Biking in Boston

Its not formal-formal yet, and the middle of the bridge is missing, but it was presented in the MassDOT highway report yesterday: the highlights are buffered bike lanes for the bulk of the bridge, with some pinching at the Boston end to accommodate turn and bus lanes. the buffered lanes look somewhat narrower than the coned ones which currently occupy a full traffic lane, though not at the message boards, to accommodate those bus lane(s?), but overall I have no objections to what's shown. Apparently we should expect implementation to start next month!

View attachment 29789View attachment 29790

These look pretty good. I'm really not concerned with the lane being narrower on the bridge with a buffer - as long as there is enough room to pass other bikers. However I do think leaving the NB bike lane on the boston side unprotected was a missed opportunity. If they are going to restripe this street anyway, there needs to be either some separation or traffic calming there as NB cars often speed in excess of 40mph to get through the beacon st light onto the bridge. Hopefully this is just an early design and they plan to install flex posts or something. Safe biking infrastructure on the bridge is less useful if less experienced riders can't get to the bridge safely.

Just walked down Cambridge street in Beacon Hill and noticed the EB lane from city hall has a new bike lane. I took a few pictures but the link below has some more information.

E48F7B47-A717-4F9E-9797-019D4F7C1126.jpeg
B7548092-4D10-4580-9227-D62499E122E6.jpeg

https://mass.streetsblog.org/2022/1...ons-new-cambridge-street-protected-bike-lane/

Just walked down Cambridge street in Beacon Hill and noticed the EB lane from city hall has a new bike lane. I took a few pictures but the link below has some more information.

View attachment 29843View attachment 29842

https://mass.streetsblog.org/2022/1...ons-new-cambridge-street-protected-bike-lane/

This lane fortunately looks pretty wide that it looks like it could potentially hold 2-way traffic. If the ROW width is really so constrained in the EB direction that they can't fit a real bike lane, it seems pretty cheap to put down a yellow dotted centerline in this bike lane and add some bike signals so cyclists can see when they have a green coming from the opposite direction.

Those look great. Does anyone know if they relocated the EV chargers to another area? I'm happy for the new bike lanes, but I don't love the idea of the city scaling back EV charging capacity.

*edit* Feels like this section of Cambridge St. could benefit from a treatment similar to what Staniford received - remove/replace the median with a double yellow and create a physically separated multi-directional bike lane.

Last edited:
00E8B760-4257-4A04-BC5F-265B7C689CBD.jpeg

I’m confused by this image — I’ve heard nothing other than seeing this image that the path now plans to hug the commuter rail in this fashion. (and I didn’t go the meeting). I think if the bike path does stick with the tracks that’s vastly better than putting a bike path thru the arboretum. However, it’s extraordinarily unlikely this will get funds as such a design would be way more expensive. Is this just some artists render and it’s totally off, or has the design been changed?

View attachment 30152
I’m confused by this image — I’ve heard nothing other than seeing this image that the path now plans to hug the commuter rail in this fashion. (and I didn’t go the meeting). I think if the bike path does stick with the tracks that’s vastly better than putting a bike path thru the arboretum. However, it’s extraordinarily unlikely this will get funds as such a design would be way more expensive. Is this just some artists render and it’s totally off, or has the design been changed?
According to the storymap put out by Harvard, theres an elevated segment (South Street Connector) but the majority of the project would be at grade. That segment does look pretty good though, as it winds around the trees.
Screenshot_20221031_111621.jpg

Screenshot_20221031_111707.jpg

According to the storymap put out by Harvard, theres an elevated segment (South Street Connector) but the majority of the project would be at grade. That segment does look pretty good though, as it winds around the trees.
View attachment 30153
View attachment 30154
That looks awesome, but I wish they would instead of that, have the path hug the commuter rail until right before south st, then zip down the embankment and instead of the elevated path shown above, they could just have the path at that point running next to south st. above the wall.

Finally, some progress on the Carlton Street bridge restoration (on the D-Line between Fenway and Longwood stations).View attachment 30112

Re-posting this here.

This is a great project and is truly transformational. For those who may not travel by bicycle/micromobility vehicle through here, I'll share my perspective as a would-be user:

I live in JP and frequently bicycle through this area for transportation. For a connection between the Charles River Bike Path and the Emerald Necklace, this footbridge will allow cyclists (and other microbolity vehicle users) to skip Park Drive and Mountfort Street in favor of the safer, lower-stress Carlton Street footbridge and Carlton Street.

That looks awesome, but I wish they would instead of that, have the path hug the commuter rail until right before south st, then zip down the embankment and instead of the elevated path shown above, they could just have the path at that point running next to south st. above the wall.
I think the issue with the approach you've described, is that the slope is too steep for ADA purposes. This version, with the elevating walkway, also solves the tricky South St. crossing problem, which is pretty unsafe for anybody with mobility issues. Agree that it will be more expensive, but if it is to indeed be an all purpose pedestrian and wheeled mobility route, then this is probably the only way to do that. Personally, I'm going to love the elevated section -- it will be akin to biking through the tree canopy.

City of Cambridge announced cycling improvement projects on Hampshire Street and Main Street:

The Hampshire St. project has its own website, which notes Nov 7th and Nov 15th community engagements:

These are initially "quick builds" but it seems this trial and community process could lead to permanent construction, so those interested should consider submitting feedback

City of Cambridge announced cycling improvement projects on Hampshire Street and Main Street:

The Hampshire St. project has its own website, which notes Nov 7th and Nov 15th community engagements:

These are initially "quick builds" but it seems this trial and community process could lead to permanent construction, so those interested should consider submitting feedback

Love how quickly cambridge is moving on these. Have to think that Broadway is next. If the NIMBY's businesses don't do their part then we might actually have something resembling a connected quality cycling network.

Just drove to Arlington last night to drop off a friend after dinner in Harvard, Cambridge also reconfigured Garden St for bike lanes it looked like. Electronic signs saying new traffic pattern. But it was a one way Garden St. Couldn't take Garden outbound anymore to get to Rindge Ave. That's just wild, but, i guess that's what you should expect from the People's Republic.

Love how quickly cambridge is moving on these. Have to think that Broadway is next. If the NIMBY's businesses don't do their part then we might actually have something resembling a connected quality cycling network.
Living across the river, but riding through this section of Cambridge fairly often, I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at your statement. Seems like Cambridge is already so far ahead of Boston on something resembling a connected quality cycling network, I can't help but be jealous.

Living across the river, but riding through this section of Cambridge fairly often, I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at your statement. Seems like Cambridge is already so far ahead of Boston on something resembling a connected quality cycling network, I can't help but be jealous.

I moved from Boston to Cambridge this year, and even though I pay more in rent it is worth it. The pedestrian/cycling experience is so much better than even the best parts of Boston.

Wow, this is almost nostalgic for me. I feel like Hampshire was one of the OG bike lanes, at least when I started biking in the area back in 04. Can't believe it's taken so long to get a second look.

That being said, the document says Hampshire gets 513 drivers/hour, but 719 cyclists/hour? I know it's a super cyclist-heavy route, but that really surprises me.

I wouldn't have guessed that, but in retrospect it makes some sense. Both because of how much more capacity there is for bicycles, and because the route is straight shot into both Kendall Square and Boston from the northwest suburbs (that I used to commute to work in both places for 20 years). Knowing that there are lots of other bikes on the route tells you that drivers will be used to seeing them and increases confidence, which would be a positive feedback loop for more cyclists.

The last round of changes to Beacon/Hampshire didn't excite me, as I was comfortable with even the original setup and found some aspects of the changes to not be an improvement, but I do believe that making it clear that it's a known and encouraged path for bicycles is a positive.

StreetsBlog write-up on the Hampshire Street redesign. Author is reporting on the Nov 7th community meeting:

A couple of interesting tidbits:
Hampshire Street ranks as one of the region’s busiest bike-commuting corridors: according to pre-pandemic traffic counts from the City of Cambridge data, nearly half of the people traveling on Hampshire Street during rush hours are riding bikes, one-third are riding in cars, and the remainder are transit riders.
The city’s updated Cambridge Cycling Safety Ordinance specifies Hampshire Street as one of four protected bike routes that must be in place by April 30, 2026 (the other three are Cambridge St. between Inman Square and Lechmere, Broadway between Harvard and Hampshire St., and Garden Street between Huron Ave. and Cambridge Common – a project that’s being installed this month).

This is a super welcome change that can't come soon enough. I've always felt the seaport was perfect for a dedicated, connected network of bikeways (roads are relatively congested, road ROW's are fairly wide so there is room to build a bikeway and preserve parking, the terrain is perfectly flat, and the transit is slow - no train service). Travel lanes on Congress st were already unnecessarily wide so this achieves both traffic calming and giving bikes their own space.

We still have the Summer St bridge bike lanes though (doesn't connect to Boston Wharf Rd below) - which go from a nice protected bike lane then spit you onto a 4-lane stroad.

1669821146544.png

Back