Biking in Boston

Does anyone know a full list of existing and planned MBTA pedal park and rides?

Also, I thought one was due to be installed in Jackson Sq, but there isn't one, nor can I find plans for one. I'd love to leave a bike there, but I see bikes with their wheels stolen all the time. I feel like mine would disapear entirely in one weekend.

This is what it says on their website:
Pedal & Park facilities are now open at Alewife and Forest Hills Stations. On April 16th new Pedal & Park facilities opened at South Station, Braintree, and Oak Grove. Between June and September 2013, seven more Pedal & Parks will open at Ashmont, Davis, Malden, Back Bay, Dudley, Alewife and Wonderland Stations.
http://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/bikes/

I wish they would put one at Maverick Square. That would help a lot of people in Chelsea and East Boston out. I can ride my bike from Chelsea to Maverick Square in about the same amount of time or less it usually takes the 116/117 to show up.

The Davis cage is already open. I'm surprised that a third one at Alewife is prioritized over expansion to other stations.

Contrary to what so many cycle-phobes seem to think, I now believe that more bicycles on the streets of Boston will have a calming effect on bike traffic. I don't know how many it takes, but at some critical mass the speed demon cyclists that give the rest of us a bad name will have to fall in line with the average girl on a big cruiser.

What is most likely is that faster cyclists will select new routes once that critical mass is achieved. I see this some times on the SouthWest Corridor path. It gets congested, and some opt to leave the path and ride along either Amory or LaMartine streets.

The bike parking problem is over an order of magnitude more manageable than the car parking problem, but it is still a problem. That's why, ultimately, I'm an advocate of transportation modes that don't require a personal vehicle.

According to the map, there are three new stations in Cambridge and three in Somerville.

Porter Square went in on 6/17, Mass Ave/Cameron and Broadway/Fayette went in on 7/2 and the three Somerville locations are going in today.

Those stations in Somerville will be hugely helpful. That part of the system was always tricky because there was nothing anywhere nearby if a station was full or there were no bikes.

Those stations in Somerville will be hugely helpful. That part of the system was always tricky because there was nothing anywhere nearby if a station was full or there were no bikes.
I saw them installing the new one at Tufts--on Packard Ave as it climbs the Hill from Powderhouse Blvd. Its kind of a tricky slope--is Tufts not cooperating?

Hm, nothing on their facebook, thanks for pointing them out

Is it just me or is Harvard Square a strangely crummy place to bike, considering that it's Cambridge?

Is it just me or is Harvard Square a strangely crummy place to bike, considering that it's Cambridge?

Every mode of transportation is equally bad in Harvard Square, everything has through there. I love it, but getting around sucks.

Every mode of transportation is equally bad in Harvard Square, everything has through there. I love it, but getting around sucks.

Particularly biking and driving. Walking is your best bet to get around the square. If you're getting there from outside, Red or bus are your best options. On the rare occasion that I drive to Harvard Square, I'm quickly cursing myself for even having such an asinine idea.

Southbound biking in Harvard Square is fine. Northbound (towards Porter) is bad for two reasons: messy merge and split at Johnson Gate, and bone-shakingly awful pavement conditions next to and just beyond Flagstaff Park.

Either that park map is wrong, or theyre blocking the bus tunnel for outbound buses

I hope the map is wrong. Every outbound bus going around the Common would be crazy.

Back