Biking in Boston

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the new state law for 2023, with the best two parts being:
1)Cars must give at least 4' when passing bikes or pedestrians, and may cross the centerline if required to give that clearance
2)Bikes must have red rear light (presumably after dark)

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
Gotta say, it was a fast, secure, and lovely bike ride today from West Medford, via Alewife Brook Path (Somerville), Mass Ave through Harvard Sq, Memorial Drive to BU bridge and thence to Longwood (and back). Faster than transit (remind me that "micromobility" should be in this thread title) and near-all of it was either on a path or in a bike lane. Well done, metro Boston.

But: who is in charge of storm grates on the BU Bridge? (MassDOT? DCR?) A huge number of them are fully silted up and I'd worry that they'll ice the bike lanes on the BU Bridge?

Last edited:

as02143

Reaction score
Gotta say, it was a fast, secure, and lovely bike ride today from West Medford, via Alewife Brook Path (Somerville), Mass Ave through Harvard Sq, Memorial Drive to BU bridge and thence to Longwood (and back). Faster than transit (remind me that "micromobility" should be in this thread title) and near-all of it was either on a path or in a bike lane. Well done, metro Boston.

But: who is in charge of storm grates on the BU Bridge? (MassDOT? DCR?) A huge number of them are fully silted up and I'd worry that they'll ice the bike lanes on the BU Bridge?
It seems like it should be DOT according to the MassDOT Open Data portal: https://geo-massdot.opendata.arcgis...0/explore?location=42.352630,-71.110641,18.47

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
I have Jury Duty, 8am Monday at the Moakley Courthouse in the seaport.
Anyone know how good/safe their bike facilities are?

#bancars

Reaction score
I have Jury Duty, 8am Monday at the Moakley Courthouse in the seaport.
Anyone know how good/safe their bike facilities are?
You'll probably find plenty of racks in the area but personally I'd probably BlueBike.

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
After the trial, the Judge asked jurors if there was anything the Court could do better to improve the jury’s comfort & effectiveness. I suggested that the court include help for those biking to court.

Judge himself is an avid (year round / snow tires) cyclist and knew that secure bike parking is available in the Seaport Garage (which is where the court encourages and validates parking for jurors who drive).

He said he would work to include the availablity of bike parking on the Court’s website (this is the Federal US District Court in the Seaport and the public parks their cars across the street)

Nice.

Last edited:

ceo

Reaction score
I don't know why it didn't even occur to me to tell you about the secure bike room in the garage; I used it all the time when I worked in one of those buildings. Though it wouldn't have helped you much since I've forgotten the code (and they've probably changed it).

HenryAlan

Reaction score
I don't know why it didn't even occur to me to tell you about the secure bike room in the garage; I used it all the time when I worked in one of those buildings. Though it wouldn't have helped you much since I've forgotten the code (and they've probably changed it).
What we really need is a map of all the secure bike facilities. I think there are a lot of them in garages around the city, but for the most part, there is little to no information for somebody who wants to find it. In 2021, my wife was hospitalized for a few weeks, and I biked to Beth Israel every day to visit her. But the only reason it even occurred to me to bike, is that I had noticed the bike lock up on one of the early visits.

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
What we really need is a map of all the secure bike facilities. I think there are a lot of them in garages around the city, but for the most part, there is little to no information for somebody who wants to find it. In 2021, my wife was hospitalized for a few weeks, and I biked to Beth Israel every day to visit her. But the only reason it even occurred to me to bike, is that I had noticed the bike lock up on one of the early visits.
Wait, BIDMC has secure lockups for visitors? I bike to Shapiro Clinical and always lock up on the Longwood Ave plaza (outside the window of a ground floor office it seems "looked after") Is There a place where patients/visitors can have access to an actual cage? (the ones in the garage off Binney St have an "employee only" vibe)

HenryAlan

Reaction score
Wait, BIDMC has secure lockups for visitors? I bike to Shapiro Clinical and always lock up on the Longwood Ave plaza (outside the window of a ground floor office it seems "looked after") Is There a place where patients/visitors can have access to an actual cage? (the ones in the garage off Binney St have an "employee only" vibe)
It's not a cage, but it's in the Feldberg garage, near the entrance. I consider it fairly secure, because it is heavily used and visible to security staff. Nevertheless, I always recommend using multiple locks to completely secure a bike, and advocate for having your bike not be the most expensive looking bike in the parking area.