Back Bay Garage Tower | Dartmouth and Stuart | Back Bay

Re: Back Bay Garage Tower (Dartmouth and Stuart)

Get those wind studies out then! And just think of the SHADOWS!!!

Can't have anyone in Union Park missing their sunsets now can we?

Nice, but I don't think shadows would ever reach as far as Union Park. Remember, the complaints about Columbus Center (and, for that matter, the Simon Tower) were from abutters.

Nice, but I don't think shadows would ever reach as far as Union Park. Remember, the complaints about Columbus Center (and, for that matter, the Simon Tower) were from abutters.

Yeah, the angle of the sun wouldn't cast shadows that way. But a 1000' foot tower would certainly cast shadows that distance away in whatever direction... the Pru casts shadows on the Boston Common in the late evening at certain times of year.

Not that I care about shadows, I'm just anticipating the cries of outrage about "Manhattanization"

^I've always felt that the Hancock Garage site is the perfect spot for a 1000' tower. Far from any Logan flight paths, across the street from an existing 800' (and future 600+') tower, and replaces a cement brutalist monstrosity. Nothing but win.

I wouldn't want a building in that location to be taller than the Hancock, or even within 100 feet of it. I don't want anything to detract from the Hancock's ability to soar and dominate its immediate area... ESPECIALLY because whatever we get will most likely not be as good as the Hancock, both in terms of design and materials.

This would also irreparably unbalance the Back Bay skyline. If something taller than the Hancock was proposed here, chances are I would be one of the most outspoken people fighting against it.

^ This. I'd like to see a new tallest either downtown or an evenly-spaced distance from either the Pru or Hancock along the high spine.

I wouldn't want a building in that location to be taller than the Hancock, or even within 100 feet of it. I don't want anything to detract from the Hancock's ability to soar and dominate its immediate area... ESPECIALLY because whatever we get will most likely not be as good as the Hancock, both in terms of design and materials.

Sometimes you guys are the architectural equivalent of NIMBY's. Seriously.

Sometimes you guys are the architectural equivalent of NIMBY's. Seriously.

Some people here would be all for a skyscraper made of feces if it was 1000' tall.

I would like something to pass the Hancock, but it has to be the right skyscraper in the right place. Literally right next to the Hancock itself is not the right place. Location matters.

Said this before, but personally would like to see a reflecting glass tower in the shape of a sleek obelisk, about 900'-950', at Winthrop Square.

I would like something to pass the Hancock, but it has to be the right skyscraper in the right place. Literally right next to the Hancock itself is not the right place. Location matters.

I think you could count on one, maybe two hands the number of sites in Boston that can potentially support supertalls, and we're going to worry over the supposed sanctity of the John Hancock?

Some people here would be all for a skyscraper made of feces if it was 1000' tall.

Said this before, but personally would like to see a reflecting glass tower in the shape of a sleek obelisk, about 900'-950', at Winthrop Square.

Well, the FAA won't let you have Winthrop Square, as nice as that would be (just directly transplanting the London Shard to Winthrop Square is pretty much what I have in mind). Congress St. Garage might be the best we can get, if it ever gets off the ground.

I agree that what's around a tall building matters. The close proximity of the Pru and 111 Huntington detracts from both, IMO.

I think you could count on one, maybe two hands the number of sites in Boston that can potentially support supertalls, and we're going to worry over the supposed sanctity of the John Hancock?
Well, the FAA won't let you have Winthrop Square, as nice as that would be (just directly transplanting the London Shard to Winthrop Square is pretty much what I have in mind). Congress St. Garage might be the best we can get, if it ever gets off the ground.

I agree that what's around a tall building matters. The close proximity of the Pru and 111 Huntington detracts from both, IMO.

I had actually written a post identical to these, but backed out on posting it because I do have a soft spot for the way the JHT looks on the skyline from Cambridge. I've been thinking about it and I ultimately stand with both of your and my initial feelings. Aesthetics are not worth sacrificing progress and growth of our city. Thank you for posting this.

If we actually want a supertall, one will never be built downtown/FiDi as long as Logan is in its current location. This is an ideal spot for a cluster of towers.

The people of back bay would strongly disagree I would wager. The new tallest in the city SHOULD have been Filenes tower at about 800 but they missed out on a golden opportunity. The city and most others would have said yes to most Anything to get that filled that hole.

I love JHT, but it had its time, its not going anywhere either. If something can get built here, let it, you will get used to it minimizing JHT.

I would rather have 2-3 500-650 ft towers built in the Back Bay than 1 900-1000 ft foot tower.

Developers pitch new design for Back Bay tower

development-3913.jpg

By Casey Ross, Globe Staff

A Boston development team is pitching a revised design for its proposed 33-story tower at the site of the former John Hancock Hotel & Conference Center in the Back Bay.

The newly re-shaped tower by The Architectural Team of Chelsea would be simpler and more slender than its predecessor, with gentle curvy lines juxtaposed against sharp angular faces. The building, at 40 Trinity Place, is planned to reach 400 feet in height, with a mix of hotel rooms, condominiums and three new restaurants.

In a city filing released Wednesday, developer Trinity Stuart LLC -- a joint venture of Jordan Warshaw and hoteliers Jeffrey and Gary Saunders-- propose to reduce the number of condominiums from 142 to 115. They also want to combine the hotel’s function space and mid-sized restaurant into “sky lobbies” on the building’s upper floors.

Trinity Stuart purchased the property in December 2011 from John Hancock Life Insurance Co., and has since been pursing plans for a towering redevelopment. The proposed project is among the largest in the city and would bring renewed activity to a perpetually dark corner of the Back Bay.

Before construction can begin, the developers must get approvals from the Boston Redevelopment Authority, and other city and state agencies.

The proposed building has a number of unusual design features, including the “sky lobby” atop the building that would incorporate a restaurant overlooking a three-season roof terrace. The main hotel lobby would be located on the 18th floor, with connected function and conference space on the 19th floor. Another restaurant will be located on the ground floor at the corner of Trinity and Stuart Streets.

The hotel’s interior is being designed by Paul Taylor , the architect of New York’s NoMad, Ace and Crosby hotels.

“Paul has achieved national renown for his neighborhood-focused hotels, which create gathering spaces for people who live and work in their neighborhoods, as well as hotel guests,” Jeffrey Saunders said in a press release Wednesday. “The result is something uniquely Boston, but with a design, layout and energy that Boston has never before seen.”

The Saunders Hotel Group owns and operates the Lenox Hotel, and the Saunders previously developed the Jury’s Hotel (now Loews Hotel), also located on Stuart Street in the Back Bay.

Link

Looks an awful lot like Millennium's Ritz towers.

That design is about 15 years out of date.

I like that a lot. It's a very sleek design IMO. I really hope it can get some traction, but how long until the NIMBYs come out in full force and complain it's too tall despite being directly next to a 60 story building?

I'm happy this site is being redeveloped, but I'm also bummed this isn't going to be taller. So close to the Back Bay Station, this should've at least been proposed over 600 feet.

Back