Berklee Expansion Plans | Back Bay

(From MDS)
558954d8def57_axon1.jpg

Wow, what a mess of floor elevations.

Last edited:
^ Dude, I'm awesome with spatial perception and all, but that place confused the hell out of me the entire time I was there. It was only a couple years after leaving Berklee that I saw floor plans for 150 that I was finally able to make sense of it all, but to this day it's still a clusterfuck trying to navigate it in person.

It's one of those places that no matter how often you're there you always have to "feel" your way through it, and cross your fingers you end up where you need be.

Yea it really can't be overstated how odd that whole labyrinth is. All types of little inclines and declines, twisting hall ways, and dead ends that lead to drum rehearsal rooms, that obviously have guys shooting up in them.

My opinion:

That type of cement board cladding is too light (visually) to carry being a building base (visually). Not a good choice.

cca

I would agree it looks really awkward being used at the base of a very solid looking brick building.

I know it is a mind game but that doesn't change the fact it is a poor design choice. This is like a fashion designer making jeans that are denim for only the upper 3/4 and after that are made of lightweight silk they would be considered ridiculous and would look awful because the fabric would not work together well. Just like how in this building the heavy upper masonry portion of this building is clashing with the new ground floor cladding.

Also even someone from a small village in Europe knows that not all buildings use load bearing walls.

Back