Biking in Boston

A bunch of these signs popping up in the Financial District. Looks pretty useful.

upcUb.jpg

More signs are good, and obviously they dont just help cyclists, they help pedestrians to.

Boston sucks at wayfinding signs.

More signs are good, and obviously they dont just help cyclists, they help pedestrians to.

Boston sucks at wayfinding signs.

Jass -- new signs should somehow be High-tech-ed so that if not not now then in a couple of years -- someone should be able to point a phone at the sign and get maps and details about local venues of significance, etc.

A-bit -- like the silly Giant Mappins that sprouted a few years ago that you could text for more information

Poll time!

What will happen first this year?

NYC will have 140 bike share stations in operation

or

Hubway will reach 70 stations.

Ive got my money on NYC.

NYC. I'm really afraid that the Hubway expansion in Boston proper will be stalled for years...

Not knowing anything about NYC's current numbers or expansion plans, I'll jump on the band wagon and vote for NYC @ 140. But I have to point out that 140 for NYC is absolutely terrible compared to 70 for Boston. If we could maintain a constant 1:2 ratio with New York, we would have a clearly better program.

Isn't NY 20 times bigger than Boston? Isn't Boston already a year ahead of NY? Doesn't stop the ArchBoston "I wish I lived in NY" negativity. I've gone from checking the forum constantly to checking a couple of times a week.

Not knowing anything about NYC's current numbers or expansion plans, I'll jump on the band wagon and vote for NYC @ 140. But I have to point out that 140 for NYC is absolutely terrible compared to 70 for Boston. If we could maintain a constant 1:2 ratio with New York, we would have a clearly better program.

I chose 140 for two reasons.

Its double the Boston size (so an easy number)

And also, remember Hubway claiming it takes an entire month to roll out 61 stations because theres a single crane-truck and it takes time?

So in reality, its Hubway adding 9 stations this summer (going from 61 to 70) versus NYC launching 140.

Thats the contest.

(NYC is planning to have ~400 this summer)

400 for NYC sounds a bit more limited than 70 for Boston.

400 for NYC sounds a bit more limited than 70 for Boston.

When they release their map in a week or so, we'll be able to see if theyre doing it right or not.

Dont also let arbitrary geographic separations get in the way. For example, while NYC includes Staten island, when it comes to (initial) bike share, that land mass and population must be completely ignored.

Just like it wouldnt have made sense to stick 2 stations in east boston.

A bunch of these signs popping up in the Financial District. Looks pretty useful.

upcUb.jpg

Can someone explain how Government Center and Faneuil Hall are really different distances from this spot? They're next to one another.

The bike station is on the Cambridge St side of City Hall Plaza and the Plaza is VAST.

Can someone explain how Government Center and Faneuil Hall are really different distances from this spot? They're next to one another.

"Government Center" is probably being assumed as where the T station is in front of 1-2-3 (also where the Hubway station is). From that point in the FiDi, you would have to bike up a hill to get up there adding the .2 miles. Faneuil Hall is at the same level the sign is at.

"Government Center" is probably being assumed as where the T station is in front of 1-2-3 (also where the Hubway station is). From that point in the FiDi, you would have to bike up a hill to get up there adding the .2 miles. Faneuil Hall is at the same level the sign is at.

you walk your bike across the plaza from he bunker to the steps

Then down the steps to Congress St. -- cross Congress, pass Sam Adams and we are there

or stop and have a Sam Adams

Last edited:
When they release their map in a week or so, we'll be able to see if theyre doing it right or not.

Dont also let arbitrary geographic separations get in the way. For example, while NYC includes Staten island, when it comes to (initial) bike share, that land mass and population must be completely ignored.

Just like it wouldnt have made sense to stick 2 stations in east boston.

And the map has been released, including station sizes.

From casually selecting stations, most of them will be massive. Penn Station will have 170 docks.

Back