Biking in Boston

I am getting excited for this project. I think it will be a great addition for residents and tourists. Especially since the first half hour will be free, I could see many people using this for short jaunts around the city. I know I'll be using it in addition to my own bike.

I've been searching online for a map of the proposed station locations, but haven't come across one yet. Post one if any of you find one, please!

Bike-Sharing System Coming to Boston - Brookline, MA Patch

http://brookline.patch.com/articles/bike-sharing-system-coming-to-boston-4

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino announced a new bicycle-sharing program today that will allow users to rent bikes at 61 stations throughout every Boston neighborhood and return them at stations in other neighborhoods.
Starting this summer, the new program called New Balance Hubway, due to New Balance's sponsorship, will set up locations in Kenmore Square, Roxbury, the South End, the Longwood Medical area, Allston, Brighton, and the Back Bay area.

State officials are expectantly hopeful that the program will become regional, and at full size could reach as many as 5,000 bikes across Cambridge, Brookline and Somerville. Brookline Town Hall has assembled a Bike Sharing Committee, which is currently working out their role in the program.

Renters will use swipe cards to use Hubway bicycles with costs of $5 per day, and free trips that are 30 minutes or shorter. There will be $85 annual memberships. Users will rent bikes from one station and return them at another across the city, with about 10 bikes available at each station.

West Roxbury will also receive at least one station, if not more, and city officials are looking into having rentable bikes at MBTA stations. Neighborhood business districts, like Centre Street, are also expected to receive stations.

free bike rides for less than 30 min. interesting.

looks like new balance has a heavy hand in this.

also Havahd will have 5 Stations...

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2011/4/25/bike-hubway-boston-harvard/

I like this idea and I'm excited to use it this summer if available. I hope they attach a tracker to each bike though. I'm pretty sure some people will be tempted to keep these bikes.

$85 annual compared to $59 monthly link pass?! Sold! =)

I like this idea and I'm excited to use it this summer if available. I hope they attach a tracker to each bike though. I'm pretty sure some people will be tempted to keep these bikes.

I think they charge $1000 against the credit card you register with them if a bike is not returned in 24 hours.

I hope they attach a tracker to each bike though. I'm pretty sure some people will be tempted to keep these bikes.

It looks like, from the Sunday Globe article about the DC bike-sharing program, there's a $1000 fine charged to your credit card if a bike is checked out for more than 24 hours. Most of the bikes in DC that have been stolen have been retrieved, as the bikes themselves are fairly heavy and brightly colored.

That article isn't exactly clear on the pricing. For the record, at least based on other systems, including Capital Bikeshare, there is no absolutely free 30 minutes. Only the first 30 minutes of each trip (as defined as the distance from where you remove a bike to where you dock it again) taken during a purchased access period.

Just to clarify, the "free" 30 minutes are only included when you've purchased a subscription (given the common ownership, you can look to Capital Bikeshare for a similar pricing scheme, though it appears an annual membership is $75). So, if you're a casual user and decide you want to use Bixi, you'll have to still pay $5 for 24-hour access. So, if you think you'll only use the bike on one trip, it's not really worth it (in my opinion). However, if you think you'll take a bike from point A to B and then back again making stops at various places to do shopping, then it makes sense because you'll be getting several trips for the included price. I just thought I'd clarify, lest anyone be disappointed that there is no 100% free period of time, since you still have to pay for an access period

I was in DC over the week. I'm fairly confident that if it can succeed there, it can in Boston. Those drivers make Bostonians look orderly and patient and their bike infrastructure seems to be still fairly spotty in a lot of places.

http://www.capitalbikeshare.com/pricing

I love the douchebag biker in that video: "You're giving me, a bike rider, a ticket?!! I'm doing the world a favor!"

Feelings of self-importance? A biker? Nah, never happens.

Here's more douchebaggery.

http://vimeo.com/24572222

I've seen that second video. What it actually shows is that chaos works surprisingly well as an organizing principle for traffic movements.

^ Ron, did you miss the part about death and serious injury? But yes, it's true that chaos works surprisingly well in Manhattan. Probably not the case for cyclists in places like Orlando and Atlanta.

It looked to me like all of the pedestrians and cyclists were very adept at avoiding any collisions.

I love the douchebag biker in that video: "You're giving me, a bike rider, a ticket?!! I'm doing the world a favor!"

The second video shows why drivers hate cyclists, the first shows why cyclists hate drivers.

I honestly think the situation will get better when all the immature morons decide that trying to imitate bike messengers is no longer hip and move onto some other fad. Though odds are the self entitled douche bags will be the next set in SUVS distracted by lattes and electronic devices running down cyclists. A lot of the serious transportation cyclists, and outright normal people, are getting a bad rap because of a few immature assholes that think they are so 'hardcore' laws, including those of physics, don't apply to them.

The guy in the first video, who I used a derogatory word about, was actually pretty funny. The video is of him showing how it's near impossible for a biker to stay in blike lanes, given how everyone else abuses the lanes.

Maybe you didn't get the point of the video? But sure, focus on that one sentence rather than the overall presentation which is that bike lanes are often hazardous, and apparently New York has a law requiring cyclists to stay in them despite this fact.

In Boston, bikes are not required to use the bike lane, and the sorts of obstacles he encounters are far too frequent.

I followed up my obsessively focusing on one sentence by saying his point was valid.

This article available online at:
http://www.theatlantic.com/life/arc...cities-for-bike-commuting-happier-too/240265/
Copyright © 2011 by The Atlantic Monthly Group. All Rights Reserved.

America's Top Cities for Bike Commuting: Happier, Too

By Richard Florida

A nationwide analysis shows that towns where people bike to work are richer, fitter, and more successful in many other ways

Riding a bike through a city, David Byrne wrote in his book Bicycle Diaries, "is like navigating the collective neural pathways of some vast global mind." Biking, he adds, "facilitates a state of mind that allows some but not too much of the unconscious to bubble up. As someone who believes that much of the source of his work and creativity is to be gleaned from those bubbles, it's a reliable place to find that connection."
Cycling is one of my own great passions. I like nothing more than to get on my road bike and just go. My bike is not just a great way to get around, it's a great way to get to know cities.
It's also a good way to stay in shape, as witnessed by this post at the Living Streets Alliance blog, which noted the uncanny overlap between the places listed in my post on America's Fittest Cities and the cities where the greatest percentages of people who bike to work live. That got me wondering what other characteristics of metropolitan areas might be associated with higher levels of cycling. With the help of my colleague Charlotta Mellander, I took a quick look at the numbers. We used data from the American Community Survey (ACS) on the share of people by metro area who commute to work by bike.
Nationally, less than one (0.6) percent of Americans ride their bikes to work. But the share of bike commuters varies quite a bit across metros. The gallery below lists ACS figures for the top 15 metros with the largest shares of bike commuters. (These data cover entire metros; data for core or center cities may be higher.) At the top of the list are Eugene, Oregon, and Fort Collins, Colorado, where more than 5 percent of commuters bike to work. College towns dominate the list—Boulder, Colorado, Madison, Wisconsin, Santa Cruz, California, Iowa City, Iowa, Gainesville, Florida, and State College, Pennsylvania, among others. But bigger metros like Portland, Oregon, Honolulu, Sacramento, San Francisco, and San Jose (Silicon Valley) also rank highly.
Top Cities for Biking

1 :: Eugene, Oregon

Share of Commuters who Bike to Work: 5.64% Median Household Income: $42,852
Creative Class Ranking (percentage of people who are scientists, engineers, architects, educators, writers, artists, entertainers, etc.): 30.06%

Flickr/Chris Phan
Full Screen

Source: American Community Survey, Share of Commuters Who Bike to Work.All of this raises the question: What is it about these metros and others where cycling to work is more prevalent? So Mellander and I compared these figures on bike commuting to key social and economic characteristics of metros. Though all we are looking at are associations—our analysis does not infer causality and other factors may come into play—some of the findings are rather intriguing.
First off, metros where more people cycle to work are more affluent. Metros with a greater share of bike commuters have higher average wages (with a correlation of .5).

They have higher levels of education or human capital (a correlation of .5) and more knowledge-based economies as well. Cycling to work is positively associated with the share of creative class jobs (.3) and negatively associated with working class jobs (-.4).
They're more diverse. The share of commuters who cycle to work to work is positively associated with higher levels of immigrants (.3) and even more so with higher concentrations of gays and lesbians (.4).

Cycling to work also goes together with happiness. The percentage of cycling commuters is positively associated with levels of happiness and well-being, which we measure via Gallup surveys (with correlation of .5).
As for fitness, the hunch by the folks at the Living Streets Alliance was right. Metros with a higher percentage of cycling commuters boast higher rates of fitness on the American College of Sports Medicine's American Fitness Index™ (with a correlation between the two of .5).
Biking metros are richer, better-educated, and more fit than non-biking places. They're happier, and, as exemplified by Mr. Byrne, more creative too.

Image: Tim Wimborne/Reuters
This article available online at:
http://www.theatlantic.com/life/arc...cities-for-bike-commuting-happier-too/240265/

Copyright © 2011 by The Atlantic Monthly Group. All Rights Reserved.

I noticed something funny today. In pictures:

Hubway logo

stakedlogo2_reasonably_small.png

Hanjin Shipping

Hanjin_Shipping.jpg

Found the latter on a random shipping crate I saw in the Boston Harbor. The former is from the Hubway twitter.

Back