Biking in Boston

Rinserepeat, how would you extend the Southwest Corridor? Along the railroad into Hyde Park?

I'd do a two-way cycletrack along washington until you get to franklin place, and then "neighborways" or "bike blvd" along the streets that run parallel to the tracks until you get to dale street (there are some cut-throughs back in there) - a path through sherin woods and then back out to somewhere near the hyde park commuter rail stop.

I'm having a hard time visualizing what this is, and I can't find a walking in Boston thread: http://www.mhd.state.ma.us/default.asp?pgid=content/hearings/boston_050614&sid=hearing

The proposed project consists of designing a new ADA compliant overhead/pedestrian bridge over O'Brien Highway and Nashua Street which connects directly to the MBTA Science Station on the Green Line. At grade improvements will also be made to the intersection below. The proposed bridge structure will provide multi modal accommodations for pedestrians and cyclists.

If I’m reading it right, Mass DOT is proposing to build big ramps from the sidewalk near the Science Museum up to the platform level at Science Park? There’s a public meeting tomorrow at 6:30 at the West End Museum, I’m planning on going to at least the first bit.

Somerville mayor's op-ed in the Somerville Times

Hubway, regional bike investments build community
By Joseph A. Curtatone

In early April I joined in the reopening celebration of Hubway, one of the smartest bicycle infrastructure investments our region has made—and one of the most telling when it comes to understanding how our city and our nation are evolving. The country is undergoing the greatest demographic shift since the 1950s when people fled cities for the suburbs. Today that trend is reversing. People are returning to the urban core at historic levels as they seek the vibrancy and connectivity of bikeable, walkable, transit-oriented urban neighborhoods. Somerville, and the Boston region, are experiencing this shift too as we seek to make Greater Boston the most bikeable and walkable region in the country. But it’s about far more than sustainable transit. I believe what’s driving this trend is also a desire for community, which is at the heart of what makes Somerville the city we love.

People today demand neighborhoods where they can walk or bike to public transit, work, stores and services. Families want options for getting to work that don’t include sitting in traffic, and want to live where it’s easy for their children to lead active lifestyles. Young professionals crave walking routes and bike lanes, along with access to public transit. Retirees want to walk to the neighborhood store and the local coffee shop. Ultimately, all of these groups want to live in the kind of vibrant, close-knit communities that are created when faces aren’t blurs seen through car windows, but people out on sidewalks and in the streets and paths, walking, pushing strollers and biking.

Somerville is working to meet that demand by making it easier, safer and more appealing to bike and walk. On the biking side, we have doubled our bike network that now has more than 30 miles of bike lanes in a 4.1 square mile city, and added more than 300 new bike parking spots to city streets since 2011. Two years ago, we joined the Hubway bikeshare system with 12 stations, garnering thousands of rides monthly. And the soon-to-be completed Community Path extension will connect it to the future Lowell Street Green Line station and eventually to Cambridge, Boston and beyond.

Meeting that demand cannot be incumbent on a single city, though, and fortunately Somerville is not alone. MassDOT’s rehabilitation of the Longfellow Bridge between Boston and Cambridge will make this heavily trafficked commuter route better and safer for bicyclists and pedestrians, and plans for the Cambridge Street bridge in Allston now include a cycle track with dedicated bike lanes and barriers separating them from the car lanes. Elsewhere in the metro region, a 4.1 mile stretch of the Northern Strand Community Trail has been paved from Malden to Everett, bringing us closer to a true seamless bike and walking connection from Malden to Somerville’s own Community Path. And MetroWest communities are getting closer to turning a 23-mile abandoned rail line into a bike and walk path that could reach the Waverly commuter rail station in Belmont—not too far from where it could also eventually connect to our Community Path.

Greater Boston is creating a biking and walking network, and we’re seeing the effects of investment. In Somerville, biking has risen by 56 percent over two years. Biking and walking to work continues to increase according to the Alliance for Biking and Walking’s biennial report released this past month, most noticeably in cities, and Boston has the highest share of walking commuters. Meanwhile, the long-term trend for bicycling and pedestrian fatalities is downward, and biking is safer in larger cities where roads are evolving to accommodate all forms of travel.

We need to seize this opportunity because developing our pedestrian and bike infrastructure, along with building near transit, can eliminate traffic impacts and over time shift more commuters from the roads onto our sidewalks, subways and bike routes. It helps achieve environmental justice: a recent study by the University of Minnesota found that non-white people inhale 38 percent higher levels of air pollution than whites, and Greater Boston has the fourth highest pollution disparity between whites and nonwhites. That’s particularly important to Somerville, where approximately 38,000 of our residents live within environmental justice zones, shouldering a disproportionate burden of environmental impacts caused by traffic and industry.

Building routes for bikes and pedestrians also brings community because it builds the vibrancy that comes when increased foot traffic helps the stores, restaurants, cafes and services in our neighborhoods flourish. And when our businesses flourish our squares and nearby parks are filled—with our neighbors. Making our region walkable, bikeable and transit-oriented creates urban rooms—active streetscapes supported by workers during the day and residents during the night.

This isn’t just about biking. This is about the kind of community we want to build—equitable, connected, healthy and convenient for residents—and a place where you bump into friends on a street corner, chat with other parents at the neighborhood park, or wave to your barber when you walk by his shop. Economic health then follows suit. Thriving squares filled with busy businesses creates a resilient, self-sufficient economic base for cities and the region. And when we make connections that move pedestrians and cyclists between neighborhoods, we create the growth and vitality that will help us bring back historic neighborhoods such as Brickbottom and Inner Belt. Hubway is one of a number of invaluable tools to make and increase those connections. I’m pleased that a new Hubway station is now open at Magoun Square and I look forward to the expansion of Hubway eastward in our city. Spring is here—let’s get out and ride.

In Somerville, biking has risen by 56 percent over two years.

wow - Somerville already had fairly high bike mode share...

What is frustrating to me is that the only numbers that get press are the ACS data, and they have a very high margin of error and they don't count students - actual traffic counts are more reliable, but it's very hard to find this data (and I know Boston's own counts are very piecemeal).

I wonder if MassDOT is going to include bikes and peds as part of their roadway traffic volume counts in the future.

wow - Somerville already had fairly high bike mode share...

What is frustrating to me is that the only numbers that get press are the ACS data, and they have a very high margin of error and they don't count students - actual traffic counts are more reliable, but it's very hard to find this data (and I know Boston's own counts are very piecemeal).

I wonder if MassDOT is going to include bikes and peds as part of their roadway traffic volume counts in the future.

Well, there's also advocacy groups and municipal departments organizing counts, such as Medford's Bicycle Advisory Commission's upcoming (this week) count that is looking for volunteers:
https://www.facebook.com/medfordbikes

Are those traffic monitors you see (similar to whatever rings the bell at a gas station) pressure sensitive? I imagine they could be configured to tell the difference between a 2000lb car and a 200lb person+bike. There has got to be a better way to count bike traffic than actually standing there counting bicycles.

The City of Boston trialed some video counters (with software that counted cars, maybe bikes and peds) two or three years ago, I don't know how they compared to the tubes or what the result was.
I think with the tubes, you have to run sets to each lane, so unless you have a bike lane with it's own set of tubes you can't separate the bikes from the cars, assuming that bikes register at all.

This is the website the City of Cambridge put up for suggesting bike improvements in Cambridge. I have to say, it's very well made and allows for lots of input on why a street should be improved. I'm only disappointed it doesn't allow a drop-box for suggesting a bike lane, cycle track, etc.

If I'm biking over the Alford St Bridge from Everett into Charlestown, and need to get over to Main St... how do I navigate Sullivan Square without getting killed? Cross the bridge, hop off the bike, walk it all the way around on the sidewalks?

If I'm biking over the Alford St Bridge from Everett into Charlestown, and need to get over to Main St... how do I navigate Sullivan Square without getting killed? Cross the bridge, hop off the bike, walk it all the way around on the sidewalks?

This is how I've made it through Sullivan at least a dozen times. Usually originating from Somerville and going to Charlestown or Everett. I'm not sure if I've ever entered from Everett. This is my line of thinking for navigating other large rotaries including Powderhouse.

1) Know where you are going before entering the rotary. It helps a lot if you've driven through it a few times in a car.

2) Take the lane (though stay in the outer/right lane) and ride fast enough to follow the traffic flow. It doesn't actually move all that fast, so if you are doing 15 mph the cars behind you won't freak out. I honestly think that riding fast and in the lane is the safest way through these kind of car-centric facilities.

3) In the end, it's really not as big as it looks. Speed helps to shrink it even more. I think the threats are the cars entering the rotary, not the ones in it with you so keep your eyes on them and try to make eye contact.

If that recipe doesn't sound safe to you, or you don't feel comfortable once you get there, then just dismount and cross as a pedestrian. It'll only cost you a few minutes.

This is how I've made it through Sullivan at least a dozen times. Usually originating from Somerville and going to Charlestown or Everett. I'm not sure if I've ever entered from Everett. This is my line of thinking for navigating other large rotaries including Powderhouse.

1) Know where you are going before entering the rotary. It helps a lot if you've driven through it a few times in a car.

2) Take the lane (though stay in the outer/right lane) and ride fast enough to follow the traffic flow. It doesn't actually move all that fast, so if you are doing 15 mph the cars behind you won't freak out. I honestly think that riding fast and in the lane is the safest way through these kind of car-centric facilities.

3) In the end, it's really not as big as it looks. Speed helps to shrink it even more. I think the threats are the cars entering the rotary, not the ones in it with you so keep your eyes on them and try to make eye contact.

If that recipe doesn't sound safe to you, or you don't feel comfortable once you get there, then just dismount and cross as a pedestrian. It'll only cost you a few minutes.

Thank you. I probably should have thought of #1. Then again, I hate driving through Sullivan, too.

I feel the biggest problem is where Alford ends at Maffa and Cambridge. I'd keep to the outside, but then I need to be in the left turn lanes.

Do you guys keep a policy to always walk on the sidewalks? I know it is against the law in Boston, but I view the law like jaywalking. If the street is a chaotic mess, the sidewalk is not one of those 1ft wide POS covered with glass/dusk, and there's few pedestrians, I would just ride on the sidewalk.?**

I mean the reason I see against riding on the sidewalk is when there's people walking on it like Newbury St or Downtown Boston. It's quite understandable there's a law against it as people don't want to get run over or even discomforted by the feel of someone ride past that close. But most sidewalks are not that crowded and when the street is not safe, I see no reason why I need to walk over ride on the sidewalk.

**Note: This is asking more in general over focusing on Sullivan. Sullivan SQ is almost a perfect example except much of its sidewalks are narrow, sandy glass mess.

I believe the only prohibition against riding on sidewalks is in commercial areas. I think the litmus test is if there are doorways that open directly onto the sidewalk, then you cannot ride there. People entering the sidewalk cannot see you no matter how slow you are going.

However, you have to ride so slowly on a sidewalk to be safe anyway that I almost never do it. For example, some parkways have literally no shoulder so I'll get on the sidewalk.

Massbike has great resources on your legal rights as a cyclist: http://massbike.org/resourcesnew/bike-law/

-You may ride on sidewalks outside business districts, unless local laws prohibit sidewalk riding.

For Sullivan, I definitely use the sidewalk to get from Maffa to Charlestown's Main Street. This will improve following the Rutherford road diet, but for now there is no easy way.

I know there is a strong contingent that never uses sidewalks--and rightly so! That is the ideal. But I do use sidewalks where historic infrastructure makes road cycling downright dangerous.

Sullivan is a prime example. It isn't the drivers' faults, really. The environment pushes otherwise decent drivers to do dangerous things: speed, run lights, take sharp turns, weave, and tailgate.

As a full-time cyclist, my opinion is, if the infrastructure aggressively raises my risk of accident on a roadway where I'm legally permitted to ride, then I'll use alternatives like sidewalks to avoid the riskier situation. Some might argue going on and off sidewalks is riskier. I think that's a personal choice.

When it comes to bikes and cars, principles sometimes get run over.

I ride on two sidewalks, out of necessity because the infrastructure was designed to prohibit roadway access. The first is coming off the Allston footbridge, you're forced to ride the sidewalk down to Harvard Ave because of Jersey barriers. The other place is the ramp from the Charles River bike path up to mass ave, and then the small section of sidewalk till back street. It sucks, but there are some places where the roadway is designed so badly you have no choice. It would be nice to see all of those instances taken care of.

In general, I feel that cycling on the sidewalk is rude to pedestrians. We get pissed when not_bikes are in bike lanes; I feel like the sidewalk is really for pedestrian activity, whatever the law says. Moreso, pedestrians can and do stop change direction on a dime, and that's way too much risk of hitting them for me, even going slowly. I mean, I almost plow into people on foot.

The Memorial Drive side paths are the main place where I bike on the sidewalk. What choice do we have? Memorial Drive is designed like a highway (thanks, MassholeDCR), and the sidepaths are tiny and decrepit (meanwhile the roadway is in great shape, thanks to MassholeDCR's misplaced priorities).

In general I would say that you need to pick the route of greater safety. Sidewalks are usually not so safe because of the expectations of pedestrians (fair enough) and because of street crossings (cars won't see you). On the sidewalk at a crossing you have to take extra care not to get right-hooked. I prefer to ride in the street wherever possible, but I am comfortable jockeying with cars. I don't care if they honk at me, fuck em, I'm taking the lane; it's my right and it's often safer.

What I really hate to see is bicyclists hugging the side of the lane next to the row of parked cars. It's so insanely stupid to do that, and I know the only reason that bicyclists do that is because they are intimidated by cars. Take the fucking lane! It's the law and it's the right thing to do.

I bike from East cambridge to back bay along Mem Drive pretty often. I try to stay on the dirt path (hubway, but wouldn't with my own bike.) The riverwalk is no even wide enough for all the walkers/runners. They really need to make a cycle track on the interior for many parts. It would be a major commuting thoroughfare- it already is but the infrastructure isn't there

Re Sullivan Square rotary, I just bike around the rotary as well. Take the lane, don't hug the curb, be assertive, and signal your turn. It's a little uncomfortable but I've never had any issues.

I'm not quite sure Memorial Drive is the example when I broach this earlier. Okay, maybe I'm just rationalizing, but I view that thing as a bike path rather than a sidewalk. Granted, bike-path/sidewalk that needs to be wider and kept to better shape, but I still don't view it as a sidewalk. It's a bike path.

The MIT side of Memorial Drive would fit much better to what I meant (except at times there can be a good number of students on it - but also moments there's none at all). If I were to bike (and did bike) on the MIT side, I would bike on the sidewalk. I'm not even sure if there were bike lanes on Memorial that I would take that over the MIT sidewalk.

Also to Choo, while I think it is already a major thoroughfare. I guess that only elevates that they really should widen/cycle-track the thing.

Also to Matthew, I don't hate when cyclist take the right side. I have taken the right side plenty of times and I did it because It felt right not because I was intimidated nor would say other cyclist was intimidated. In my own personal policy, taking the whole lane outside of turning left and when I view as dangerous which doesn't quite sound extensive like being near some parked cars (for Memorial Drive, that chance there is high enough to justify taking the whole lane though more for speed than the parked cars, except I would either take the sidewalk on the MIT side or "bike path" on the river side). In short, taking all of that as a whole, I don't advocate taking the lane in the way you frame it - especially in the Memorial Drive context, I say take the sidewalk/path.

I usually just avoid Mem Drive altogether, particularly between BU Bridge and Longfellow Bridge. I will either use the paths on the Boston side or take a route through Cambridge on regular streets (i.e. Vassar St or Mass Ave).

Re taking the lane, it's actually less dangerous than hugging the side. You have more a chance of being thrown off your bike by someone opening the door of a parked car than you have of being hit from behind. And if you're taking the lane, you force drivers to change lanes to pass you rather than try to squeeze by when there isn't enough room to safely do so.

Back