Berklee Expansion Plans | Back Bay

Solid addition to the skyline and just the first in what should be an impressive cluster in the next few years. Kinda like it as is with the yellow and purple.

It already helps make up for that piece of shit on Back St by the Esplanade.

It already helps make up for that piece of shit on Back St by the Esplanade.

You mean the fabulous slab of 1960 Mad Men Manhattan? It's so easy to imagine Don Draper living here in a bitchin' pad with a sunken living room. It's one of the relatively few places in Boston where you can visualize that kind of glamour actually having happened.

The front is all bay windows, but they are irregular 2-sided bay windows with a jazzy asymmetrical rhythm running all up and down the facade. The river-facing balconied side has to be one of the funkiest, most animated elevations to be found in the city. Just love it. A mid-century gem.

Maybe a lot of the dislike for this is because it's in Back Bay and refuses to curtsey to the old folks. You know, uppity.

From today. Still waiting for cladding besides windows.

img_0827.jpg

img_0828_2.jpg

img_0829_2.jpg

img_0830_2.jpg

Don't expect it anytime soon. Waaaaay behind is the rumor.

Maybe a lot of the dislike for this is because it's in Back Bay and refuses to curtsey to the old folks. You know, uppity.

I think so. Compared to the other postwar highrise--that '70s turd at Clarendon--this one is at least thoughtful and interesting. I don't love it by any means, but the only time I'm remotely bothered by it is when I see it from Memorial Drive, where it clearly is out of its element. Otherwise, it does no real harm to Beacon Street.

Wow! The windows look fantastic nearly complete. That will be a nice view inside come nighttime as well. Thanks for the photo.

Argh it would be so perfect if the spacing of the top and bottom panels matched the rest and if the bottom ones weren't opaque.

the opaque ones really don't bother me. the top one almost creates a sort of modernist cornice or entablature that defines the top of this section of the building.

From my walk today. Not much change.

I generally like the windows, but I do not like this discontinuity here:

I'm not feeling the base. The scale is right but the glass stands out too much. It's not interesting enough to be edgy.

I'm not feeling the base. The scale is right but the glass stands out too much. It's not interesting enough to be edgy.

I feel the same about the W. Maybe the same project architect? Maybe he is just not great at tall. Rawn is a good designer I am going to hold judgement.

cca

Unlike the MassArt tower that is engaging during the day and a dark bore at night, this building will be one that truly comes alive in the evening and at night. I really look forward to this glass box glowing and lighting up Mass Ave, seeing all the activities and people using the spaces inside the building. It will be a very voyeuristic building and really engage the pedestrians on the street.

Never believe rumors, especially on the internet.. but..

I heard the glazing subcontractor filed bankruptcy midway through installation, hence the frozen state of this facade.. Berklee/Lee Kennedy are having a hell of a time trying to find someone who will pick up where they left off, and maintain liability etc.

Back