Berklee Expansion Plans | Back Bay

In chunks.

I tried to respond to the loitering issue politely, but I erased that as it didn't capture the problem properly. Kids acting like jackasses with no regard to other pedestrians isn't an attribute of a healthy city. When you have small children and walk through the area daily, you tend to get defensive of your kids well being, and if I have to navigate 30 kids with dangling cigarettes who aren't paying attention to my short companion, or the inevitable group of 3 or 4 guys jumping on each others back and knocking into other pedestrians, then I lose compassion for my fellow sidewalk users. I have no issue with these activities, rather that they chose the miserable narrow setback to "loiter" in combined with the #1 bus stop and the fact that people are constantly loading/unloading piles of band gear there.

Fair enough. It's crowded along that stretch (though healthily crowded the way I see in other major cities with large pedestrian crowds). It is hardly the fault of the pedestrians that the city grew the width of Mass Ave. Community pressure will shrink it down again. That's a standard setback along that stretch.

The existing facade building is fine, but I would trade it (and the Gehry building) for an additional 8' of sidewalk.

I disagree with 30', 40' setbacks. I look at the gaping wide hole in front of something like 500 Boylston, and it's pointless to me. This is a dense area. It should be dense. I'm one of the few that likes the siting of the Mandarin though (not the execution, but the siting), so I'm obviously a moron.

As far as their Comm Ave dorm, I would be amenable to allowing additional height in the proposed tower in exchange for them selling their "lime/brownstone" dorm. It's not that the students there create any major issues (certainly less than drunk Red Sox fans walking down Comm Ave), but rather I agree with the concept that student housing should be centralized. It is easier to manage (both the students and the infrastructure) and concentrates their socializing separate from the permanent residents. We're talking about a matter of 3 blocks here, not full-on segregation. Finally, if I'm that poor kid that lugged his accoustic stand-up bass back and forth every day, I'd be pretty stoked to live closer to the academic buildings.

The point of this project (as I read the IMPNF and have understood from the few meetings I've attended) is to INCREASE student housing sites per the Mayor's directive. Not centralize. Not ease infrastructure load. Not make it easier for kids with standup basses. Not to manage students. To increase the bed count.

You say it yourself:

Really, it comes down to, what exactly is the point of the student dorm tower if not to pull more students on campus?

Right. I don't know how allowing them to build dorms---but predicating construction upon selling other dorms---gets more students on campus? If you're open to additional height, why not let them build tall enough to house ALL students across the three existing and one new dorm. Problem solved at Berklee!

Meeting tonight:
Berklee Public/Task Force Meeting
Thursday, February 19, 2009
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm

Division-Department: Economic Development - BRA
Description: Public meeting for interested members of the public to learn about Berklee College of Music's proposed Institutional Master Plan and the Article 80 review process. The meeting will be held from 6:00-7:00 p.m. From 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. the Berklee Task Force will meet in the same location.
Location: Boston Public Library's Glass Orientation Meeting Room (in the original building?enter from Dartmouth Street).

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/calendar/scheduledet.asp?EventID=2031

Institutional Master Plan online:
http://www.berklee.edu/taskforce/presentations/IMPNF.pdf

Berklee buys buildings from church
By Herald staff
Friday, April 17, 2009

Boston?s Berklee College of Music has bought a strip of buildings on Massachusetts Avenue from the First Church of Christ, Scientist.

The $6.25 million deal announced today is for a 13,300-square-foot parcel with buildings leased to Berklee, a McDonald?s and Korean restaurant Arirang House.

The music school approached the church to acquire the property, located between Belvidere and St. Germain streets, as part of a broader redevelopment of its Back Bay campus.

?This is a strategic acquisition for the college because of the property?s location in the center of our campus, and its eventual redevelopment will help to meet our pressing space needs,? said Berklee President Roger Brown, in a statement.

The church has leased space to Berklee for more than a decade.

?This parcel is not immediately adjacent to the Christian Science Plaza and is not part of the church?s long-term plans,? said Margaret Rogers, chairwoman of the church?s board of directors, in a statement. ?We recognize its importance to Berklee and were pleased to work with them.?

Berklee said it is still working on a timetable for its institutional master plan and has no specific plans yet for the parcel it just purchased.
http://www.bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/view.bg?articleid=1166337

e7a712ca08_ltpBerkprop041709.jpg

photo courtesy of the Herald

This is all-around good news. Berklee needs the land for future expansion, while the Christian Science Church needs the money. I expect Berklee will want to replace these forgettable one-stories with something of more appropriate height for the neighborhood.

I wish Berklee would gobble up the next block to the south, which contains an equally blah two-story building.

Last edited:
Like Ron said, all-around good news! Although it's cool to be able to see the Back Bay skyline from Mass Ave (when walking on the west side), I look forward to it eventually having a real streetwall.

Like Ron said, all-around good news! Although it's cool to be able to see the Back Bay skyline from Mass Ave (when walking on the west side), I look forward to it eventually having a real streetwall.

Rather, returning the streetwall. The building that occupied this plot burned out and was condemned in '65 or '66, and was 4 tall stories, the same height as across the street. A good purchase, for all parties IMHO.

Can't add much to what was said, but I'm trying to remember, is this the block with Pizza-Pie-er? How about the costume shop? Those buildings might be worth saving just for Pizza-Pie-er if it can't be relocated! :)

Can't add much to what was said, but I'm trying to remember, is this the block with Pizza-Pie-er? How about the costume shop? Those buildings might be worth saving just for Pizza-Pie-er if it can't be relocated! :)

That's a block south, closer to the church. Berklee's purchase is the block that has McDonalds, Arrirang House and the old City Sports.

From the summer issue of Berklee Today:

1060591.jpg

Dear Members of the Berklee Family:

I'm pleased to write you about the progress of our Giant Steps capital campaign. You may recall that in the spring of 2008 we kicked off Giant Steps as the first-ever capital campaign in the history of Berklee, with a five-year goal of $50 million.

We've been overwhelmed by the generous support of alumni, parents, business leaders, and others who have contributed to the campaign. I'm pleased to report that in the most difficult financial climate most of us have ever experienced, we've reached our aggressive 2009 goal, and the Giant Steps total now stands at $36 million. In a little more than three years, we have raised more than 70 percent of our five-year, $50 million goal.

We have ambitious goals for Berklee, and they are achievable. But we need the resources to make them realities. Giant Steps will help us establish the financial foundation necessary for Berklee to sustain its status as the leader in contemporary music education. This means increasing scholarship support, improving our facilities, and revitalizing our campus, as well as constantly cultivating and realizing innovative ideas.

While all three goals are vitally important, I'll focus my comments here on facilities, a front on which we've recently made enormous progress. I believe part of what helps make the magic of Berklee is the physical proximity and concentration of so many musicians practicing, performing, composing, and creating. Acquiring property in the Back Bay neighborhood is never easy, so we are fortunate to have purchased several properties that are close to our core campus, and all within 200 feet of its center.

First to come online will be our 7 Haviland Street building, formerly the Fenway Community Health Center, which will open in January 2009 as the new home for the Liberal Arts, Music Business, and Music Therapy departments. Feeding the musician's inner life, using music as a tool for healing, and remaking a music business that can inspire the creation of new music are part and parcel of these areas. Not only is this a brand-new facility with eight classrooms, it brings these important aspects of our curriculum directly to the center of our campus.

We've also completed the purchase of the Mason Block spanning 155, 161, and 171 Massachusetts Avenue, which many of you know houses ground-floor tenants Dunkin' Donuts and Daddy's Junky Music. Most recently, we acquired the property directly across the street, 154-174 Massachusetts Avenue, the site of McDonald's, Arirang House restaurant, and Berklee's mailrooms.

A couple of years ago, before the financial picture changed, we purchased several properties in our campus core along Boylston Street, between Massachusetts Avenue and Hemenway Street. By this fall, the row will also feature a new, larger Berklee bookstore and several other retailers that will improve the look and feel of this stretch of Boylston Street. All these services will better meet the needs of our students.

Given the financial pressures we face and the large investment we've made in additional student financial aid, developing the Massachusetts Avenue properties will be a longer-term project. But with these strategic acquisitions, we have assembled several prime properties in the heart of our campus. The prospect of securing significant new space for our community is becoming a reality.

While we are looking forward, I think it's important to reflect on the growth in Berklee made possible by the visionary moves of Lawrence and Lee Berk with the purchases of 150 Massachusetts Avenue, the Berklee Performance Center, and the Uchida building, to name just three. Without these facilities, what would a Berklee experience be like for students, faculty, and staff? I think this helps us to understand the benefits of these new facilities for future Berklee students.

It's important to understand that during these difficult financial times, it's our Giant Steps donors who have made these strategic moves possible. We are deeply grateful to them. Through their support of vital scholarships, innovative ideas, and groundbreaking facilities, they are making a new Berklee possible.

Yours,

Roger H. Brown

That looks nice and all, that strip has always been a bit of a dump, but they cheerfully omit the fact that it is across the street from the Pike. Who want's to hang out there?

That looks nice and all, that strip has always been a bit of a dump, but they cheerfully omit the fact that it is across the street from the Pike. Who want's to hang out there?

I think you overestimate the effects of the Pike. Sure it could be better, but that block (or at least that side of the block) gets so much pedestrian traffic that a decent social realm manages to exist, seemingly regardless of what surrounds it.

For instance, the outdoor seating that's already there (Crazy Dough and Teriyaki House) is always in full use, despite the ambience being less than stellar. And on the opposite side of the Pike, The Other Side manages to be popular even though outside its front door is literally an on-ramp.

I think you overestimate the effects of the Pike. Sure it could be better, but that block (or at least that side of the block) gets so much pedestrian traffic that a decent social realm manages to exist, seemingly regardless of what surrounds it.

For instance, the outdoor seating that's already there (Crazy Dough and Teriyaki House) is always in full use, despite the ambience being less than stellar. And on the opposite side of the Pike, The Other Side manages to be popular even though outside its front door is literally an on-ramp.

I agree with kz. The Pike is also depressed enough that, except if traffic is at a standstill, it fades into a background hum. Plus, someday this block will be across from a very expensive building covering the Pike.

In related news, progress continues on the decades-overdue sidewalk replacement. Fenway News reports Berklee & friends should finish mid-August, when the city then starts on their piece.

**tears** Jack's Drum Shop has been gone since early '08 (note: I'm a drummer, and I miss the place!).

bbfen said:
The Pike is also depressed enough that, except if traffic is at a standstill, it fades into a background hum.

Yep. As I've also said before, I lived above the piano store for almost 3 years (looking out onto the Pike, Boylston St... the whole lot), and out of all the things producing noise there -- the highway, the commuter/Amtrak lines, the fire engines from the nearby station, the ambulances coming down Mass Ave and turning onto Boylston en route to Longwood, cars honking their horns -- out of all those, the highway was by far the least intrusive aspect. I actually liked its "background hum."

I am sorry to give the sad memory you have. I saw there Gretsh black pearloid drums I wanted, but NO money!!!

ps I remmber wrong. It was Ludwig drum kit

Last edited:
Yep. As I've also said before, I lived above the piano store for almost 3 years (looking out onto the Pike, Boylston St... the whole lot), and out of all the things producing noise there -- the highway, the commuter/Amtrak lines, the fire engines from the nearby station, the ambulances coming down Mass Ave and turning onto Boylston en route to Longwood, cars honking their horns -- out of all those, the highway was by far the least intrusive aspect. I actually liked its "background hum."

OMG, why arent you in the hospital for those smoke particle things Ive been reading about?

ZOMG, maybe it's time to become a hypochondriac and play along with you-know-who...

Yesterday on Boylston:

dscn1568m.jpg

The bookstore will be moving here (where the piano store used to be)

dscn1569u.jpg

dscn1570f.jpg

It's about time they did something with that mangy sidewalk (also, the awning for Jack's Drums is now gone)

dscn1571z.jpg

Now on Haviland Street, the old Fenway Clinic building already has a Berklee banner up:

dscn1576oik.jpg

dscn1577a.jpg

Mass Ave, here are the properties Berklee recently purchased:

dscn1578f.jpg

And these are in the midst of being renovated:

dscn1580x.jpg

Back