint. The Hynes, Lord & Taylor and others could also go high.

I dont think anyone is going to go for that, the Pru complex is built out fully according to the plans. There'd be some pissed off people if they remastered those, even if it's 40 years later

Sadly, I think the Prudential complex is completely built out after 888 Boylston is completed.

There are a few areas as you mentioned that could be redeveloped into something more dense, but that would be difficult to do.

There are more lots in both downtown and Back Bay that are available for development than just 4-5 it can seem that way at times but there are plenty of garages to redevelop as well as open lots and there are some buildings that eventually could be redeveloped that are not very nice and could be replaced without removing anything significant architecturally. Here is a map I made showing lots that can be redeveloped or developed:

GOy63hi.png

Link:https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z-P0elakuhEs.kZS5pCWvD5k4&usp=sharing

Key:
Green- proposal or under construction
purple- likely to be redeveloped
Orange- unsure of feasibility or likelihood or redevelopment
Red- unlikely but technically possible
Blue- masterplan areas

Some updates for your map:

345 Harrison shown as purple should be green -- it is under construction. (Washington, Mullens Way; Harrison, Traveler)

Entire low-rise section from Herald to East Berkeley on the West side of Washington is under consideration for development. There is a proposal approved for the corner of Washington and East Berkeley (west side) thru to Shawmut -- Druker

East side of Shawmut near Herald is also under consideration. Holy Trinity Church conversion is under construction. Both the corner of Herald and Shawmut and the next buildings are both under development consideration for replacement right now.

There is a proposal letter of intent in for the parcels between Traveler and East Berkeley on Harrison (east side) (beansprout plant and former bakery) -- Related Beal

The entire south side of Kneeland between Surface Artery and Atlantic is up for grabs (DOT Parcels 25, 26, 27, 28) including the Veolia plant, which will get moved (out into the interchange wasteland south of there).

Also the corridor from the east side of Shawmut to Albany out through the South End was recently master planned (and up zoned in areas) (Harrison-Albany Corridor Plan)

Thanks for the updates I haven't updated it much in awhile. Most of the lots I highlighted are either low rise, parking garage or empty. I just like to keep this map to remind myself that there is a lot more land available for development than it seems and because it is cool to see it evolve. If anyone wants to get permission to edit it private message me and I can set that up.

But there are still other parcels for development, if you think about it. All Pike air rights including Columbus Center. The Midtown Hotel. All the painfully ugly garages on Stuart Street. Newbury and Dartmouth.

Shep -- the Midtown -- I'm amazed that after all that has been done on the Pru side and the other side of Huntington that the Midtown is still there

And of course the other garage across Dalton St. from the Hynes -- which I guess is now attached or part of at least one proposal for Parcel 15 air rights

Sadly, I think the Prudential complex is completely built out after 888 Boylston is completed.

There are a few areas as you mentioned that could be redeveloped into something more dense, but that would be difficult to do.

What about the Lord & Taylor site?

What about the Lord & Taylor site?

TallisGood -- as Reznor just posted -- the 888 Boylston completes the Pru development as amended from the original plan

Of course -- there is nothing to stop BP from going back to the BRA with a further amendment of the Pru plan

I doubt that there would be huge opposition to a smallish thin glass box [10 to 15 stories] placed on top of the L&T and set back from the front by a 20 to 30 feet -- you aren't getting 40 stories there however

Just saw the renderings can't post just yet 3 buildings nothing overly tall

2 boxes one rip off of the Seattle library was told they'll be made public after two pm today killing me not to post but I've gotten in trouble before

These are the same people with the uninspired towers at North Station. They are single-handedly stunting Boston's potential more than anybody since Menino. This is one of those spots where height should be encouraged, just like at North Station. Also, just looked it up, and the Seattle library looks like junk.

These are the same people with the uninspired towers at North Station. They are single-handedly stunting Boston's potential more than anybody since Menino. This is one of those spots where height should be encouraged, just like at North Station. Also, just looked it up, and the Seattle library looks like junk.

I agree on the first point. However, there are far worse things than the Seattle library (e.g., BP's entire portfolio, save the Salesforce Tower).

Let us wait for the renderings, and then we can all cry out in disgust.

So the towers at North Station are uninspired, but this quite inspired (and internationally-awarded) building is "junk"?

tumblr_m07ki1VmMb1qdhkl8o1_1280.jpg

Eye of the beholder, I guess.

Completely unrelated but if anyone is interested I just opened torchesnpitchforks.com

10% discount to ArchBoston members!

So the towers at North Station are uninspired, but this quite inspired (and internationally-awarded) building is "junk"?

tumblr_m07ki1VmMb1qdhkl8o1_1280.jpg

Eye of the beholder, I guess.

Right by Hancock, Trinity Church, and Boston Public Library? Yes, this would stand out like a sore thumb. It's not very good.

Back