Biking in Boston

A bike lane on East Berkeley is on the city's 5-year bike network plan from 4th and Broadway all the way through to Tremont.

As far as I can tell the the bike network plan is unfunded and projects are implemented as targets of opportunity as other street work comes up. There are no construction plans, goals, etc. associated with the bike plan so who knows when/if the East Berkeley lane will actually be installed. Getting in touch with your city councilor would help if you live in the district.

Also try the neighborhood liaison from the Mayor's Office - with Boston Bikes stuck in the Transportation Dept, a push from the Mayor's Office might get it noticed.

I've ridden that segment and agree with you completely.

Unless it's part of the 18 miles of new bike lanes being installed this fall that Gina Fiandaca mentioned at the City Hall hearing, I wouldn't expect striping to be done before spring even with a push from the Mayor; it's getting too cold for thermoplastic and it will be too cold for paint in a month or so. Last November, the bike lanes on Washington St in Rozzie were repainted and a fair amount of those pretty lane markings were scraped away in the very first snow storm we had in December.

Quick question for anyone who is more experienced in soliciting the city for streetscape amenities...

I would like to see a bike lane be installed on East Berkeley Street with primary focus on the block between Shawmut Ave and Tremont St, but ideally starting at Washington St.

The current layout encourages fast vehicular movement and doesn't leave a lot of room for cyclists as motorists don't change lanes to pass cyclists as asked on streets that have at leas received "sharrow" treatments.

I've had several close calls on that particular stretch, culminating yesterday when I was finally struck by a motorist. This thoroughfare is critical to all modes of transportation; carving out a designated space for cyclists would be a huge safety improvement.

I submitted a request via Boston 311 (tracking number 101001615536), but I would like it to gain additional traction.

Any other avenues someone could suggest?

I've heard that the problem with E Berkeley is the parking. How can you stripe a bike lane or add sharrows when the left and right lanes allow parking off peak? I went to a neighborhood meeting a few months back and there wasn't much support for changing the parking regulations. Honestly that parking causes safety issues for cars in addition to bikes. Too many unexpected merges.

I've heard that the problem with E Berkeley is the parking. How can you stripe a bike lane or add sharrows when the left and right lanes allow parking off peak? I went to a neighborhood meeting a few months back and there wasn't much support for changing the parking regulations. Honestly that parking causes safety issues for cars in addition to bikes. Too many unexpected merges.

I'm approaching this from a traffic calming angle. I agree that a road diet for bike lanes would face a lot of opposition in the segment from Harrison to Washington St. Parking regulations in the area actually create a bit of a bottleneck, slowing traffic down which I normally find is safer to cycle in versus the full speed rapid lane change conditions meet a few blocks down.

The specific stretch I would like a designated space to be created for a bikes is amongst the parkway/highway-like conditions between Shawmut and Tremont. There is no parking permitted at any time there, just three somewhat wide travel lanes for traffic. I don't think it would be too challenging to establish there, with secondary desire for the short block between Washington and Shawmut; it always feels like people really hit the accelerator as soon as they cross Washington.

The specific stretch I would like a designated space to be created for a bikes is amongst the parkway/highway-like conditions between Shawmut and Tremont. There is no parking permitted at any time there, just three somewhat wide travel lanes for traffic. I don't think it would be too challenging to establish there, with secondary desire for the short block between Washington and Shawmut; it always feels like people really hit the accelerator as soon as they cross Washington.

It's a 34ft cross section (three 11ish lanes). Not enough space to squeeze in a bike lane. I guess they could paint sharrows, but honestly I think they're just a cop-out.

Sounds like the perfect place for a separated bike lane. Since it's only fed by one (or sometimes two depending on time of day) travel lanes further south, there's really no need for three travel lanes in that section.

I'm not entirely sure I fully understand the scope of this project, but I thought it bore mentioning:

https://twitter.com/StreetsBoston/status/656462832133906432

More info here

But that's from an advocacy foundation, so I'm not sure how much of their vision is being implemented.

I'm not sure if this is being fully implemented, but if it is, this is a huge and very important project. It essentially closes the biggest gap in the Charles River Bike Path. Let's admit it, what's there now is not a "bike path." It is, at best, a dirt shoulder on a highway.

From last year:

Diverging opinions on lane-reduction proposal

Some see wider river walkway as safer, others fear traffic toll

A $1.3 million proposal to renovate a 1-mile strip of Charles River walkways and green space along Greenough Boulevard in Watertown and Cambridge has drawn praise from joggers and cyclists, but also criticism from residents worried about traffic.

The proposal calls for narrowing Greenough Boulevard’s four vehicle lanes to two in most areas between the Eliot Bridge in Cambridge and Arsenal Street in Watertown, using the extra space to widen the 7-foot walkways to 10 feet, build a green-space buffer between traffic and pedestrians, and add pocket parks along the route. The plans also call for paring back some vegetation to improve views of the Charles, and upgrading storm-water drainage so roadway pollutants no longer run into the river.

Though traffic analysts studying the proposal say the effect on traffic would be minimal, anticipating that the most congestion would be seen on the eastbound side during the morning rush hours, some local residents said backups would be unavoidable.

If completed, this would be the biggest step we've seen in the Boston area of an overbuilt 20th century road turned into traffic-calmed, complete street.

Greenough absolutely needs to be downgraded. Good planning.

Re: Longfellow Bridge update

I want to see the day when MassDOT says "car access will be maintained" and "walk your cars on the sidewalk." Clearly, bikes are at the bottom of the totem pole.

CDEN-- remember the "Golden Rule" -- i.e. He who has the gold rules -- which for the matter of priority amongst bikes and cars --- When non-car-owning-bikers start paying for their use of roads and bridges then unicorns will join pigs as sky-pilots

Bikes don't need a paved road with wide ROW like a car they put minimal stress on roads that amounts to essentially nothing more than walking I don't see why they should pay when they don't cause serious wear and tear.

CDEN-- remember the "Golden Rule" -- i.e. He who has the gold rules -- which for the matter of priority amongst bikes and cars --- When non-car-owning-bikers start paying for their use of roads and bridges then unicorns will join pigs as sky-pilots

Jesus Christ, Whighlander, how many times do we have to go over this? "Non-car-owning-bikers" do pay for their use of roads and bridges through their income, property, and sales taxes. Fuel tax, tolls, and excise tax only cover a fraction of the cost of road construction and maintenance. This has been shown over and over again. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with this arrangement -- roads are public goods after all and transit also receives money from general funds -- but it's not at all accurate to say that bikers don't pay for their use of the road.

Explain to me how I don't pay for my use of roads?

Bikes don't need a paved road with wide ROW like a car they put minimal stress on roads that amounts to essentially nothing more than walking I don't see why they should pay when they don't cause serious wear and tear.

city -- come-on we are not talking Xtreme BMX -- when you mention bikes you are talking about city bikes being ridden on the same pavement as the Uber drivers use -- or perhaps taking some of the lanes away from the Zipcar user

when was the last time you saw a bike pushing a snow plow or vacuuming-up leaves or fixing a pothole

It's not the point, but for a little levity, we can all now say we've seen a bike pushing a snow plow:

EDIT: "human/pedal powered vehicle"

Bike Pushing Snow Plow

Jesus Christ, Whighlander, how many times do we have to go over this? "Non-car-owning-bikers" do pay for their use of roads and bridges through their income, property, and sales taxes. Fuel tax, tolls, and excise tax only cover a fraction of the cost of road construction and maintenance. This has been shown over and over again. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with this arrangement -- roads are public goods after all and transit also receives money from general funds -- but it's not at all accurate to say that bikers don't pay for their use of the road.

Jumbo obviously you are not familiar with the old joke about the former Stop and Shop [now the [MicroCenter] on Mem Drive*1

I've never denied that gasoline taxes and other direct user fees such as Turnpike Tolls and Truck weight fees don't cover the full cost of [sum of everything you can lump in] for highways, super highways, roads, country lanes and even logging roads in the National Forests

What I've argued is that there are:
  • many more taxpayers who drive but don't {use the T, and / or bike} although some walk]
  • than taxpayers who don't drive but {use the T and / or bike and / or walk}
  • let alone that there are non-taxpayers [including gasoline taxes] who use the T or bike, etc.
  • and of course the X-treme case of non-taxpayers who use no infrastructure directly

what the above translates into is that there is a net transfer which benefits bike riders and pedestrians -- that is all

Note I've not even said that it is wrong -- just making the point about the money flow

*1 A student showed up at the "10 items or less lane Quick Check-out Lane" with a cart full and overflowing -- the cashier said

"Let me guess you are from MIT and Can't Read or Harvard and Can't Count"

Jumbo obviously you are not familiar with the old joke about the former Stop and Shop [now the [MicroCenter] on Mem Drive*1

I've never denied that gasoline taxes and other direct user fees such as Turnpike Tolls and Truck weight fees don't cover the full cost of [sum of everything you can lump in] for highways, super highways, roads, country lanes and even logging roads in the National Forests

What I've argued is that there are:
  • many more taxpayers who drive but don't {use the T, and / or bike} although some walk]
  • than taxpayers who don't drive but {use the T and / or bike and / or walk}
  • let alone that there are non-taxpayers [including gasoline taxes] who use the T or bike, etc.
  • and of course the X-treme case of non-taxpayers who use no infrastructure directly

what the above translates into is that there is a net transfer which benefits bike riders and pedestrians -- that is all

Note I've not even said that it is wrong -- just making the point about the money flow

*1 A student showed up at the "10 items or less lane Quick Check-out Lane" with a cart full and overflowing -- the cashier said

"Let me guess you are from MIT and Can't Read or Harvard and Can't Count"

There is so much more to this question than simply the percentage of the population that "only drives" or "only bikes". You need to take into account the relative prices of maintaining infrastructure for these multiple types of transportation and compare that to the share of the cost between various types of commuters. I would suggest that you just read this report, but I know that you probably won't.

First off, hardly anybody "only drives" or "only walks/bikes", but assume for simplicity's sake that 90% of workers "only drive" and 10% "only walk/bike" (this is a reasonable, and conservative for Boston, assumption). Also assume that driver user fees account for 50% of the cost of roads, and that the balance is paid by general funds (again, a reasonable assumption). It's important to note that road use fees charged to commercial, government, and for-hire vehicles are priced into their services rendered and ultimately paid for by their customers, so "only walks/bikes" customers do contribute to road user fees thorough their purchases and taxes. Under these assumptions, drivers would pay for 95% of road infrastructure and walkers/bikers would pay for 5%.

Walkers/bikers should thus have 5% of the road for themselves, no? They don't, and it's not even close. Even in San Francisco, which is just about as bike friendly as you can get, only 1% of paved road space is transit-only and 1.4% is bicycle-only. Hardly 5%. The rule of thumb used to calculate wear-and-tear on road surfaces is that "the damage a vehicle imposes... increases to the fourth power of axle weight". Thus, a 200-pound cyclist on a 50-bound bike causes 1/21,000th the roadway damage of a (light) 3,000 pound car. That's nowhere close to 5%. As far as area and congestion, a stationary cyclist takes up 1/20th the space of a parked car and 1/100th the space of a car traveling at 60 mph. Again, not quite 5%.

This completely ignores the relative externalities that driving and walking/biking impose on society (pollution, noise, injuries and fatalities, energy security issues, etc.). No matter how you look at this, the indirect costs of driving are WAY higher that those of walking/biking.

I could go on, but I think I've made my point. It is true that there are way more drivers than walkers/bikers, and it is true that drivers pay way more for roads than walkers/bikers do. But it also true that drivers use and damage roads at a rate far larger than their already-large share of the cost.

The tired claim that walkers and bikers "don't pay for their use of the roads" is clearly false, and if you care at all about objectivity and intellectual honesty then you should really stop repeating it.

[Sorry to keep this off-topic tangent going; maybe a moderator can move these last few posts to a more relevant thread]

*and one more thing, whighlander, I'm an economist by training and practice. We understand both words and numbers...

MicDropCranston.gif

when was the last time you saw a bike pushing a snow plow or vacuuming-up leaves or fixing a pothole

I think it was right around the last time I saw a car doing any of those things.

Back