Berklee Expansion Plans | Back Bay

Same as it ever was:

8555650731_78ba2095ae_b.jpg

I'm not feeling the base. The scale is right but the glass stands out too much. It's not interesting enough to be edgy.

I spoke with an architecture student from NU and she told me the base was designed by her and her class as a project. It's in her portfolio.

^
Never believe rumors, especially on the internet.. but..

I heard the glazing subcontractor filed bankruptcy midway through installation, hence the frozen state of this facade.. Berklee/Lee Kennedy are having a hell of a time trying to find someone who will pick up where they left off, and maintain liability etc.

The more days go by with this project at a standstill, the more this rumor seems likely.

Is there activity at the site? I'm assuming the purple and yellow are hiding an interior build out. If it gets super windy that seems like a risky proposition though.

One of the guys told me it's temporary. If you're close enough you can see it's only about 3 ft from the edge of the building. Presumably the dorm rooms (quick to finish) are on the exterior walls and bathrooms, stairs and elevators (longer construction times) are in the windowless interior so they kept working behind this. There are plenty of people coming to the site in the mornings I know that from my walks.

Many of the pink panels arrived over the weekend. A few are on trucks along Mass Ave and two are propped up in the alley closest to St. Cecilia's parish. Interested in how they will look installed.

Yeah, exactly. Those walls are way too close to the facade to be actual interior walls. It's important to keep moisture out when doing all the interior stuff.

Last edited:
download.php

If I'm not mistaken the grey massing in the center of the picture is a second proposed tower for Berklee. Does anyone know what the story of this building is?

download.php

If I'm not mistaken the grey massing in the center of the picture is a second proposed tower for Berklee. Does anyone know what the story of this building is?

I presume that the smaller grey tower in the Center [slightly lower] on the right is the under construction Berklee dorm

you are correct about that

Thought-so --- I'm begging to get worried on behalf of all the NIMBYs -- The area is getting so dense with towers that there are hardly any empty spaces left upon which for all the shadows to land -- :=>

Was the question related to the Berklee building at the corner of Mass Ave & Boylston St? In the photo, it's in front of the tallest of the three new buildings that were approved today.

No retail, just an opened up entry for Berklee's main building.

Back