Back Bay Garage Tower | Dartmouth and Stuart | Back Bay

Re: Back Bay Garage Tower (Dartmouth and Stuart)

The outside of this project looks awful. Looks like I-Robot Skyscraper joins Backbay Skyline. Completely out of character for this area.

The inside of the skyscraper's renderings look great.

This is kind of a PoMo, shortened version of the Hancock, at least it looks like it in the copley pic. Same color glass and both have a division along the short side.

I like it but could jump another 50' to really stand out

I like it in and of itself, but not necessarily that close to the Hancock.

Did anyone notice in the 6th picture that the bar area is somehow taller than the JHT? How'd they do that?

I think they might have taken pictures from the top of the Prudential and used those in the rendering?

I like it... but I don't love it. It will definitely be better than what's there right now. Also, pretty sure this is in the wrong thread?

This is becoming a very nice visit back to AB after a few days' absence. Thumbs up!

I think this looks a lot nicer than the Clarendon, which is ok, but kind of a snooze fest. Aside from the curvy part, I think it looks a lot like The Helena in NYC.

542422-Large.jpg

New address to planning study:

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/planning/planning-initiatives/stuart-street-study

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...r-new-tower/sIvpCwX0hQbGpnFQQStFDP/story.html

The owner of the John Hancock Tower in Boston is negotiating with Governor Deval Patrick’s administration to renovate and manage the MBTA’s Back Bay Station in exchange for the right to build a towering complex of residences, stores, and offices, state officials said Tuesday.

A deal could eventually allow developer Boston Properties Inc. to construct a skyscraper and at least one other building above the rehabilitated station, which would get a new retail arcade, ventilation upgrades, and a glass facade along Dartmouth Street. City officials would also have to approve the new buildings.

The full-scale restoration by Boston Properties, expected to cost at least $25 million, would not begin until fall 2015, but smaller upgrades could start within months. Simon is expected to outline the framework of the deal at a board meeting of the Massachusetts Transportation Department scheduled for Wednesday. Once the final details are negotiated, the board would be asked to vote on the deal later this year.

Did I just hear Ned Flaherty cry out in pain?

That is some bonus news right there to supplement all the great things going on right now. Even the timing is good!

This would be a great place for Boston's new tallest... of course the South End would throw a nutty.

Boston just keeps getting better with all of these developments planned/uc, in the next few years maybe 2017 we'll finally look like a "world-class" city.

Wow, this would be the perfect place for another iconic tower. When I was working in the Hancock Tower I would often jump on the Orange Line to get to South Station and would always think about how great this area would look if that garage was developed into a tower.

A situation like this is win-win for the city since it would reduce costs for maintenance of a station & provide free renovations while simultaneously increasing tax revenue.

Last edited:

Back Bay Station could definitely use a renovation. It's got great bones, but it's just so fucking dark and musty in there. Even doing something incredibly simple like a paint job would turn it into a totally different place.

Bonus points on this project if Ned throws a fit, and gets shut down by Patrick/Walsh.

Bonus points on this project if Ned throws a fit, and gets shut down by Patrick/Walsh.

I've been as entertained by him as anyone, but why would he throw a fit if the overall amount of decked-over Turnpike isn't changing? At most they'd be replacing a garage over the highway with buildings, and the article implies that the skyscraper would be over the new concourse on the current plaza, not on new air rights.

Because Ned's problem wasn't the decking. Ned's problem is he's a class-A complain-at-all-costs NIMBY. If he wasn't complaining about the deck, he'd find some other Bogey Man to complain about.

I've been commuting through Back Bay Station for about 20 years and I swear it's probably taken that many off my life expectancy. It's the dirtiest air in Boston, that I know of anyways. Perfect place for development and sounds like that garage right next store would go too, thank God. It's only common sense to build there, surprised it's taken this long. All this development kinda has a snowball effect.

I've been commuting through Back Bay Station for about 20 years and I swear it's probably taken that many off my life expectancy. It's the dirtiest air in Boston, that I know of anyways. Perfect place for development and sounds like that garage right next store would go too, thank God. It's only common sense to build there, surprised it's taken this long. All this development kinda has a snowball effect.

Hopefully it'll snowball into a couple more air rights projects along the pike in that area.

Very exciting stuff, even if any potential tower wouldn't be coming along for several years.

As for my personal top ten list of projects I'd like to see get off the ground this year (not that anyone asked, and in no particular order):

1. CSC/Four Seasons
2. Copley Tower
3. North Station Tower
4. MassDOT Parcel 12/15
5. Fenway Center
6. Fenway Burger King/Skanksa
7. Nashua Street Residences
8. Lovejoy Wharf Condo Portion
9. Congress St. Towers
10. The Point

And if we could slide Harbor Garage and Winthrop Sq. towers into next year, i'd be quite happy with that :)

Back