Biking in Boston

(St Mary's could also be in the running but already has several Boston Hubway stops nearby).

Thats a good thing.

Say you spread your stations out, 1 mile or more apart. And then say you arrive at your destination and all the docks are full. Now what? Riding a mile away to dock defeats the whole purpose of using the bikes...and it leaves a very sour note.

If youre at one station, and you can actually see another one from where youre standing, thats almost never a problem.

True for smaller stations, but the Brookline ones will be 15 at minimum, and Hubway has been doing a great job at shifting capacity around when needed. With a budget for only four stations, I imagine that Brookline will prioritize coverage over redundancy.

Does anyone know what kind of cycling infrastructure Fort Lauderdale has now? It's been about seven years since I was there, however I was recently in Naples and Sarasota and was impressed to see the number of bike lanes, even if the entire time I was there I saw a grand total of two people using them (plus one girl riding down the sidewalk). However, I'm just looking at that map and some of those stops, like the one on Sunrise where it duplexes with Route 1. That is an eight lane highway and not somewhere I'd really want to be caught riding a bike, even with a bike lane.

I can see some of the ones along A1A, though I'm surprised they didn't put one or two along Las Olas so that the single station in the Downtown isn't so disconnected, and for access to the shopping and dining along Las Olas.

True for smaller stations, but the Brookline ones will be 15 at minimum, and Hubway has been doing a great job at shifting capacity around when needed. With a budget for only four stations, I imagine that Brookline will prioritize coverage over redundancy.

Id still be more comfortable with more options, but year, theoretically a very large station would solve the problem of the dock being full or empty. The issue is space.

erikyow, sorry cant tell you about Ft Lauderdale. But if its anything like Miami, it sucks.

I only noticed it tonight for the first time, but the bike lanes have been added to Mass Ave north of Symphony Hall. And the parallel parking on Mass Ave northbound has been removed accordingly.

Yeah, if you go into Jass' link the photos there are the same exact thing I saw tonight. Striping on both sides of the avenue:

http://bostonbiker.org/2011/12/29/pics-of-massave-bike-lanes/

startingupagainnearsymphony.jpg

noparking-e1325185610588.jpg

nearthechurch.jpg

gapnearbestbuy.jpg

carsalreadyblockingthem.jpg

Again, all photos from Boston Biker.

Until the city removes the meters from northbound Mass. Ave. next to the Christian Science Church, people are going to continue parking there. The meters are more visually prominent than the small "No Parking" signs or the bike lane striping.

Until the city removes the meters from northbound Mass. Ave. next to the Christian Science Church, people are going to continue parking there. The meters are more visually prominent than the small "No Parking" signs or the bike lane striping.

Or at least cover them.

There were two meters in kenmore square that remained in place for over 6 months when they should had been removed immediately. Anyone parking there was blocking the travel lane.

How much does it cost to paint a bicycle lane green?

How much does it cost to paint a bicycle lane green?

A lot.

As in "didnt get get rid of the mafia...?"

In LA:

According to the city’s bike plan, the cost of one mile of bike lanes is either $30,000 or $50,000 (there are differing figures shown in different places… actual material costs are on the low end… analysis, design, outreach, etc. add up to the higher figure.) According to the city fact sheet distributed at today’s green lane press conference, the Spring Street one-way paint cost was about $150,000 and the First Street thermoplastic was about $250,000. So figuring a per-mile bike lanes cost, the green comes out to about $200,000/mile for paint-continuous or $150,000/mile for thermoplastic-conflict-zones. Either of those amounts would more than triple the ~$30,000 materials cost of conventional bike lanes.

http://laecovillage.wordpress.com/2...ts-green-bike-lane-on-first-street/#more-2319

Goo thing Hubway was put away in November, what with this unbikeable weather, amirite?

Goo thing Hubway was put away in November, what with this unbikeable weather, amirite?

I was actually thinking that today, seeing how it was 60 degrees, but I'm honestly glad the Hubway closes for the winter. People driving couldn't even avoid the kiosks when there was beautiful weather. I can't even imagine the extent of the damage that would be done to the bikes and kiosks if they were left out there for the winter, with plows bashing into them and people trying to park bashing into them. In particular, I'm thinking of the Brigham Circle station, as it's the closest to me and has the most asinine siting ever.

To be fair, it did snow here this past week and it did make a mess.

Somerville's two on-street bike parking corrals were also removed for the winter, shortly before Christmas. Is The Other Side's bike corral still there on Newbury Street?

I was actually thinking that today, seeing how it was 60 degrees, but I'm honestly glad the Hubway closes for the winter. People driving couldn't even avoid the kiosks when there was beautiful weather. I can't even imagine the extent of the damage that would be done to the bikes and kiosks if they were left out there for the winter, with plows bashing into them and people trying to park bashing into them. In particular, I'm thinking of the Brigham Circle station, as it's the closest to me and has the most asinine siting ever.

To be fair, it did snow here this past week and it did make a mess.

I fully agree that plows an stations dont mix. My stance is that the removal should have been weather dependent, not date dependent, precisely for this reason.

Back