Best Urban Shopping Area

Which are Boston's best urban shopping areas? Choose 3.

• Newbury Street

Votes: 36 80.0%
  • Harvard Square

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • Charles Street

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Quincy Market

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Downtown Crossing

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Hanover Street

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Copley Place/Prudential Mall

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • Coolidge Corner

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Boylston Street, Back Bay

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Harvard Street, Allston

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters
Ron didn't invoke Davis yet? That's curious!
Porter? Central?
All still have grocery stores?

By default, limited to the listed choices: Coolidge (lived there, gladly, during the early 80s); Harvard Street in Allston (spent a lot of time there since childhood because family lived there into the 90s); Harvard Square (despite not having a grocer?) because it's always been lively, from my recollection.

Many of the rest could be malls in the 'burbs for all I care.

What about the other, sometimes smaller, less touristy neighborhood commercial zones, some of which have been invoked by others here--Chinatown, Fields Corner, Mattapan Square, Roslindale Square, Central in JP? Cleveland Circle? Many of these are far more worthy and interesting than the Copley Place Mall.

Hanover Street would be on my list, too, because it was for the neighborhood, then developed into a tourist destination--not engineered as a tourist destination like Quincy Market or Copley (or the Pru?).

Newbury has changed from when I was kid, too. It was a mix of 'high(er)' end shopping and 'funky' for locals--often small, locally-owned establishments--as opposed to now, where it seems like a shopping magnet for tourists with money who can go to too many of these establishments in any city, anywhere in the world. Yawn.

Charles Street almost fits my criteria (still?) and could be a worthy choice.

It's probably all too different now; I haven't lived there since the 80s. Coolidge, Harvard Street, and I know Harvard Square have been infiltrated by more (too many?) chains.

However, understand that I don't disparage the chains, until they become a majority of businesses in a neighborhood.

Anything that seems catered to attracting tourists is suspect. Even 1976 to the present Quincy Market, which would be suspect, lost whatever made it unique within its first five years of re-invention. (Now, old Quincy Market--that was GRIT! However, I am not going to get into that side discussion again here.)

The Pru, Copley, and even Downtown Crossing are all destination 'malls' and, seemingly, not intended for residents. That's why Downtown Crossing has become a failure. Office workers treat it like the mall, which is fine for the daytime. However, they ignore it at night, along with the locals AND the tourists. (Plus, all the stupid gits quoted in the article recently posted about re-opening its traffic should give you a prime indication why it's a failure.) I suspect the Pru (no longer) and Copley do not suffer this fate.

I've had this argument here before. Shopping/retail is to serve the locals. If commerical businesses, of all types, become of interest to those outside the neighborhood, that's great, but shouldn't be its prime goal.

That's why I objected to something like Landsdowne Street as a primary destination for clubbing. These clubs should be scattered everywhere, not funneled into a zone. Theater 'district'--Bah! Again, entertainments should be scattered throughout the city. I don't have a problem with a concentration of a few establishments of a similar ilk, like the theatre district is, or was, when orchestrated intentionally, or not. However, that kind of planning in the present is idiotic.

Last edited:
Shopping/retail is to serve the locals.

But shopping zones like Downtown Crossing have had a citywide purpose since the 19th century. Seriously - there was no such thing as far-flung "neighborhood" retail until rapid transit made streetcar suburbia plausible - and long commutes made downtown shopping a chore. Even most of Back Bay was residential until the 20th century.

I would argue that Harvard Square hardly serves locals in the same way as, say, Centre St. in JP. It's sustained, during the day, by the Harvard workforce, and, at night, by students with high disposable incomes looking for meals. But most of the shopping is really once-in-a-while, niche stuff - not everyday purposes. It's ridiculous that one has to walk nearly a mile from it to find produce. I guess it helps that most of the "locals" are undergraduates with well-stocked dining halls.

That's why I objected to something like Landsdowne Street as a primary destination for clubbing. These clubs should be scattered everywhere, not funneled into a zone. Theater 'district'--Bah! Again, entertainments should be scattered throughout the city. I don't have a problem with a concentration of a few establishments of a similar ilk, like the theatre district is, or was, when orchestrated intentionally, or not. However, that kind of planning in the present is idiotic.

I agree up to a point. It really does help to sustain, say, Davis Square to have a music venue, more than it would if that venue were clustered somewhere downtown. But on the other hand, it would be nice to go somewhere really active in Boston at night - especially if that somewhere felt less contrived than Lansdowne. I've argued before that Downtown Crossing should be more like Istiklal Caddesi in Istanbul, which is both a major shopping and nightlife street.

There's a 24-hour grocery in the old Sage's space, at Brattle and Church streets.

Broadway Market is not in Harvard Square but it's a lot closer than a mile to it.

Ron:

That market in the old Sage's is being subsidized, to the best of my knowledge, at least on its rent, by Harvard. I do not know who operates the market but Harvard took over the lease on the space after Sprint or whatever phone company rented the 4,000 SF+ space for a very stupidly high rent in 2004 and then quickly vacated after realizing that you do not need 4,000 SF on a far off corner of Harvard Square to sell a phone that fits in your hand.

So while the market is great there is no way that the market could make it on its own, rent wise, without some sort of help from WGU. The market is nice, and much cleaner than Sage's was towards then end but from a somewhat free market view of development, the market is a loss leader. It improves the streetscape but makes that overall esscence of that corner far better.

It would be a great world if we all had a sugar daddy with a few billion (and they still have plenty o'billions) lying around to make everyone feel better about the neighborhood and make nice streetscapes but that isn't the real world.

So subsidies and Harvard's billions exist outside of the "real world"?

We're talking about the best urban shopping area in the Boston area. Why would the fortunate fact of Harvard's existence rule out the candidacy of Harvard Square?

Anyway, I saw that little market when I was at home in December. Seems like a great addition to the area. And it's 24hrs.

Edit: Perhaps the implication was that Harvard Square is unrepresentative, and therefore not useful as a model for improving/planning new shopping areas in places outside WGU's immediate influence. Either way, I don't see what is wrong with playing on Boston's unique strengths. Letting normal free market forces work tends to give us lifestyle centers in the suburbs. Which mechanism do you prefer?

Last edited:
^WGU's?
WTF? :p

I would argue that Harvard Square hardly serves locals in the same way as, say, Centre St. in JP. It's sustained, during the day, by the Harvard workforce, and, at night, by students with high disposable incomes looking for meals. But most of the shopping is really once-in-a-while, niche stuff - not everyday purposes. It's ridiculous that one has to walk nearly a mile from it to find produce. I guess it helps that most of the "locals" are undergraduates with well-stocked dining halls.

Wasn't always that way, though.

But shopping zones like Downtown Crossing have had a citywide purpose since the 19th century. Seriously - there was no such thing as far-flung "neighborhood" retail until rapid transit made streetcar suburbia plausible - and long commutes made downtown shopping a chore.
Even most of Back Bay was residential until the 20th century.

An old-world, agricultural, rural model, that was slow to change but forced to by rapidly expanding developments during the industrial revolution?

I agree up to a point. It really does help to sustain, say, Davis Square to have a music venue, more than it would if that venue were clustered somewhere downtown. But on the other hand, it would be nice to go somewhere really active in Boston at night - especially if that somewhere felt less contrived than Lansdowne. I've argued before that Downtown Crossing should be more like Istiklal Caddesi in Istanbul, which is both a major shopping and nightlife street.

As for the shopping issue, for starters, I should have clarified that I meant as a present day, auto culture model. (Additionally, that still shouldn't excuse this way of compartmentalizing things.)

Why should it be presented as or designed to be the only one?
Why should Downtown Crossing be THE destination?
Maybe if they had more residents IN the immediate area, that would help.
Time will tell, as the new student residences infuse some life. However, students shouldn't be the only life. (Meaning put the residential component BACK into the Filene's project and into every other project within blocks of this in the future.)

Why can't we have clubs in the Financial District again? Downtown Crossing? Fort Point? (Are there still clubs on Harvard St, Allston? Bunratty's?) I loathe the designed entertainment zone--having six different types of music venues lined up on a block, one for every taste, like an automat. Again, trying to engineer Lansdowne like a Disney adult entertainment zone in Orlando--eeech!

The city wasn't 'the city' then as we know it now, either. It was separate villages, towns, and other cities for a while until they were annexed, mostly within the last 150 years or so, and all had their own cluster of commerce and entertainment.

Ach! What am I trying to say? Too many topics to cover in one post without going into too much depth, and I don't want to ramble on anymore. *sigh* But I will.

I think about the small(ish) neighborhood dry goods store, of which there were many, which sufficed when the needs of the locals were less varied, or maybe the residents were more conservative and less demanding with their needs. We want everything available 24/7 and we have to have it NOW.

I dunno, again. What would be a better analogy...?

I think we may be overlooking some traditional model of a village center, which is what comprises most of these neighborhood and village shopping areas of Boston. Would they be more relevant as a product of an old world geographic model?

Sure, the concept of going downtown or into the city seems more of a post-industrial revolution kind of idea. I'm not well versed in this socio-anthropology.

People from the far-flung farmlands went into cities for different or similar concerns in 'the old days?' When and why did entertainment and commerce become separated like this? Yeah, streetcar burbs and the auto allowed the expansion and created the separation. I get that. Who thought this was a good idea? Was somebody such a futurist that they saw the advent of the automobile and easy transportation for a day's entertainment from the far-flung places or did it happen organically?

It killed the traveling salesman, vaudeville tours, and sucked the life and the diversity out of what happens in those far-flung locales by convincing everyone that the only way to find worthy entertainment was to come to 'The City.' The excitement of the advance publicity about some big new production whether it was filmed or live, will no longer come near or to you; You come to it.

For a while, it seems that traveling into the nearest big city to the event for the day became the entertainment as much as it was about the event you were attending. Also, instead of enjoying the event for what it was, it had become all about the rest of the environment surrounding the event. (Hey, I am guilty of functioning like this, too. Not criticizing; just observing.)

I am all over the place. I'm done with this. I'm gonna shut up now.

Last edited:
I did forget about that little market on Brattle and Church...but let's not kid ourselves. This is not a supermarket...it's a fluffily upscale corner store with some ready to eat stuff. Most of the same types of products I can get at the nearby CVS and 711 for less...and most of their stock (which is heavily gourmet) was already available at Cardullo's. I still have to trek to Shaw's at Porter or the virtually inaccessible Star on Beacon St. in Somerville for the kind of shopping available to most suburbanites. Let's not even talk about why the two Whole Foods and one Trader Joe's in Cambridge are located well away from transit stops.

As for Harvard subsidies...direct or otherwise, the entirety of Harvard Square is subsidized by the fact of the university's existence there.

Wait a sec. The two Whole Foods you speak of are the Fresh Pond one and the River St one, right? I just googled and apparently there is a third Whole Foods on Prospect, just north of Central. Can anyone confirm whether this is up to date?

Yeah, there's one on Prospect north of Central, but it's still an annoying walk from the square - and, for Harvard Sq. area residents, no better than hopping on the T to Shaw's in Porter.

If you were told to sort the ten shopping areas above into just two meaningful categories, you could divide them into regional shopping areas and neighborhood shopping areas (None of these is 100% pure, however).

Thus you could say Newbury St, Harvard Sq, Copley Place, Quincy Market, Downtown Crossing and Boylston Street serve primarily a wider clientele than is provided by the immediate neighborhood, while the other four can be seen as neighborhood Main Streets. Poll responders have so far voted for the former category over the latter by a margin of 38 to 8.

I'm not sure I agree with the concept of this thread. Wouldn't the best urban shopping area be the shopping area that serves it's urban community the best? It seems to me that the question of this poll is really, "What is your favorite shopping area that just happens to be in the city?" What I'm getting at is that Hanover St., Charles St., Newbury St., etc. don't really "serve" their communities. In fact, they "serve" tourists and people coming in from out of town who want to go to high end boutiques a few times a year. In outlining the poll, Ablarc throws the Galleria out, but as a North End resident I have to say... the Galleria serves my every day shopping needs WAAAY better than Hanover St. does (outside of the White Hen and the package store which no one was probably counting anyway).

The Galleria has a lot of very useful stores. Would I prefer that the stores were all along some sort of "Main Street" and not in a mall? Yes.

It seems to me that the question of this poll is really, "What is your favorite shopping area that just happens to be in the city?"
Good point.

Moderator ?

Last edited:
The answer to that may depend on the weather.

I'm not so sure. If the Galleria were on a transit stop, I might be more sympathetic. But like the notoriously inaccessible Kendall Square cinema, it's oddly more friendly to drivers than pedestrians, even those who live in that part of Cambridge.

Concentrating stores on 2-3 levels also means they are not spread out to the point that at least some of them would be more convenient to residents several blocks away.

I think I would be much happier if all these stores were in Kendall Square proper. It would be worth losing the roof.

Back