Biking in Boston

Re: Best New Development of 2011

OK so i know this all belongs on the biking in boston thread, but i can't help myself.

Your complaints about bikers are that they:

1. Sometimes weave through traffic
2. Sometimes flip somebody off
3. Sometimes run red lights
4. Sometimes don't travel at the speed limit

Should be obvious that drivers do all those things too, right?

So what you're saying is bikes have no place in the modern world.....too slow for cars, too fast for pedestrians, too much of nuisance for all. Got it.

Actually... yes. This was a succinct description of my general feeling.

I don't think anyone's posted it yet, but some Hubway stations have been put back out as of yesterday. Full relaunch is expected March 1st.

So you ride a bike? Funny, I've always pictured you driving a BMW or other Ayn Rand-approved cars.

Awesome.

(though strictly adhering to his claim, being an asshole merely puts one in the sphere of potential bike riders. it's still quite possible to be an asshole and drive a Randmobile)

Actually... yes. This was a succinct description of my general feeling.

DZ -- No what is missing is some knowledge of the basic physics of collisions by those hair-brained bikers

There's something called Newton's Laws also known as conservation of momentum that governs the classical universe and is utterly unforgiving

how much each of you weigh (actually your inertial mass) and how fast each of you are going determines what happens after the collision -- but this applies to both objects collectively. Note that he moving objects also carry energy of motion (kinetic energy proportional to the square of its speed) but this is not necessarily conserved.

After the collision the two bodies move off as given by the conservation of momentum carrying away a lot of the energy -- but unless both of the objects are resilient such as a bat and a ball -- the rest of the energy ends up either as heat, or the tearing and disruption of shape the softer body.

Now what happens to each object in the collision depends on your mass, speed and what your connstruction

If you are a pedestrian and bump another one going the same or other way on a sidewalk -- generally no big deal -- as most people are about the same in mass and speed of motion within a factor of two and most people are fairly soft deformable objects

if you are a pedestrian and are hit by a bike -- while the masses are approximately equal, the bike is typically moving 3 to 5 times faster and is quite rigid and hence the whole collection will continue to move in the same direction as the bike was going -- this is not good for the pedestrian who will experience a large amount of acceleration and some amount of deformation

Now you are a pedestrian or a biker hit by a car -- here the masses are unequal by factors of 10 or more and the velocity also favors the car by factors of 2 to 10 and the car can be considered a rigid body -- this real bad for the person / bike and nearly insignificant from the perspective of the car -- even a glancing blow can launch the person / bike in the direction the car was going and do serious damage to the person as a lot of energy can be dissipated in your body

Thus while the rules of the road are important for cars and cars -- they are really important for cars and people, or cars and bikes

if you as a biker or a pedestrian don't believe the above try a simple experiment with a couple of balls with about 10 to 1 masses -- say a golf or tennis ball and a ping pong ball -- remember you are the ping pong ball -- except that you don't bounce as well

Moral of the story -- if bikes really obeyed traffic laws as required of motor vehicles there would be a lot fewer complaints and also a lot fewer tragedies

Made a quick map the other day in the process of more interesting things. The ideal bike routes—according to Google—between each Hubway station and every other Hubway station as they existed in the fall (neglected to mark them on the map):

allhubways.jpg

I really like that. Great map of coverage in an unconventional way.

That's awesome. It would be nice to see a simple map like that of available bike lanes in the same area (maybe including a little more of Cambridge and Somerville).

Very cool, nice work. Looks like we already have a decent web going! Can't wait to see how things look after this years expansions.

Thanks, folks. By the way, that map is based on 57 stations, which are what exist in the three days of October data released for this contest. Weren't there supposed to be a few more stations (60 or so)? Does anybody know offhand if there were a few that never happened in the fall, or else were installed after Columbus Day?

czsz, it would indeed be interesting to see all that in relation to bike lanes and such. One thing I can say right now is that Google's bike routing seems to strongly favor bike paths and lanes, so a lot of those lines follow them whenever possible. Check out the route from North Station to South Station, for example; instead of going through most of downtown it goes over to the river and as far west as Arlington Street before cutting back east-southeast through the Common.

I don't think anyone's posted it yet, but some Hubway stations have been put back out as of yesterday. Full relaunch is expected March 1st.

Glad to see they kept their word. obviously, the lack of February snow tsunamis helped.

Of course. the upcoming March 21st snowstorm will be a hassle for the system to deal with.

Thanks, folks. By the way, that map is based on 57 stations, which are what exist in the three days of October data released for this contest. Weren't there supposed to be a few more stations (60 or so)? Does anybody know offhand if there were a few that never happened in the fall, or else were installed after Columbus Day?

czsz, it would indeed be interesting to see all that in relation to bike lanes and such. One thing I can say right now is that Google's bike routing seems to strongly favor bike paths and lanes, so a lot of those lines follow them whenever possible. Check out the route from North Station to South Station, for example; instead of going through most of downtown it goes over to the river and as far west as Arlington Street before cutting back east-southeast through the Common.

They never reached 60 stations.

What would be nice if Hubway had opted for bikes with GPS, as made available. That would have provided a shit-ton of info on what routes cyclists actually use.

Im a bit confused as to why they havent announced expansion stations? They had all winter to get the details down. when it comes to PR, Hubway doesn't do a very good job. You're supposed to get people excited by keeping them informed.

Capital BikeShare expanded their system by 5 new stations within the past 10 days. (They didnt close for the non-winter). Over winter, CaBi added something like 25 new stations.

http://bostinno.com/2012/02/28/bost...ikes-142000-trips-50-miles-of-new-bike-lanes/
When Mayor Menino launched Boston Bikes in 2007, Boston was perennially rated among the worst cities in the country for cycling. Four years later, I am thrilled to report that Boston has officially gained recognition as one of the great cities for cycling in the United States, heralding a new era for cycling in the city. Each year, we have had more and more to celebrate, but 2011 brought some of our biggest achievements yet:

Mayor Menino launched the New Balance Hubway bike share system in July with 60 stations and 600 bicycles, making Boston one of only a handful of cities in the United States with full-size bike share systems. In its first year, people took 142,000 trips across Boston on Hubway bikes. The program looks to expand into neighboring cities and into more Boston locations in 2012.

Boston’s Community Bike Programs continued to serve as a model of biking equity, capping a tremendous two-year run, which included donating more than 1,000 bikes to low-income residents and providing on-the-bike training to nearly 8,000 youth. The program received multiple awards and was featured in Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move” newsletter as a best practice.

Boston celebrated the installation of its 50th mile of new bike lane, notably located on Massachusetts Avenue, the spine of the city’s on-road bike network. Looking forward, Boston seeks to add progressive facilities, namely protected bicycle lanes such as cycletracks and neighborways, to encourage novice riders.

Throughout the year, many of the City’s ongoing efforts drew gratifying national recognition. In 2011, the City of Boston fulfilled a three-year goal, earning the “silver” level designation from the League of American Bicyclists’ Bicycle Friendly Community program. The Alliance for Biking and Walking ranked Boston as the #1 Safest Biking and Walking City in the nation, with the highest overall rate of biking and walking. Forbes ranked Boston as the third healthiest city, while MSNBC named Boston a “best walking and biking city.”

"We welcome all of you to attend the 2011 Annual Boston Bikes Update at the Boston Public Library, Tuesday, February 28, 2012, 6:15pm – 8:30pm at the Rabb Lecture Hall. For more information about Boston Bikes, please visit http://www.cityofboston.gov/bikes/"

PS go ahead and keep fighting me on this if you want. I enjoy it. Not too many things make me more contentious than being obstructed by a grown man on a bicycle. The few may make you look worse overall, but you should not be on a road unless you can keep up with the speed limit.

It's pretty amazing how the term "speed limit" now seems to mean "minimum speed" to so many people. It's the limit, meaning the maximum speed you should be traveling. Except for interstate highways, roads do not have minimum speeds.

Funny though how a bicycle in your path of travel somehow enrages you but when it's a slower moving car it's just fine. Never mind the fact that it's the other cars that cause the vast majority of traffic congestion to begin with...

I would be more enraged by the slow driver myself, but the bicyclist would under no circumstances be immune from profanity or an obscene gesture either.

Has this news been posted here yet?

http://dailyfreepress.com/2012/03/0...cks-with-4-8-million-national-stimulus-funds/

MBTA to install more bike racks with $4.8 million national stimulus funds
Written by Samantha Tatro

The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority is gearing up to add more than 600 bicycle parking-spots to T stations in and around Boston by the end of the summer.

The MBTA recently received $4.8 million of national stimulus funding from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act to expand and improve its bicycle parking facilities, said MBTA spokeswoman Lydia Rivera in an email.

The T has already begun construction on three bike cages, or Pedal and Parks, slated to be finished by the spring, she said. It plans to complete three more by the end of the summer.

“The benefit of a cage program is significant. Providing sufficient bike parking will provide customers with an alternative to driving their car to the station,” Rivera said. “The option to cycle will help to reduce greenhouse gas and other pollution, and there will be health benefits to the rider. The MBTA is one of the first transit agencies in the U.S. to construct this type of bike cage.”

Each bike cage will hold about 100 bikes and be equipped with chain-link fence enclosures, security gates, canopies, lighting, multiple security cameras and emergency call boxes. The MBTA has begun construction on Pedal and Parks at the South Station, Oak Grove and Braintree stations, and will soon begin work at the Malden, Davis and Ashmont stations, she said.

“As the T’s first bike cages at Alewife, Forest Hills and South Stations continue to get more and more use, the MBTA is ready to build additional bike cages throughout the T system,” Rivera said.

“Increasingly popular among bicyclists looking to keep their bikes in a secured facility, the camera-monitored bike cages can only be accessed with special Bike CharlieCards.”

By the spring of 2013, Rivera said, the MBTA plans to build six more bike cages, bringing the total number of Pedal and Parks to 12.

In addition, the MBTA will construct 50 covered bike racks, 15 of which opened last year. The rest will open throughout the coming spring and summer, she said.

Many city cyclists said that they would use the planned facilitates.

Access to bike cages “would make me more likely to take my bike out in the rain,” said Boston University College of Communication junior Conor Sullivan. “On rainy or snowy days I would definitely love to park my bike in a covered shed. Precipitation messes up the gears and makes my butt wet when I hop back on.”

Andrew Weaver, a sophomore in COM, said although he rides his bike around campus and to places such as Cambridge or Allston, he usually keeps his bike in his room to avoid theft or damage.

“If I ever had to bike to the T, then I most likely would [park it in a bike cage] rather than leave it outside,” Weaver said, adding that despite the added security, he might not use the parking stations at
all.

Weaver said since he lives near a T stop, having a bike shed available would make little difference to him.

“The sheds seem like a great idea to have at some locations like North Station and South Station or maybe on the end of each line,” Weaver said. “I . . . can’t imagine many situations where I would use them.”

Weaver said often he does not have to ride the T at all.

Boston has more than 50 miles of bike lanes, according to a city press release.

“One of the great things about bicycling is that you don’t have to rely on or pay for public transportation,” he said. “I’m not in a situation where it would make sense for me to ride to a T stop and go somewhere on the train because 99 percent of the time I can get to my destination faster via bicycle.”

College of Arts and Sciences sophomore Alexandre Todorov also said he bikes to avoid using the T, but if he had to park his bike near a T stop, he “would be much happier knowing [his] bike is protected from the rain.”

Todorov said he would use the Pedal and Parks since his “bike would be safe and I would have greater freedom of movement through the city.”

That was all schedules to be done by fall 2011, btw.

But it's the MBTA, where even a bike rack project means a year long delay.

That was all schedules to be done by fall 2011, btw.

But it's the MBTA, where even a bike rack project means a year long delay.

Don't have a url -- but I heard / saw on a local TV News that Hubway is expanding:

1) Brookline now -- stattions up and running by April / May
2) Cambridge and Sommmerville this year -- probably by September

Anyone else can confirm?

I saw that too, maybe in the metro. I am curious and very disappointed on why it is taking so long to get to cambridge and somerville. I mean Mass Ave to porter has bike lanes, as does davis. I feel like Kendall Central Harvard Porter Davis Inman and the Galleria should just get them when the all go back up. It shouldnt be hard at all. Then fill in the gaps on other key sides as people start using them and they understand the movement trends.

in short, WTF are they doing April-August when not setting up the bikes... it was clearly successful?

I saw that too, maybe in the metro. I am curious and very disappointed on why it is taking so long to get to cambridge and somerville. I mean Mass Ave to porter has bike lanes, as does davis. I feel like Kendall Central Harvard Porter Davis Inman and the Galleria should just get them when the all go back up. It shouldnt be hard at all. Then fill in the gaps on other key sides as people start using them and they understand the movement trends.

in short, WTF are they doing April-August when not setting up the bikes... it was clearly successful?

Choo -- i'm guessing Cambridge wants to arrange a number of major employers to sign-on and be on the "team" when things are formally unveiled:
MIT, Harvard, Novartis, Biogen, Amgen, Genzyme, Draper, Volpe, Google, Microsoft, Edu First, MOS, EMC, SAO, Lesley -- would be a good start -- note this list did not include anything near to Alewife

This kind of list takes some amount of time to organize and deciide on placement of the stations

Sommerville should be easier -- but I doubt that Sommerville would want to upstage Cambridge on this

Back