Back Bay Garage Tower | Dartmouth and Stuart | Back Bay

Re: Back Bay Garage Tower (Dartmouth and Stuart)

900'+ please. :D

I have heard that they may not go as tall here as expected. Given that this is the same development firm that is currently spitting the bit on the North Station towers, Boston Properties may single-handedly ruin our skyline's potential at 2 of the most high-profile locations in the city.

I hope I'm wrong, but considering the footprint here is much bigger than the North Station footprint (I think?), I expect many of us will be disappointed with this.

I mean they essentially are building two 500+ foot towers. Granted, in an area of the city that faces the airport, so how much higher could they even have gone?

I have heard that they may not go as tall here as expected. Given that this is the same development firm that is currently spitting the bit on the North Station towers, Boston Properties may single-handedly ruin our skyline's potential at 2 of the most high-profile locations in the city.

I hope I'm wrong, but considering the footprint here is much bigger than the North Station footprint (I think?), I expect many of us will be disappointed with this.

1.4 million suggests that it will be pretty disappointing, actually. That's somewhere between 30 and 50 stories depending on the footprint, and that assumes that all the square footage is in the tallest building (which it won't be).

Fenway Center has proposed 1.3 million square feet on a 200,000 square foot site - depending on what you count as part of the site in this case, it's a pretty good comp.

I suspect the actual proposal will have one 888 Boylston or North Station Office Tower to it, plus a few smaller buildings. Nothing skyline-altering.

Yeah, I haven't been impressed with most of their offerings in this development cycle. Atlantic Wharf is nice, but garden towers blow (podium will be nice), and 888 Boylston is below average. Most of their developments in other major cities (excepting the Salesforce Tower) are blah too.

Personally, this tower has a lot going against it. It's right across the street from the future Copley tower, which took a ton of heat due to shadows on Copley Square, yadda, yadda, yadda. I just see the NIMBY's going to town on this thing.

I mean they essentially are building two 500+ foot towers. Granted, in an area of the city that faces the airport, so how much higher could they even have gone?

For starters, the residential was approved to 600' to the top of the highest occupied floor. Add a very reasonable crown and let's say around 645', or a full 150' taller than they are going with it. Considering most of the plateau is in the 500'-600' range, that extra 150' they left on the table would have made all the difference in the world. Instead of a beacon for North Station and the Garden, we will have a complex that fails to crack the top 20 tallest buildings in the city and has a mediocre design for a mediocre final product.

For starters, the residential was approved to 600' to the top of the highest occupied floor. Add a very reasonable crown and let's say around 645', or a full 150' taller than they are going with it. Considering most of the plateau is in the 500'-600' range, that extra 150' they left on the table would have made all the difference in the world. Instead of a beacon for North Station and the Garden, we will have a complex that fails to crack the top 20 tallest buildings in the city and has a mediocre design for a mediocre final product.

Good info. They should go higher. Am I incorrect in stating that the BCDC hasn't approved these designs yet?

From the BRA, just a massing study.

That study must be super old because it has some residential/commercial mix where the LM tower is currently. Also has some stuff where JH3 is going. I wouldn't give it any credence.

It is old its just a reference point they came up with for shadows and massing.

It is old its just a reference point they came up with for shadows and massing.

stick -- that is true -- but I'm willing to bet that BP is doing to 200 Clarendon what has happened to the original Pru -- adding complementary smaller towers to build out the development into one larger integrated complex

From the BRA, just a massing study.

I like that there appears to be tolerance for some height on the southeastern corner of berkeley and columbus. looking over the margins of bay village on google earth more closely, it's impressive how much undeveloped land there is all around that area especially on and just off of arlington.

Given than this is the last big developable parcel in one of the nation's strongest office districts, I just can't imagine they wouldn't try for an iconic 700-850 footer. After SST, 111 Federal, SB Tower and this site, I just don't know where future 600+ footers will go?

Given than this is the last big developable parcel in one of the nation's strongest office districts, I just can't imagine they wouldn't try for an iconic 700-850 footer. After SST, 111 Federal, SB Tower and this site, I just don't know where future 600+ footers will go?

Jpdivola -- Boston Properties just paid a whole lot for the John Hancock Tower which they renamed 200 Clarendon -- I don't think that they would build high to challenge the 200 Clarendon right across the street

But fear not about tall buildings we are still waiting for the outcome of the process for the old city garage at Winthrop Square

After the success with selling the condos in the MT there might be an incentive for more height than the original preliminary proposals

Honestly if Winthrop Square goes to the FAA height limit I think that it will be so crucial to the skyline that along with one bromfield we will be in very good hands. That crown/focal point over downtown will do so much to improve the skyline that if we can get that piece of the puzzle done everything else will fall into place. I could absolutely live with a 750ft tower at that site that pulls everything together until the next development cycle. If we don't get it then I think we are missing a huge opportunity and this entire boom we have been experiencing will kind of feel like a waste. If we get that one tower I think it was a success.

Blah blah blah blah. Skyline. Fix the station and turn this into a vibrant destination spot with shops and restaurants and i'll be thrilled.

I apologize i thought i was posting in the winthrop garage thread. Disregard. I agree with the poster above about this development.

Back