Blue Line extension to Lynn

Can I just make a totally random comment? I love that the Airport Blue Line stop is built the way it is. You enter the station and the trains on the same level - no elevators or escalators. Meaning, if you hear a train coming, you can actually make it! And, easy for travelers with luggage and families with carriages and people in wheelchairs.

Same thing with the Lechmere Green Line stop, of course.

That's not my recollection at all. People getting off the airport shuttle buses have to go up one escalator and down another to get over the tracks to the platform.

Wait, was I drunk?

Maybe you don't have any escalators if you are entering from the park entrance?

I think that's right, but most people enter the station from the airport side. I've never even used the park-side entrance.

On the other hand, the station is perfect for people getting off the train and heading for the airport buses, for exactly this reason -- straight shot walk, no climbing or descending.

it's one level when:

coming from boston going to airport shuttle bus

coming from airport shuttle bus going outbound

if you're coming from wonderland and going to the airport. shuttle bus you have to go over the tracks to get to the bus. same goes if you are coming from the airport and going to boston.

so i guess an easy summary of this is:

traveling on outbound tracks - 1 level
traveling on inbound tracks - up and over

most people enter the station from the airport side.

I wouldn't be so sure that's the case anymore. The new parkside entrance makes Airport Station the closest subway station for everyone living on Eagle Hill or the flats between Day Square and the Sumner Tunnel portal. That combined with competition from the Silver Line has definitely shifted the balance between local and airport rider at Airport station, although I'm not sure if it's enough to make local riders the majority there.

why can't we make an appeal to people with deep pockets to work with the state/mbta on a very unique, privately funded project?

There may be some concern about getting 10 cents value for every dollar the T spends. The T is an object lesson on the value of privatization.

i would love to see something like 50% funding from the private sector with a match by state and federal funds...

You'd love Japan.

There may be some concern about getting 10 cents value for every dollar the T spends. The T is an object lesson on the value of privatization.

Yeah, it's called MBCR.

The lesson has been learned by all.

The fight continues ...

After DOT call, Lynners Green (Line) with envy

By Robin Kaminski / The Daily Item
LYNN - Blue Line commuters and Lynn residents alike were undoubtedly green with envy Tuesday over the news that the MBTA's Green Line is slated to be extended into Medford in the near future.

Recommended by the state Department of Transportation, the extension of the Green Line to the Mystic Valley Parkway in Medford is part of several public transit programs intended to offset increased air pollution and traffic congestion caused by the Big Dig Estimated to cost about $700 million, the plan hinges on federal funding, which Transportation Secretary James Aloisi said he expects the extension to qualify for and anticipates construction to begin by 2012.

Under the agreement, Green Line construction must finish by the end of 2014.

Transportation officials estimate the plan, which would extend service through East Cambridge, Somerville and Medford, would generate 8,900 new riders.

State Rep. Steve Walsh said any amount of money spent on rapid transit is a positive, but emphasized that Lynn has waited long enough for its own extension.

"Cambridge, Somerville and Medford came together as a community and sued, and because of that, they were able to push ahead of us on the list," he said. "Lynn has already waited 50 years, so if there isn't some relief by rapid transit in the near future, then we need to start looking at ways to take some drastic measures as a city."
Senator Thomas McGee said while the Green Line extension is frustrating because he and other officials have waited decades for the same thing to happen in Lynn, the project is not about one being more important than the other, it was about a lawsuit.

"The Conservation Law Foundation sued the state because the project had not been finished yet," he said. "The Blue Line was not part of the mitigation and is totally separate. They are two different projects.'

McGee did say that $270 million in bond money has been specifically set aside for the Blue Line and that it continues to remain in the mix.

"We are facing a huge transportation crunch right now, but once we can resolve the larger infrastructure projects, we can move forward with the Blue Line," McGee said.

Last year, Gov. Deval Patrick submitted a transportation bill to the legislature to improve public transportation across the state, including the extension of the Blue Line rapid transit rail from Revere to Lynn.

The bill also supported extending the Green Line rapid-transit rail to Somerville and Medford; adding four stops on the Fairmont commuter rail line; making critical improvements to the Fitchburg commuter rail line; providing planning funds for the Urban Ring; commuter rail service to Fall River and New Bedford, more parking at transit hubs, and the Blue Line extension.

Two potential extension routes for the Blue Line to reach Lynn, include one path that would run through marshland alongside the existing Newburyport/Rockport commuter rail line on rail lines formerly operated by the Boston and Maine railroad. Another alternative would extend the line alongside Revere Beach Boulevard through Point of Pines and the Lynnway.

Other alternatives include increased commuter rail or bus service, or connecting the Blue Line to a commuter rail stop near Wonderland via a short connector.

http://www.thedailyitemoflynn.com/articles/2009/02/04/news/news05.txt

I'm more in favor of the Green Line extension happening before the extension to Lynn, but I still think in an important project to opening up the North Shore.

I think the green line extension is a done deal. I'm torn between wether the Blue line should go to Lynn or Salem.

With the new courthouse in the works, and money for a transportation center in the future, I think Salem would make an ideal terminus. But i'm afraid that too much ridership would be taken away from the commuter rail if the Blue Line were to intervene. Maybe the commuter rail could run express to Lynn and Chelsea only then on to North Station, while the Blue Line services Swampscott, Market Sq in Lynn, and on to Wonderland... the options are limitless since so little has been done in the past.

After a certain distance, it doesn't really make sense to use rapid transit over commuter rail. The D line for example would probably be better as commuter rail. If anyone's ever taken it all the way from Riverside to Gov't Ctr, you know that it's a pretty gruling trek as compaired to taking the commuter rail from the same area. I don't know if there's a way to work around this with the Blue Line extension. Maybe have fewer stops? But then why have rapid transit over commuter rail at all?

The D line for example would probably be better as commuter rail.

I doubt that. It used to be commuter rail, and was converted to light rail in 1959, producing a substantial increase in ridership.

The NYC subway, Washington Metro, and BART are all rapid transit systems with lines out to far-flung places.

Light rail connects neighborhoods that are close to one another without the hassel of taking heavy rail.

In 50 years all of Boston's light rail should reach the 128/95 belt. Salem/Peabody is right behind that line.

The D line goes too far for me, and the only reason it does is because its Newton. Lynn is going to get screwed for the same reason.

After a certain distance, it doesn't really make sense to use rapid transit over commuter rail. The D line for example would probably be better as commuter rail. If anyone's ever taken it all the way from Riverside to Gov't Ctr, you know that it's a pretty gruling trek as compaired to taking the commuter rail from the same area. I don't know if there's a way to work around this with the Blue Line extension. Maybe have fewer stops? But then why have rapid transit over commuter rail at all?

I disagree. Commuter rail assumes you want to get from far away place to downtown place. What about stops in the middle? Wonderland to Lynn? Lynn to airport? Brookline Village to Newton?

I have to say, I don't see the logic of expanding the Blue Line to Lynn, seeing as it has a commuter rail barreling right through the center of it. Yes, I realize the subway would run more often and get more usage as a result, plus it would allow people to commute between towns on the North Shore, but it seems to me that other projects might be better, if they are adding routes where there are none.

Regarding the commuter rail vs. the subway, it is true, taking the commuter rail saves a lot of time. Porter Square to South Station, Back Bay to South Station, and Malden Center to North Station are all better than the subway (faster).

Someone on one of the message boards was criticizing Sam Yoon for taking the commuter rail from where he lives to downtown instead of "slumming it" with everyone else on the Red Line.

What a stupid criticism. It's a matter of convenience and speed.

But, that's life in these United States.

The D line goes too far for me, and the only reason it does is because its Newton. Lynn is going to get screwed for the same reason.

Newton is next to Boston...of course is needs light rail access. Again, I think we need to expand all light rail to the 128/95 belt and push the commuter rail stops farther out ... with express trains and transferring stations along the way.

If the D line were to add an express track then we'd be talking. Then push the commuter rail out and have one or two transferring stations along the way. They should certainly do this for the Readville Branch ... aka "Indigo" Line. No more commuter rail for that route please.

Outbound travel on the D line within Newton is actually free (or was, the last time I checked) to incentivize travel. I wonder if this says anything about people needing to commute from Newton Centre to Riverside or whatever. I would guess this traffic is minimal.

A ridiculous and absurd number of people actually ride the D from Riverside downtown - there's a park and ride and signs on the 128 to encourage this. The price structure provides all the wrong incentives, too. The T should set up heavy rail mass transit with virtually direct access to the city center at competitive prices with frequent run times during rush hours and run them along the same tracks as the commuter rail - stopping at major park/ride nodes similar to 128 Station in Westwood - at something like every 10 degrees around the circumference of the city.

Outbound travel on the D line within Newton is actually free (or was, the last time I checked) to incentivize travel. I wonder if this says anything about people needing to commute from Newton Centre to Riverside or whatever. I would guess this traffic is minimal.

2006 would like to have a word with you. Thats when that policy ended

Back