Biking in Boston

Impressive!

Sadly, another person has died. This time in Newton. Not sure of the details but he wasn't wearing a helmet and he ran a red light. I feel badly but when are people going to realize they need to wear helmets? Maybe it wouldn't have saved this guy (as to why he was running a light in the first place, I can only assume that he must not have seen it). Same for the guy on Huntington last month - no helmet. I was biking a few weeks ago and I saw a dad out with his two kids, one in a co-pilot seat, the other on her own bike. They were, pursuant to Ontario law, wearing helmets, but the dad wasn't (as he's not legally required to). But as I sit there and see this, I think, "So what happens if this guy falls and cracks his head open? Now he's got two kids who won't know what to do and he could potentially be leaving them without a father, should the worst come to pass." I just don't understand people's aversion to helmets. No, they won't save you every time, but it just makes sense.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/newton/2010/05/bicyclist_killed_in_collision.html

If only lanes were taken away for the Green Line.... *cough*A Line, E Line, "F" Line*cough*

Helmets are cool, guys. All we need is for hipsters to start wearing them ironically, and I swear, cyclist deaths would all but disappear.

I respect people who don't wear helmets more than people who wear them but DON'T CLIP THEM IN PLACE. Seriously, every time I see one of those genetic dead ends I want to clothes line them.

If only lanes were taken away for the Green Line.... *cough*A Line, E Line, "F" Line*cough*

Yeah but the difference is that taking a lane away from cars still allows emergency vehicles to use them unobstructed (or ass holes to double park).

I'm a bit confused about the Beacon St. lane. It's described as both inbound and eastbound, but isn't Beacon one way and Westerly?

I noticed that too - I think someone confused two different sections of the street. The lanes appear to be both westbound towards Kenmore through the Back Bay and eastbound towards Kemore from Audobon Circle

Boston has stepped its bike game up. Near me in North Allston there are allways bikers on Western and N Harvard. Actually I was at that intersection the other day and over heard one biker complaining to the other that he just lost his bike seat and dosn't know how he's going to switch gears. I laughed.

The only way that makes sense is if the bike has downtube shifters. There's no safe way to shift those while riding outside of a properly seated position.

Yea I'm not sure, I just think other people potentially being violated by a lack of bike seat a funny senario.

Boston Globe

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/05/boston_announce_1.html

Boston and state officials have announced plans to install bike lanes on Massachusetts Avenue, a key downtown artery, from Boston Medical Center to Symphony Hall.

The five-foot-wide lanes will be added as part of an $18 million reconstruction of the avenue, the mayor's office said The project will be 80 percent federally-funded and 20 percent state-funded. Plans call for it to be completed by fall 2011.

"This is a big win for Boston's biking community," Mayor Thomas M. Menino said in a statement. "Massachusetts Avenue is one of the busiest and most heavily traveled streets in our city and this project provides an opportunity to accommodate all modes of transportation without compromising safety."

The new bike lanes were announced at the Boston Bike Festival, the final event of the first statewide bike week.

The bike lanes were also supported by Governor Deval Patrick. "The Governor is proud of the swift action and positive solution we celebrated today," said Massachusetts Department of Transportation spokesman Colin Durrant.

People today joined convoys of bikers in Boston and various close-in suburbs and were guided in convoys into the downtown, where they were treated to the festival on City Hall Plaza, which included a free breakfast and various other freebies.

Comment Permalink E-mail Yahoo! Buzz

They also announced that they want to add bike lanes to Mass. Ave. from Symphony to the Charles River (a section of the street that is not being reconstructed).

Where is this video from? The link does not go to YouTube so there is no description.

The google maps update means we can see the new comm ave bike lanes, sharrows and bike boxes, and the new beacon street bike lanes.

Was:
bikelanes2.jpg

Is:
bikelanes1.jpg

I don't like all the spring/summer satellite updates they're doing lately... The trees make it harder to see the area, IMO... :(

Any word on what's going on with Bixi? It seems it was announced a year ago with fanfare and there's been nothing since. Given that other cities announced their plans for bike sharing implementation after Boston and have already introduced it - or have a firm, planned start date - is this another good idea that is DOA?

I just finished a long-distance bike ride for a charitable organization that ended in Montr?al and was really impressed at how Bixi ridership had visibly increased over last Summer.

Back